PDA

View Full Version : bad cough and dizziness following flu

Ruby777
19-12-17, 20:25
Hello all,

I haven't been here in a while, as I managed to keep my anxiety under control *somewhat* however I've been having a bad relapse these past few days.

I started having the flu last Thursday afternoon with fever.. I saw a doctor on Saturday that told me it s influenza. But because my fever hasn't gone done I am panicking. Day 6 and I still have fever and feel horrible. I have a hard time going up and down the stairs , I feel exhausted and dizzy and coughing a lot. I had some antibiotics prescribed to me from my doctor when I went on a trip in the fall. I started taking them today in case its pneumonia.

Now I convinced myself that there s something really wrong with me and that it can't just be the flu. I can't sleep at night and I am panicking . I feel like I am losing control.

Oh I also can't smell or taste anything.

Anyone else had something similar that turned out to just be the flu?

ankietyjoe
19-12-17, 20:44
There's something persistent doing the rounds right now. I've had it on and off for 10 weeks (no, really) and other parents we know have too. My youngest (3) was really ill and off school for 2 weeks and my eldest (9) had it for a few days, went back to school and then it returned and knocked him out for 10 days.

I would actually not take antibiotics unless you really know it's bacterial. All you're doing is killing your gut bacteria which help your immune system. At the very least, take some very good quality probiotics at the same time.

Careful1
19-12-17, 21:01
The flu that is going around this year is really bad!!! My house got hit by it and my 3 year old had very high fever that couldn't be controlled by Motrin and Tylenol.. lots of trips to the ER last week for her... She is feeling better now but she still has a really bad cough. She ran a fever a tad over a week as did my 15 year old. The rest of us in my house were okay after about 72 hours. It was deff the flu as both my baby and 15 year old were tested and postive for flu type A. If the flu is what is ailing you, antibotics will do nothing for it and you should deff check with your Dr before taking anymore because taking antibotics when they aren't needed can cause you to become immune. If that happens if and when you do need them your choices will be limited. Not to mention as stated in the above comment, antibotics are hard on the body esp the gut.

It's common when one is sick to lose their sense of taste and smell. They will come back eventually...
Getting the flu sucks for sure... I hope you get to feeling better soon..

Ruby777
19-12-17, 21:29
thank you for your replies. I know I maybe shouldn't be taking the antibiotics, I am just scared it could be pneumonia.

My fever is lower today than yesterday but this evening it is getting higher again. My entire body hurts even my eyes hurt ..

Careful1
19-12-17, 22:51
For some reason fevers seem to rise during the evening/night and be lower during the day. Same with normal body tempature...

Could you get an appt with an urgent care center? A simple chest x ray would tell them if you have that or some other type of upper respiratory infection...

If your still feeling terrible by 2marro, that might be a good idea.

nomorepanic
20-12-17, 00:17
You shouldn't take antibiotics unless they are specifically prescribed for the condition.

There is a lot going round at the moment - it will pass in time

scaredpt
20-12-17, 03:48
I got the flu last year, and was in bed for 1 full week, fever lingered for another week. Don't worry, and dont take antibiotics!!!!

cattia
20-12-17, 07:25
I've had a fever for two days and I'm feeling worse abd worse :( My doctor also gave me antibiotics in case it was a throat infection as he said my throat looked a bit inflamed but he said don't take them unless it gets worse over the next few days. As I don't really have a sore throat I doubt it's that, but I certainly feel rough and my temp has been consistently around 38 since Monday.

Annaboodle
20-12-17, 08:06
Everything you're describing is the flu. It can take a couple of weeks to get better unfortunately. Obviously if a symptom suddenly worsens after a week you should get advice from a doctor. But you would expect to still feel ill after 6 days. As others have said you shouldn't take antibiotics "in case".

Ruby777
20-12-17, 19:32
Thank you all for your replies..
My fever went down since last night and I didn't take the antibiotics again. But now I feel completely exhausted, shakey and my head feels like I'm in a cloud.I am still coughing and congested as well. This morning I almost thought I was gonna faint and I started to panic. My anxiety is so high right now. I am starting to imagine this all might be something sinister.

ankietyjoe
20-12-17, 19:46
I am starting to imagine this all might be something sinister.

