PDA

View Full Version : What would you do - antibiotics...

tan235
24-12-17, 03:53
HI All,
so my Dr cut open my finger as a preventative, to stop it from getting infected, it was a cuticle and she said they have the possibility of getting infected quite quickly.
She gave me Erythromycin for 2 weeks!
My friend is a nurse and she laughed and said no one prescribes antibiotics anymore for 2 weeks.
Anyway I've been on them for 3 days - the finger is healing fine, no infection - and I'm wanting to stop taking the antibiotics, I've read about Stevens Syndrome which is FREAKING ME OUT!!!!!

i've read online that a 3 day course can be effective.
Anyway what would you do??
Do you follow through on the antibiotics, I will state that there is no way in hell I"m taking them for 2 weeks as a preventative!
I just want to stop them now....

Josh1234
24-12-17, 04:14
Just took a look at your post history....yikes.

Listen to your doctor, finish the meds.

AntsyVee
24-12-17, 04:23
Take them.

tan235
24-12-17, 04:25
My post history isn't that bad! I mean this site is for people that worry about their health ;)
I definitely won't take them for 2 weeks ... I rang the pharmacy and they even said that's ludicrous.
I'm just not sure the benefit outweighs the risk if I have no infection!
I don't want to get Steven' Syndrome that sounds bloody horrible!!

AntsyVee
24-12-17, 04:26
If your doc was worried about you getting Steven's syndrome s/he never would've prescribed them. You need to listen to your doctor and stay off Dr. Google.

tan235
24-12-17, 04:27
How would they know they! They wouldn't - it can just happen! But I appreciate it - Thank you.

MyNameIsTerry
24-12-17, 06:01
Over here a normal course is 5-7 days.

Since the pharmacy are raising a concern, if it were me, I would go back to the doctor and ask about it. GP's are less knowledgeable about meds than pharmacists.

However, I wouldn't be stopping after only 3 days. Our NHS are currently running an awareness campaign to stop people coming off them before the course ends, but there are contradictory studies floating around about such things.

tan235
24-12-17, 06:43
I've just taken the next dose and my anxiety is through the roof, I can't breathe properly, I'm dizzy, I've taken myself for a walk but ran home like a lunatic because I thought I'd faint.
OMG - not taking any more, this is crazy.
The OCD mind is hard work.
I've lost my appetite the whole time I've been on antibiotics which has been 4 days, I haven't eaten properly and itchy!
Do other HA people get like this???

Chris 614
24-12-17, 08:09
I'm the same way about taking medication. I get your anxiety and panic. I've been there. Others may disagree, but if it was me and the medication was a "precaution" and I didn't have an infection, I would stop taking them. I will take medication if it is necessary to save my life. But when it's a just in case thing, and my anxiety it causing me more harm than a possible infection...It seems like taking them is doing more harm than good. Honestly, I wish I didn't have these fears. I wish I could just take antibiotics. If I could I probably wouldn't freak out every time I got a cold...worried it will get worse and antibiotics might be necessary.

I'm not advising you to not take them. I'm just letting you know that I understand where you're coming from. If you stop taking them and in a day or two you get an infection, you can always start up again. Also, talk to your doctor. They might tell you it's okay not to take anymore.

tan235
24-12-17, 08:16
It's nice to hear from someone similar.
I'm not going to take them anymore - tonight was the last one, I just hope it wasn't one too many and I get a side effect.
Thanks Chris
Merry christmas too, everyone

Murdock
24-12-17, 09:30
You really should always finish a course of antibiotics. I mean I’m sure you’ll be fine even if you don’t but this is how in the long term antibiotic resistant bacteria come about. The antibiotic you’re on isn’t even one of the most high risk ones, plus there’s other risk factors associated with its development.

Fishmanpa
24-12-17, 10:10
Tan, use some common sense here. Take the meds. The very worse thing that can happen is that your finger heals. I know and you know based on your post history (cough cough), you'll just fixate on the cut and worry if it's getting infected because you didn't finish your meds :lac:

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
24-12-17, 10:55
Tan, use some common sense here. Take the meds. The very worse thing that can happen is that your finger heals.

Whilst I know you're trying to help, your advice can sometimes be flippant. The OP has stated some symptoms that would have me suggest he questions the length if prescription. I recently created a post about some significant side effects from taking antibiotics that you dismissed as anxiety. I do not suffer from anxiety, and it WAS the AB's that were causing the issue. This was confirmed by further medical consultation.

The OP has already had medical opinion that the course of AB's he has given need to be questioned, and I don't feel you are qualified to categorically state what the worst thing can happen is. Because I can assure you in this case you are 100% wrong.

AB's are incredibly powerful drugs, and not all variants are good for all people.

The OP definitely needs to consult with a medical professional about this rather than take diagnosis from a web forum, but I would agree that stopping them THIS early needs careful consideration.

