PDA

View Full Version : social and eating anxiety

sarahblonde32
27-12-17, 14:36
hi all,
had anxiety for years now, I thought I had it under control but its reared its ugly head recently.

I think mine is social, I know the biggest issue I have is eating, going out for dinner, dates, family meals. For some reason food has become a big issue and I lose my appetite completely. I feel sick a lot, to the point I have cancelled so many things that involve food.

Xmas morning was so bad, I felt awful, I had to use the excuse I had a bad tummy (half true as I had been on the loo all morning but this was probably my ibs)
its getting ridiculous now, I cant live like this, I cannot afford to lose weight and keep cancelling events.
Im so on edge all the time, I feel so annoyed and frustrated with it.

any tips? any ideas or just sympathy!!! (been prescribed propranolol but I cant bring myself to take it as I don't want the side effects)

help!
thanks Sarah :hugs:

John_
28-12-17, 04:08
Before I make any further comment, I think it would help not only me but others in giving advice if you told us whether the condition was to do with you feeling negative about eating food and a negative mental stigma towards it or that you struggle to physically eat the food and involuntarily vomit the food back up if you have had more than a small portion

MyNameIsTerry
28-12-17, 06:32
Or is it public eating? I've struggled with this one in my GAD. Dreading going then sitting there trying to eat whilst feeling sick and looking for toilets & exits. It plagued me whether in pubs/restaurants or dinner parties with relatives.

sarahblonde32
28-12-17, 10:09
I can't really pinpoint it, its not a fear of eating or anorexia type issues, i have a small appetite so its like that feeling of trying to eat when you just don't want to. I have a fear of vomit and bad gag reflex so i presume its something to do with this, i cannot put food in my mouth if i feel anxious, therefore when im anxious about having to eat out i cant eat and so there is the cycle i need to break.