PDA

View Full Version : Taking pulse all the time

roadman
26-12-17, 23:19
Basically I can't stop taking my pulse. Everytime I take it do it fo 32 beats, and if one of them are off I do it again. About 50% of the time I take it atleast one of the beats are off and i'm starting again.

I don't know if there actually is a small bit of arrhythmia or if it's just me flexing the neck/wrist muscles so my fingers slip of the pulse. Maybe both.

Today I've probably checked my pulse a hundred times. I don't really know why, even if there was some arrhythmia I probably wouldn't go to the doctor.

I've been obsessed over my pulse a couple times before, often due to other pains/sensations. This time it was some weird shooting pain in the left side of the chest. It appears when I'm standing up or walking - or having sex. Maybe once every minute or so. When I'm having sex or masturbating it comes every 10 seconds or so. I don't know if it's muscles, actually the heart/blood flow or if it's gas pains.

I don't really know what my goal with this post is - I just wanna write this somewhere. I guess I'm wondering if anyone got similar things going on? This scare of heart disease is really limiting what I do. Sometimes I get scared of exercise/sports.

Speranza
27-12-17, 00:05
I'm not a medic but I think arrythmia is fairly usual.

Gas when masturbating - not sure. ;)
But you might use your hand/arm in a way which causes muscle tension in the shoulder, and that can lead to what feel like heart pains.

I was worrying about chest pains until I fell over and really bruised a rib, so now
i KNOW why it's hurting and it's calmed me down considerably, heart attack-wise!

This may not help you but for me, when I've had a symptom worry for a few weeks, I start telling myself that I've had it so long it can't possible be anything serious or I'd have suffered the consequences by now.

Maybe you could try to reduce the numer of times you check your pulse? Allow yourself once or twice an hour, no more. Then reduce it. As you say, it's pretty pointless. (Been there, done that!)

Keep us posted.

Careful1
27-12-17, 00:26
Try to limit checking your pulse so much.. I have 3 different heart arrhythmia's and neither have ever caused me any pain. The only way to know if you have arrhythmia's is to get them caught on a monitor which means you would have to go to the doctor for a work up.

Cant begin to guess what could be causing your chest pains but like you stated, it could be caused by a number of things most being benign. Again, for answers, you would have to get an appointment with your doctor.

Anxiety can cause palpation's and chest pains and by constantly checking your pulse you could be mistaking normal heart activity for irregular activity. It might be a good idea to see the doctor if these things are new for you. If it turns out to be nothing of concern, at least you will know... Its better safe then sorry..