PDA

View Full Version : How to STOP symptom checking??

CG5246
26-12-17, 12:25
I'm mostly not scared or worried about my anxiety symptoms anymore (throat/chest tightness, rapid pulse, shortness of breath, numbness/tingling, dizziness), now I'm mostly just annoyed with them and tired of dealing with them.

The symptom I'm having the hardest time not "checking" when I wake up is my dizziness. I feel like I'm being pulled or a little off balance throughout the day and I know this is anxiety related, but I am so tired of feeling it.

In the mornings I think "today is going to be a good day" and one of the first things I think is "oh my dizziness doesn't seem that bad today/dizziness is gone" so I get happy and thankful that I don't have to feel that feeling because it was one of the worst symptoms! And then I keep thinking about how I was dizzy and keep evaluating how I'm feeling as I'm walking/sitting, etc. And then of course...I start feeling dizzy again.

HOW do I stop checking for dizziness in the mornings when I want so badly for the dizziness/off balance feeling to be gone since it's everyday and I am so thankful when I don't have to feel it?! Help please!

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Admittedly I am a little scared that I’m going to feel this way forever but I am trying to tell myself that that’s not true.

ankietyjoe
26-12-17, 12:38
Meditation would help a lot here.

Contrary to popular belief, meditation is not about relaxing and zoning out. Meditation is specifically about observing thoughts and sensations, and just letting them be.

For me, it was THE magic bullet in allowing myself to have a symptom and then not constantly checking it.

CG5246
26-12-17, 13:43
Meditation would help a lot here.

Contrary to popular belief, meditation is not about relaxing and zoning out. Meditation is specifically about observing thoughts and sensations, and just letting them be.

For me, it was THE magic bullet in allowing myself to have a symptom and then not constantly checking it.

Yeah I don’t even know where to start with that. Just observing my thoughts seems an impossible task.

ankietyjoe
26-12-17, 13:52
Yeah I don’t even know where to start with that. Just observing my thoughts seems an impossible task.

Just takes practice (which is what the meditation is).

There are plenty of resources to help, both physical and virtual. I found some youtube channels particularly helpful at the start.

CG5246
26-12-17, 16:13
Just takes practice (which is what the meditation is).

There are plenty of resources to help, both physical and virtual. I found some youtube channels particularly helpful at the start.

Okay I will definitely look into those videos!