PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea followed by constipation...help?

Cyrus
27-12-17, 22:46
Probably overthinking this, but it's left me pretty anxious.

Two nights ago I had very sudden diarrhea over the course of about an hour a handful of times, and an upset stomach when I went to bed. Over the next two days, I've felt very constipated and have only been able to go three or four times, each time only small amounts coming out. I've also had on and off burning sensation in the groin area after I urinate. Lots of gurgling in the stomach too.

I've been tested recently for a UTI which I did NOT have, and I seem otherwise a completely healthy 18 year old male.

Is this normal, like just a stomach bug or something? Any advice or reassurance? Thanks.

Mindprison
27-12-17, 22:55
Hello there

I hope I can put your mind at ease here. I've been having the exact same symptoms since the beginning of May and still haven't reached a diagnosis so all I can offer is some of the things that i've experienced.

The diarrhea followed by constipation is a classic sign of IBS. I have this CONSTANTLY. I can go every day for a while then all of a sudden I don't go for days, then another few days, then back to every day. I was diagnosed with this because I woke up one morning and had to run to the bathroom with diarrhea 10 times in 2 hours. So I hope that eases your mind a little.

As for the urine problems, i've also been having issues with this. I've been tested for UTIs 7 times since July and am waiting for a urologist appointment. A couple of weeks ago I had severe stomach cramps and also stinging pain in the groin with the severe urge to pee. A day later, it was gone.

My doctor is unsure if it's being caused by my IBS, if I have chronic prostatitis or if I have some kind of stricture (less likely since the symptoms can be better or worse depending on the day). All of these problems while annoying are manageable so I hope that's comforting in some way.

If you ask me, I reckon you might be suffering from IBS which is also causing problems with your bladder. As always though I would recommend you see a doctor since i'm not medically trained but I can match your symptoms almost word for word!

Speranza
27-12-17, 23:19
I was going to say IBS too. Definitely get it checked but not in an "OMG it's cancer!" kind of way. It really sounds as though it's an IBS-type response to stress.

*I'm not a doctor!!

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

Also, you probably ate lots of rich food over Christmas? one of the things you ate is probably an IBS trigger for you. I get constipation after bread, and I've had bread this week. Boy do I know it!

Cyrus
27-12-17, 23:21
Hello there

I hope I can put your mind at ease here. I've been having the exact same symptoms since the beginning of May and still haven't reached a diagnosis so all I can offer is some of the things that i've experienced.

The diarrhea followed by constipation is a classic sign of IBS. I have this CONSTANTLY. I can go every day for a while then all of a sudden I don't go for days, then another few days, then back to every day. I was diagnosed with this because I woke up one morning and had to run to the bathroom with diarrhea 10 times in 2 hours. So I hope that eases your mind a little.

As for the urine problems, i've also been having issues with this. I've been tested for UTIs 7 times since July and am waiting for a urologist appointment. A couple of weeks ago I had severe stomach cramps and also stinging pain in the groin with the severe urge to pee. A day later, it was gone.

My doctor is unsure if it's being caused by my IBS, if I have chronic prostatitis or if I have some kind of stricture (less likely since the symptoms can be better or worse depending on the day). All of these problems while annoying are manageable so I hope that's comforting in some way.

If you ask me, I reckon you might be suffering from IBS which is also causing problems with your bladder. As always though I would recommend you see a doctor since i'm not medically trained but I can match your symptoms almost word for word!

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I will see a doctor if this persists but this is only the third day, and I don't really want to jump the gun and go see the doctor AGAIN unless I have to when I feel like I was just there over the urine thing. I think right now I just need to put my mind at ease so that my anxiety doesn't make my stomach issues worse (Which it usually does)

Does anything help relieve the constipation, or does it just eventually go away on its own? I've been drinking a lot of water and eating fiber rich foods but have only noticed a slight change (But then again, it's only been a couple of days).

Speranza
27-12-17, 23:34
I'm afraid I just have to - erm - sit it out... ;)

Water and fibre are good. I find avoiding bread and refined sugars helps me but we are all different.

Cyrus
27-12-17, 23:40
I'm afraid I just have to - erm - sit it out... ;)

Water and fibre are good. I find avoiding bread and refined sugars helps me but we are all different.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully this passes soon and I can get back to normal. How long does yours usually last?

Speranza
27-12-17, 23:42
A few days. I have friends with 'diarrhoea-type' IBS and I have to say, I'm thankful I don't!

Cyrus
29-12-17, 23:01
To follow up on this, my constipation has eased up a bit but I have absolutely ZERO appetite. Not even slightly hungry for the last 4 days. Is this normal?