PDA

View Full Version : could I have gotten botulism from canned chickpeas on cruise ship

scaredpt
25-12-17, 19:37
Ate chickpeas and now very scared because I’m on a cruise ship. I’m worried about botulism because that can be caused by Foods in cans. What are the chances of this happening?

countrygirl
25-12-17, 20:08
The only cases of botilism from cans was very long time ago from tinned john west salmon in uk. It was 1 tin only.
So you are much much more likely to be hit by a flying saucer!
Are you avoiding ever eating any canned food?

Careful1
25-12-17, 20:09
Basically nil... There are 145 cases reported in the U.S. each year and 65% of those are infant botulism, 20% from wounds. The chance of getting botulism from food about >>>>>>>>> 0.00000692675% in any given year.

Do not spoil your vacation worrying about this :flowers:

scaredpt
25-12-17, 20:50
Is botulism that rare? I was worried that the food safety standards are poor on the ship. But it’s not common to get now right?

Careful1
25-12-17, 21:31
Yes it's that rare

countrygirl
25-12-17, 22:12
Technical stuff. If a can of meat or fish has a pin hole in it then there is a million to one chance it could have botulism. I seem to remember this only applies to meat and fish. In the fish case in uk this was a manufacturing problem affecting just 1 tin of fish.
This is why is so incredibly rare.

scaredpt
26-12-17, 17:29
Anyone else have experience with food borne illnesses? I just can’t get it out of my head

Fishmanpa
26-12-17, 17:34
Sorry you're in such a state pt...

I don't know of many people who would be so unhappy and miserable while on a cruise over the holidays. Next time, if you're that concerned, my wife and I would be happy to take those tickets off your hands ;)

From what I heard, there's more stuff to do than there is time to do it! I'm sure you can find something to pre-occupy yourself.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

ADDED: I'm a little envious actually. A cruise really is something I would love to do with my wife. Seven days on the ocean, islands, beaches, entertainment, recreation, pool, gym, hot tub/whirlpool, sauna, massage services etc. and from everything I've heard from friends and family, the food is awesome and there's something good to eat pretty much 24/7!

scaredpt
26-12-17, 17:35
It’s just I keep getting stomachaches from the food and I know botulism occurs in canned foods so am worried about the chickpeas. It seems the food safety on ship is poor

ankietyjoe
26-12-17, 18:13
Is botulism that rare? I was worried that the food safety standards are poor on the ship. But it’s not common to get now right?

Almost certainly going to be better than 99.99% of domestic food safety standards. Food poisoning outbreaks on ships/planes/all confined spaces are taken incredibly seriously.

Fishmanpa
26-12-17, 21:42
Almost certainly going to be better than 99.99% of domestic food safety standards. Food poisoning outbreaks on ships/planes/all confined spaces are taken incredibly seriously.

Exactly! There was a thread about a similar fear but it involved poisonous mushrooms.... Oh wait... that was you :shades:

As AJoe said, food safety standards virtually make this impossible. And think about it... if something like this would happen on the ship, there would be an outbreak right? :shrug: Being that it hasn't happened, I think you can assume you're pretty safe :D Now, go enjoy yourself. It's not that often that one gets the opportunity to enjoy a vacation like that!

Positive thought