One of the main issues with AB's is that they kill all good bacteria in the gut, which is directly linked to mood, sleep, digestion and immune system. It's a double edged sword that needs management. Definitely needed for infection, but also needs management.

tan235
24-12-17, 11:50
i should also state, given it's Xmas that I can't get in touch with my Dr, so I asked 2 pharmaceutical people and two nurses, all agreed that 2 weeks was a crazy long time and none were sure why my Dr would have prescribed for that long.
The people at the pharmacy said to stop taking them but if an infection happened to continue, they said 5 days, for what it is, is sufficient.
If there was a genuine infection I seriously wouldn't consider going off them - it's just the fact that the Dr really has done it all as a preventative...

ankietyjoe
24-12-17, 12:05
i should also state, given it's Xmas that I can't get in touch with my Dr, so I asked 2 pharmaceutical people and two nurses, all agreed that 2 weeks was a crazy long time and none were sure why my Dr would have prescribed for that long.
The people at the pharmacy said to stop taking them but if an infection happened to continue, they said 5 days, for what it is, is sufficient.
If there was a genuine infection I seriously wouldn't consider going off them - it's just the fact that the Dr really has done it all as a preventative...

I think it's a good idea to take advice from the pharmacist. I recall the shortest course I've ever taken is 7 days, but if they're saying 5 days then I'm sure that'll be fine.

One thing I've discovered is that it's a very good idea to take a high quality probiotic during and after a course of antibiotics, it really helps balance your gut again.

I took Probio 7, which I'm sure you can get in the States too.

Fishmanpa
24-12-17, 12:17
it's just the fact that the Dr really has done it all as a preventative...

Three or so more days on the med aren't going to cause some crazy thing to happen like Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Hell, I never heard of it prior to this board and frankly, it's just another rare illness in the list of rare illnesses worried about here. I'm not being flippant by any means, it's just the reality. Can it happen? In certain very rare instances people will have a reaction to a medication (and not just antibiotics) and yes, in those very rare instances it can happen. There are some pretty significant symptoms too so you'd know something was wrong.

I cannot count how many courses of antibiotics I've taken in my life for 10 days or more. Tan, if you're that concerned you can call you doctor and ask after the holiday. Best case is your finger is healed and he says to stop but being that it's the holiday season, I think you're right about the doctor's intentions. He may be hard to reach. It's CYA medicine.

Positive thoughts

Careful1
25-12-17, 16:12
Do not stop the antibiotics until you speak with your doctor or nurse... This is a big no no, you need to trust and follow your doctors directions. Before you stop taking them, call and speak with your DR or his/her nurse express your concern and let them advise you. There is a paper that comes with the antibiotics that says, finish the course, do not stop early because you feel better. Just because you can see your finger is better does not mean the infection is gone. Not to mention stopping antibiotics to soon is what causes some bacteria to become resilient to antibiotics.

Also, Stevens-Johnson syndrome is extremely rare and when it comes to antibiotics being the cause of it, its mostly from the sulfa ones which you are not taking.

Josh1234
25-12-17, 16:18
Whilst I know you're trying to help, your advice can sometimes be flippant. The OP has stated some symptoms that would have me suggest he questions the length if prescription. I recently created a post about some significant side effects from taking antibiotics that you dismissed as anxiety. I do not suffer from anxiety, and it WAS the AB's that were causing the issue. This was confirmed by further medical consultation.

The OP has already had medical opinion that the course of AB's he has given need to be questioned, and I don't feel you are qualified to categorically state what the worst thing can happen is. Because I can assure you in this case you are 100% wrong.

AB's are incredibly powerful drugs, and not all variants are good for all people.

The OP definitely needs to consult with a medical professional about this rather than take diagnosis from a web forum, but I would agree that stopping them THIS early needs careful consideration.

One of the main issues with AB's is that they kill all good bacteria in the gut, which is directly linked to mood, sleep, digestion and immune system. It's a double edged sword that needs management. Definitely needed for infection, but also needs management.

TS needs to listen to their doctor, period. Not you, or some nurses or pharm tech guy they talked to for 30 seconds. You're encouraging irrational anxiety.

pulisa
25-12-17, 17:22
I think the dubious thing here is that antibiotics were prescribed as a preventative measure. There was no infection in the first place. Was your doctor being over zealous in cutting into your cuticle when it all could have been resolved without the need for intervention? Does your doctor fully understand your HA and is he/she taking advantage of your need for medical attention?

ankietyjoe
25-12-17, 21:10
You're encouraging irrational anxiety.

But an extended course of 'just in case' antibiotics isn't?

AntsyVee
25-12-17, 22:00

But that's not for you to decide...

S/he needs to listen to their doc, like Josh and others said.

Fishmanpa
25-12-17, 22:05

A few more days of antibiotics really isn't an extended course. Two extra weeks? yeah, but a few more days? :lac: The OP's fear is a ridiculously rare reaction to medication. She's not going to get it from a few extra doses of one of the most commonly used antibiotics in the world. Yeah, this is an internet website, but common sense is warranted here.

My wife was given a 7 day course after her dental work as a precaution. I've been given courses of antibiotics for precautionary measures as well. Sorry, but the fear of Stevens-Johnson syndrome is quite irrational and as I stated, the symptoms are quite severe. There would be no mistake something was wrong (and there isn't).

