PDA

View Full Version : Stomach again

bingjam
24-12-17, 18:34
Hi.....

Another embarrassing post again. So I’ve been constipated for about 2 weeks I’ve been able to pass stools. But not normal stools. They are rock hard and I’ve been getting stomach aches and feeling really uncomfortable. Anyway today I’ve got an awful sharpish pain on my right hand side. I’ve been and brought some senokot but it says to take it at night. Will this ruin Christmas morning if i take it???

Also is it normal to have eight hand side pain when constipated????

It’s making me panic and I don’t know why

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Just to add I do normally suffer from constipation from time to time as well as bad trapped wind feeling and also some foods make me feel really bloated also

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

The pain right now feels like a stitch in my right side low down

Mindprison
24-12-17, 20:41
Hi there

As someone who suffers from irritable bowel syndrome I can say hand on heart that I get all these symptoms at least 1 week out of the month, sometimes more if it's a particularly bad bout. I've had bad stomach pain for the last three days, manifesting in the bottom right of my belly and just above the pubic area.

There's only really cause for concern if you're unable to pass anything at all for weeks, it seems to me that your stomach is just a bit slow pushing everything through right now. Stress is a major factor, especially with it being the christmas period sometimes our bodies get a bit worked up without us realizing it.

It's up to you whether you want to take the senokot but if it works then I imagine you'll feel a lot better. If the problem persists then it might be worth mentioning it to your GP, have you ever been diagnosed with irritable bowel or anything? It's the most common cause of gastro problems by a country mile but as I said it could all be hidden stress related.

I'm sure you'll be fine, don't worry!

------------------

Just thought i'd add, if the senokot doesn't help you should try a softener such as movicol or lactulose instead, I find that senokot makes me feel bloated. Another tip you could try is drinking 2 glasses of hot water one after the other. I usually do this by boiling water, pouring it into a glass and then leaving it until it's cool enough to drink without burning my mouth. I've done this the past few times i've been badly constipated and it really helped get things moving!

bingjam
24-12-17, 22:16
Hi thank you so much for the reply.

My nana suffers with ibs and I mentioned to her about my symptoms and she also said she thinks I may have ibs as what I mentioned sounded like what she gets too. So I guess it could be a possibility???

I just didn’t want to try the senokot and be on the toilet all morning on Christmas so I passed on it for now. I’ll 100% try the two glasses of water in the morning though for sure so thanks for that tip.

I managed to go about an hour ago and some of the pain went away and feel a tad better but I’m still feelin really bloated and full sort of at the bottom of my belly and to the right.

I find I get worse if I eat dairy so not sure if that has anything to do with it either

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Also just to add to my rely. I’ve been getting constipated on and off for a few years sometimes it’s the opposite of constipation.

It’s so uncomfortable is there anything I can do to make it less bloats?

ServerError
24-12-17, 22:18
I took senna a couple of weeks ago. I didn't like the way it made me feel, but it certainly didn't ruin my whole day.

In my case, it made my stomach churn for an hour or two, and then I had to spend about an hour on the toilet, on and off. It did give me diarrhoea as well, but it wasn't unbearable.

I was also given lactulose, which was much more gentle, but works in a completely different way.

Mindprison
24-12-17, 23:44
I get the same thing, one day i'm constipated and the next I go 3 times in one day, then back to nothing for days. I think at worst you have IBS and it's nothing really to worry about, it's extremely annoying but it does no harm. Ironically, stress actually makes it worse so if you're like me and get caught in the panic cycle you end up with a dodgy stomach a lot of the time.

One of the key symptoms of IBS along with either chronic diarrhea, chronic constipation or alternating of both is abdominal pain/discomfort that is relieved in some way by going to the toilet. The good news is that there are ways of managing it so it might be worth asking your doctor next time you see them if they can recommend some things to try. Sadly what works for one doesn't always work for others and everyone has different triggers. The hot water trick always helps me out so I hope it gives you some kind of relief even for a while!

Merry Christmas and good luck!