PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight worry

boy
25-06-07, 23:31
I'm wondering if anyone has similar experienced to what I'm about to describe (I did read other floater topics but none seemed to match mine, worryingly):

I know about floaters, and in fact have contributed to past threads on the topic. Firstly, I see dark floaters that always seem to be there, instead of being clear and moving about. I think it moves a bit but it's always there, when I look at the sky.

However, I appear to have floaters that sort of fuzz in the centre of my vision, being bright but not actually bright, but also quite dark against say a cloudy sky, and if they're not in the centre of my vision (very distracting) they;re a little off centre, where they 'glow' only when I move my eyes. Against other normal floaters it looks dark but bright and smaller, though still circular and 'cell-like' in shape. There's one main one but sometimes two, and they move around a little.

I think it can be seen (unless my overactive mind if playing tricks on me) in the dark with my eyes closed too. These aren't floaters at all in that case, but instead a far more worrying symptoms. Of course I'm worried it could be a symptom of a brain tumour, but I'm refraining from Googling symtpoms. I've got good at that now.

Perhaps the scariest thing about this symptoms is that all I can do is describe it. No-one can relate to it really, ever, simply because they can't see what I can see and all I can do is hope my descriptions are detailed enough (they usually are!).

What I'm looking for is reassurance and a clear mind before embarking on a course of self-help methods that somebody from here kindly pointed me towards. :(

mirry
26-06-07, 11:51
sounds very normal to me, poor you worrying about it being serious

IT IS NOT, I have floaters and sometimes i notise them more than other times, ok so please dont worry about it,
But you you could ring the NHS helpline, they are fantastic for putting your mind at ease.

boy
27-06-07, 17:13
Anyone else? They're like little bright bu dark shimmery dots that move slightly but annoy me. Anyone???

honeybee3939
27-06-07, 17:17
Hi Boy

Take a look at this link

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784

It may help

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

boy
27-06-07, 22:34
Thanks for providing the link, but I can't find anything fitting my symptoms. It's kinda of like when you have a fleck of moisture on the monitor and when you move you can see the colours change, magnified underneath, but not really focus on it. It's like a darker, small circular speck of fuzzy light that's also like a tiny grey pinky filter that's always creeping back into my vision at work when I move my eyes and seems to be different from a normal floater. At times there's 2 or 3 of them. I can't focus on anything now, I focus short of things involuntarily and see the specks. I've only noticed this symptom in the past few days and it's (surprise!) getting me down. And I can't go to the doctor as my parents have enough on their plate which I don't want to go into.

boy
29-06-07, 14:24
I've had 84 views and 2 replies that weren't mine - doppl take one look and think I'm doomed? :(

honeybee3939
29-06-07, 17:52
Hi Boy:)

Everyone is different when it comes to symptoms, i no myself i have had symptoms with anxiety that others havent come across.:ohmy:

I know you dont like bothering your parents, but if i was you i would have a word with them and explain just how you are feeling its got to better than worrying. Or could you make a appointment to see the opticians without your parents?

It does sound like anxiety could be causing your symptoms go get your eyes checked out then you can move on.:)

Hugs
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

boy
29-06-07, 18:00
I last had an eye appointment in April and will be getting contacts pretty soon, so I could ask them to check my eyes the maybe? Perhaps they'll charge extra but I'd pay. I don't know if this would be the answer (less intrusive) or a brain scan, the prospect of waiting for which terrifies me. Incidentally, do you get the results immediately while you're there? When I first had worries 'down there' I had them scan me in March and got my results in May :s

Lissy43
29-06-07, 19:29
I have these, lots of dark & white floaters. I saw my DR who said to have an eye test, that put my mind at rest.

It can be a sign of a detached retener (sp) so go and see your optician, its very very rare in young people but thats the only thing it could be so do not worry. It is not a symptom of a brain tumour.

boy
29-06-07, 20:40
I quote a lecturer in uni who was teaching us about laser technology: "A detached retina is not the life-changing condition it used to be". He said it's only a matter of a simple operation to re-attach them, so in comparison to my current worry I wouldn't mind at all if it was that (though I would quite like it re-attached!!)

I'm unwilling to go Googling, but I'm sure I remember 'spots before your eyes' being a brain tumour symtpom - anyone who's an expert able to confirm/deny this? Please be honest.

Ehyeh
30-06-07, 02:54
i hope its not a sign of a tumour. i see spots all the time. do you mean like small versions of what you get when you stare at the sun?

Lissy43
30-06-07, 13:33
FLashing lights along with high bp can be a symptom of brain tumour yes but you would know about it. GO and see your GP to put your mind at rest.

