PDA

View Full Version : Heart Disease / Heart Attack Phobia

Chronic911
27-12-17, 19:09
I have one of the worst cases of this. I am in my mid 50's now. I was DX'd with panic disorder and GAD when I was in my early 20's. Despite reassurances from doctors over the years, I convinced myself I had to be suffering from heart disease and the doctors were just missing something. I read books on heart disease many years ago that I checked out from the public library and then started getting every heart SX I read about. Center Chest pressure, left arm pain, heart pain, heart palps, feeling like my heart is pulsating, pressure and fullness in the center of my chest, center back pain, the list goes on. I was put on benzos for 30 years and have also gone through 2 horrible benzo withdrawals due to tolerance. Now, I am currently trying to get off Valium bc I have become tolerant after 10 years on it. So now, I have got another benzo withdrawal to go along with all my heart related symptoms. Can anyone here relate to what I am currently going through? Do you have cardiac fears? Are you on benzos and do they still work for you? Does anyone else here suffer with this horrible fear of dying of a heart attack and what are your symptoms? Do you have heart palps? What do yours feel like? Do you have chest pain and pressure? Please respond. I sure could use a friend.

Lev1985
27-12-17, 19:22
Hello Chronic911.

I am new to this forum, and after reading a lot of your post, I can relate so much to what you are saying.

I am a relatively young guy, 32, but I have worried about my heart since my late teens/early 20's. As I said in a previous post, I was on holiday in Greece with friends when I was younger, I got really sick with tonsillitis and got myself so worked up that I started getting tingling down my arms. I immediately felt this had something to do with my heart so went to the local hospital for tests. A rather blase Dr checked my heart and all was okay but the pain continued. I felt a deep burning in the middle of my chest. On the day of departure I wanted home so badly the feelings got worse and worse. I remember thinking god I hope there is a Dr on this flight as I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack on board. Anyway as soon as we landed back in Scotland, all symptoms disappeared. I realise now that it was anxiety but I still cannot help thinking I am going to have a heart attack. Over the past year I have been to the Dr numerous times and hospital once for an ecg. All was okay but I still get the symptoms sometimes. I know for anyone else this all might seem a bit silly but when you suffer from health anxiety it is really horrible. Anyway I just wanted to say that I understand what you are going through.

mel1972
27-12-17, 19:46
I am exactly the same, had HA since 2009 when my mum passed and then lost my dad in 2013 both heart related so it’s on the genes and I am carrying a few extra lbs and currently having panic attacks about the same thing!
I even ran this morning to try and bring it on .. nothing!!
I know I’ll have another sleepless night through stress, whilst you guys are struggling too it’s almost a relief knowing I’m not on my own

AMJ
04-01-18, 11:41
hello everyone

I am new to the forum and this is my 1st post.

I am 37 and i have been having similar symptoms for the past 12 years (chest pain in different spots in chest, arms pain especially left arm, palpitations, ectopic beats,etc.) done many tests (blood tests, ECG, ECO, stress test) and everything went well.
No medication, i only take beata blockers for the ectopic beats and it is fine now.

I still have the same symptoms and same phopias, and can't live a normal life and feel i am going to have a heart attack everyday many times a day. though all the tests went out clear i keep feeling that doctors have missed something, i am not convinced it is anxiety or GAD.

With time symptoms got worse and more painful last night i couldn't sleep from left arm pain (in all arm and fingers especially) and from anxiety and worrying of having a heart attack.

I hope we all get well and better