It is not.

Careful1
20-12-17, 20:24
It's not something more sinister... Your symptoms are consistent of the flu... Unfortunately, the flu makes one feel terrible... Most people say they feel as though they have been hit by a semi truck. It hits you fast and hard but you will start feeling better soon.
At this point there really is nothing the Drs can do for you. It's a virus and it has to run it's course. If you start to feel better and then get worse then make an appt with your Dr.
In the mean time get plenty of rest and stay hydrated. Orange juice is good for your immune system :) don't worry, you are fine...

Ruby777
21-12-17, 12:32
good morning everyone,

I ve had a really bad flu since last week which has triggered extreme anxiety ...My fever has stopped but I am still coughing a lot ( mucus-type cough) and now have convinced myself it might be pneumonia. I am trying to rationalize but it is not working at all at the moment. I also feel so dizzy . I went to walk my dog just down the street this morning and it felt like I was in an alternate dimension and I feel exhausted.

How long will I be feeling like this :weep: My anxiety is at an all time high. And I feel so ill. I'm supposed to work tomorrow and Saturday after being off sick for a week. I don't know how I will do it.

countrygirl
21-12-17, 14:09
Whatever this flu bug is in the uk its particulary horrible. I posted about mine which started on Tuesday and my temp is still going up daily! As well as the cough and very sore throat and sinusitis I am also dizzy especially in the mornings.
They say with flu bugs that the fever should be gone in 7-10 days but the cough etc can last for up to 2-3 weeks.
My husband had pneumonia and he suddenly spiked a really high temp of 40c and really could not breathe.
I have been checked out by Dr today and told its all viral but I totally understand your panic and fear as I am in this state with my fever and fast heartbeat. Everytime my fever gets higher I panic!
You are maybe trying to do too much too quickly after flu and probably need more time off work.
If you have no fever now then its highly unlikely you have any bacterial infection but your upper respiratory tract will still be suffering from the virus.
Was your fever very high?

ankietyjoe
21-12-17, 14:52
I've had a cough from the infection for 10 weeks, and a couple of other parents locally have said the GP's are calling it 'The 90 day flu'.

That's not to say you'll feel bad for 90 days, but the cough will linger.

There's really no point worrying about it, it's just a cough.

When you have pneumonia, you know about it.

Fishmanpa
21-12-17, 15:00
Do folks in the UK get the flu jab? I don't recall seeing so many with the "crud".

Positive thoughts

Ruby777
21-12-17, 15:06
Countrygirl: I am sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly as well. My fever was around 38.5 for about 5 days. My normal temperature is about 36.7 so I felt really shivery.

I also feel really dizzy in the mornings and pretty much all day and very weak. I really hope you will feel better soon. In my case it has been a week today and I just want to feel better

ankietyjoe
21-12-17, 15:19
Do folks in the UK get the flu jab? I don't recall seeing so many with the "crud".

Positive thoughts

You can get it, but this years plague is a particularly nasty one. Flu jab is no guarantee.

Elen
21-12-17, 15:24
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

countrygirl
21-12-17, 15:27
Countrygirl: I am sorry to hear you have been feeling poorly as well. My fever was around 38.5 for about 5 days. My normal temperature is about 36.7 so I felt really shivery.

I also feel really dizzy in the mornings and pretty much all day and very weak. I really hope you will feel better soon. In my case it has been a week today and I just want to feel better

Thanks Ruby for that, helps me not panic quite so much about my temp. 5 days seems like a very long time. Mine has gone up to 38 with ear thermometer which is about 37.7 with oral one. Which have you been using ear or oral?

goodman
21-12-17, 21:07
You can get it, but this years plague is a particularly nasty one. Flu jab is no guarantee.

I believe the strain changed after the vaccine was made.... thats what happened here in Oz this winter just gone...

Ruby777
21-12-17, 21:23
Thanks Ruby for that, helps me not panic quite so much about my temp. 5 days seems like a very long time. Mine has gone up to 38 with ear thermometer which is about 37.7 with oral one. Which have you been using ear or oral?

Oral temperature. I just hope for you it won't last as long as mine.