Positive thoughts

tan235
26-12-17, 00:05
I agree Fishmapa ... absolultely I've had an epiphany if you will over the last couple of days.
I keep feeding my dragon - my dragon is strong and wild and free, but it needs to be contained, my dragon will never leave me and maybe I don't want it too - as somehwere deep inside me I like my dragon (a little bit) but I can't let it rule me anymore.
What's done is done about the antibiotics. I failed to take the course, was never going to take 2 weeks anyway to be honest - that's ridiculous but even 5 days which is what the nurse told me to take - I took 4 days.
Guess what - my wound is healed and probably would have healed without the antibiotics because - guess what, I"m actually a healthy human being!! ha ha ...

god, I've been a menace to myself, I just hope that now that I"m actually battling this head on that something isn't found now ha ha that's my 'catch 22' anxiety way of thinking.

MyNameIsTerry
26-12-17, 02:28
The OP has also consulted nurses and a pharmacist. I would trust a pharmacist over a GP any day when it comes to meds as it's their area. But maybe things are different in the US?

A doctor over here just wouldn't give out antibiotics "just in case", they don't even give them out for infections they see if they think you are healthy enough to beat it naturally.

They used to give them out like sweeties years ago until antibiotic resistance came in the radar and the consistent message ever since has been not to give them. Surgeries & pharmacies have NHS leaflets on display stating why you won't get them.

So, I agree with Joe who's sound on this issue. I would go back to that GP and ask if they we really needed. Joe has only explained what our medical system do so it's not about one person on the forum, he's just echoed what the NHS and my own GP's have been saying for decades.

It there is no infection at all these meds will be indiscriminately killing the healthy gut bacteria for no gain. Probiotics can avoid this.

pulisa
26-12-17, 08:31
I agree, Terry. I can just imagine what my GP would say regarding antibiotics in this situation let alone minor surgery. Let Nature take its course...

ankietyjoe
26-12-17, 12:07
But that's not for you to decide...

S/he needs to listen to their doc, like Josh and others said.

I'll state these points once more and then stop responding to this thread.

The title of the thread is 'what would YOU do'

The OP has stated some side effects to the AB's, which I've had three times taking AB's, they are unrelated to anxiety and I was told on three separate occasions that it would be best to stop taking the AB's in this case.

Two weeks of 'preventative' AB's is ridiculous, no matter what the GP says. The pharmacist is correct in this case.

AntsyVee
26-12-17, 22:04
Well, I would listen to my GP. They know my entire medical history and have actually examined my body. The pharmacist just doles out the pills based on what my Doc recommends and ensures the doc isn’t mixing any drugs that have interactions with each other. My GP is the same person every time; the pharmacist is which ever one happens to be working at CVS when the doc’s order is faxed in. The pharmacist makes recommendations based on the general population, not my specific body.

MyNameIsTerry
26-12-17, 22:56
Well, I would listen to my GP. They know my entire medical history and have actually examined my body. The pharmacist just doles out the pills based on what my Doc recommends and ensures the doc isn’t mixing any drugs that have interactions with each other. My GP is the same person every time; the pharmacist is which ever one happens to be working at CVS when the doc’s order is faxed in. The pharmacist makes recommendations based on the general population, not my specific body.

Then I suspect things differ greatly between our countries because a registered pharmacist is highly trained. Merely checking interactions & dispensing requires minimal training.

Antidepressants are an excellent example. GP's aren't trained in them yet pharmacists have deeper knowledge of how drugs work in the body.

If the OP's GP is a reflection of US prescribing then it shows how different we are because our doctors don't give out antibiotics "just in case". Why not give out steroids just in case you get some inflammation that the body can't handle?

Things happen. Many years ago my surgery decided to stop issuing my asthma meds. Apparently I had been cured of a chronic lung condition without even being seen.

There's nothing wrong with questioning a doctor's approach. In this case the doctor has prescribed unnecessary medication when our doctors would tell you to come back if it doesn't get better. And a two week course for a basic infection? Again, our doctors would want to monitor you and issue a further prescription and add other meds if needed.

Because of my asthma any colds usually end up as chest infections. My GP's made me aware of the signs for that but they won't prescribe until they suspect there is an infection. I've never had a course longer than 5-7 days in decades and I used to end up on them 2-3 times a year. If it didn't clear they would simply issue a further course and monitor.

Pulisa raised the issue of whether the OP's doctor understands HA. All the doctors decisions have done is trigger someone but have the meds done anything?

In a normal situation we could just be saying stick to the doctor's advice but when the doctor appears to have gone off from the norm, it's worth questioning and normally we end up saying get a second opinion.

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

I agree, Terry. I can just imagine what my GP would say regarding antibiotics in this situation let alone minor surgery. Let Nature take its course...

Yep, mine would be saying the same as yours. We've even got notices up in the surgery about how they won't prescribe antibiotics unless they are needed so don't book appointments for basic coughs & colds (unless you have a pre existing health complication) and to visit a pharmacy instead.

I thought this was just how it is as the NHS seem to be following WHO guidance to prevent antibiotic resistance. :shrug:

pulisa
27-12-17, 08:25
My suspicion is that Tan's doctor is aware of her HA and is cashing in on it.