PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find ways to disprove doctors or tests?

Caseyg89
25-12-17, 22:09
Happy holidays everyone!

I was diagnosed with severe OCD This year with a current obsession with cancer. Since January I have feared 14 different types of cancers. I've had 8 ultrasounds, an MRI, a CT scan, 2 colonoscopies and 2 endoscopes and a upper GI series. Everything has come back clear except for some acid reflux.

I don't want to trigger anyone, so I'm going to talk generally. I have a current cancer fear that I've had the major tests for. Having health anxiety, I always doubt medical tests. Anyone else notorious for this? What I have found I do is that I will then Google the accuracy of tests and convince myself that I was the case that was missed. In my incessant Google searching of my current fear I had read about a type of cancer that is often missed during the "gold standard tests " as it doesn't create a typical mass. So naturally, I've convinced myself that since nothing was found in my tests, this is the type I have. Does anyone else do this? It's like my anxiety is doing anything to strengthen itself.

raizorpoke
25-12-17, 22:28
I used to.
You need to realise that proper medical tests like the ones you mentioned is the proper proceduere, you need to have them done to locate what is wrong with you. If they say you're fine YOU ARE fine.
You will always be able to find slip ups and miss-diagnosis stories but realistically the odds of that happening are so slim.

Caseyg89
25-12-17, 23:00
Yeah i always seem to find a reason every test could be wrong. And my current worry is since in all of my research the type of cancer I'm worried about is regularly missed in this test and that's the problem with diagnosis. Gah, health anxiety sucks!!!!!

tjb113
25-12-17, 23:06
Yes, and unfortunately it's not that hard. Doctors often go the reassurance route or simply toss blood tests at a problem or just write it off to anxiety. Seems far too often what is done is not actually conclusive in identifying a cause or, more importantly, ruling out a cause. I mean, for me I've had fear over a possible lymph node that keeps cropping up over and over. They've done blood tests, felt it, even an ultrasound. However, I know that none of those things can conclusively diagnose it.

Caseyg89
25-12-17, 23:23
Well in my case the doctors are doing the right tests but unfortunately the type of cancer I'm worried about isn't picked up on tests until it's very advanced. I wish
I never googled this!!

Fishmanpa
25-12-17, 23:34
My cancer was discovered by using the "gold standard" testing. Even so, it was advanced. We're talking irrationality here to the Nth degree. You're certainly not the first and sadly, you won't be the last that follows the same psychological patterns of HA.

Bottom line is real life professional help. It's great you're not alone but as you said.... "Gah, health anxiety sucks!!!!! I wish I never googled this!!"

Positive thoughts

Caseyg89
25-12-17, 23:54
Hi fishmanpa,

Thanks for reaching out. I always appreciate your logical outlook. After the test I read false negatives and convinced myself they missed a mass. After another two tests I realized missing a mass was unlikely so I had to find another way it could have been missed and read about a type of the cancer that is hidden under the layers and is missed by the gold standard test regularly. Naturally I've now believed this is what I have.

Potter86
26-12-17, 01:21
Happy holidays everyone!

I was diagnosed with severe OCD This year with a current obsession with cancer. Since January I have feared 14 different types of cancers. I've had 8 ultrasounds, an MRI, a CT scan, 2 colonoscopies and 2 endoscopes and a upper GI series. Everything has come back clear except for some acid reflux.

I don't want to trigger anyone, so I'm going to talk generally. I have a current cancer fear that I've had the major tests for. Having health anxiety, I always doubt medical tests. Anyone else notorious for this? What I have found I do is that I will then Google the accuracy of tests and convince myself that I was the case that was missed. In my incessant Google searching of my current fear I had read about a type of cancer that is often missed during the "gold standard tests " as it doesn't create a typical mass. So naturally, I've convinced myself that since nothing was found in my tests, this is the type I have. Does anyone else do this? It's like my anxiety is doing anything to strengthen itself.

I think the majority on here have done that at some stage,i certainly have

pulisa
26-12-17, 08:39
Casey, has recently becoming a Mother ramped up your HA and made you even more fearful of your mortality?

Caseyg89
26-12-17, 14:12
Casey, has recently becoming a Mother ramped up your HA and made you even more fearful of your mortality?

Hi Pulisa,

It sure has. I love my baby so much and an convinced in going to die. I've been working with a psychologist and been trying all the strategies. I've also been working with my family doctor and since I'm still experiencing the symptoms she sent me For an upper GI series that showed nothing. Since they can't find anything obvious I'm convinced I have stomach cancer that isn't seen well on endoscopes

pulisa
26-12-17, 14:19
How long have you had your perceived stomach cancer for though? How much weight have you lost? How did you manage to give birth with stomach cancer? How much food can you keep down?

Caseyg89
26-12-17, 14:22
I've been worried about stomach cancer for 11 months. I have lost weight but since I just had a baby it's hard to separate it. I have a bad loss of appetite but can keep food down. I have the heartburn and indigestion symptoms everyday.

pulisa
26-12-17, 14:31
I've been worried about stomach cancer for 11 months. I have lost weight but since I just had a baby it's hard to separate it. I have a bad loss of appetite but can keep food down. I have the heartburn and indigestion symptoms everyday.

You've been diagnosed with acid reflux and GERD though. At this stage you won't be satisfied with any test/medical procedure result so it's pointless putting yourself through them endlessly. It's such a shame that you are missing out on your baby son's first few weeks of life because you are so consumed by your HA. I really feel for you but all I can say is that you are sabotaging any chance of improvement by your continued inability to accept that you are essentially healthy.

Fishmanpa
26-12-17, 14:42
Does anyone else find ways to disprove doctors or tests?

Just about everyone here ;)

Positive thoughts