I see you are only 19 years old, you are so very young to be living like this. I would talk to your dr about how you are feeling. My anxiety hit at 19 yrs old, I had counselling and it was all due to my childhood, my father especially. I am now able to deal with things alot easier although my anxiety does hit at times. There must be something causing you to feel this way, you are so young its not right that you feel the way you do.

vernon
30-06-07, 14:52
Hi boy, Are you short or long sighted, needing contact lens? I have had eye problems all my life and about 15 years ago until about 2 years ago I was registered blind, They didn’t think it would work but done surgery to remove a growth and a cataract and even though the retnor is badly damaged I got lots of sight back in one eye. Over the years I have been back and forth to eye hospitals so many times and have been told floaters are more common usually in people who are short sighted. With anxiety problems over the years I have had so many different types of floaters and really dizzy like under water look from my eyes. My wife has got the same from time to time and my daughter who is very anxious gets this all the time, and she has nor real eye problems. If you get to concerned ask your optician to refer you to the eye hospital, they can have a good look and put your mind at rest. Hope you feel better soon, Vernon

boy
30-06-07, 20:08
I'm short-sighted in one eye and long-sighted in the other. My right eye (the main offender in all this) is extremely short-sighted.

I'm glad you acknowledge different types of floaters. Mine vary from ebing speck-like and intrusive to being big but discreet.

boy
01-07-07, 00:53
[quote=Cherry3]FLashing lights along with high bp can be a symptom of brain tumour yes but you would know about it. GO and see your GP to put your mind at rest.

I see you are only 19 years old, you are so very young to be living like this.quote]

I don't have flashing lights, and I wouldn't even know what that would look like. Are they dots or ...? Unfortuantely, thanks to the media I've already read a couple of times about how I'm not too young for this. :s

boy
03-07-07, 23:34
Ok, it seem these tiny dark spots happen in both eyes (mostly not at the same time and not duplicated) when it's sunny. Arg.

nomorepanic
03-07-07, 23:39
FLashing lights along with high bp can be a symptom of brain tumour yes but you would know about it. GO and see your GP to put your mind at rest.

Woah!

That is not true. I have eye problems and high BP and do NOT have a brain tumour.

That will scare people to death saying that :ohmy:

nomorepanic
03-07-07, 23:41
I'm short-sighted in one eye and long-sighted in the other. My right eye (the main offender in all this) is extremely short-sighted.

Me too - had eye test last week and one eye is short sighted and one long.

I get floaters too and it is all anxiety trust me.

boy
04-07-07, 00:11
I feel bad to keep posting in depth and extending this thread but these are little black spots that are kinda like tiny versions of when u've looked at something bright, ie they can have purply and greeny 'brightness' about them when I move my eyes.

They come and go and appear in sunny conditions. I've had floaters all my life and enjoyed watching them float about. These scare me coz they're different and I've noticed them for about a week now. I really hope they float off.

boy
20-07-07, 14:22
Just thought I'd say, the moon silhouette at the left of this image is similar to the scary dots I get creeping into my vision when it's sunny. It kind of glows purply green when I move my eyes if it's not in the centre of my view.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44010000/jpg/_44010636_saturn_moon416x200.jpg

Lacrymosa
20-07-07, 20:15
I have weird eye symptoms too. Though I do have an astygnatism. I've read that having this can do really strange things to your eyes. Like whenever I look at the sky or a bright light I see little things that almost look like tiny worms swimming about or if I look at a really bright light my vision goes darker. If it was something serious like a brain tumor you would know.

David985623
21-07-07, 02:59
I have had floaters most of my life. I find that they are more noticable in sunlight. Didnt realise how many i had it used to play on my mind. I have experienced the dark looking ones but mainly clear ones. I stopped worrying when i found out what a common problem this is.

Dave

ams
24-02-09, 18:16
Boy, did you ever get any opinions on this?

I've got the same thing going on now...I know it's likely not something serious, but those weird flashy grey/green spots that I can kinda sometimes see in my peripheral vision do worry me.

It's funny...last week, I convinced myself that anything I needed to "test" myself to see is probably not a big deal, and then, this morning, when in the shower (I only see these against light backgrounds, for the most part), one popped up without me noticing.

Could a tumor affect both eyes at once in the same way?

Ugh. And I've been really good w/ my anxiety lately...

naomimimi
26-02-09, 10:21
i have the exact floaters you describe Boy! have had a full 2 hour eye checkup and eyes were fine. i am also very short sighted and wear contacts.
when i have bad depersonisation i also get tunnel vision or foggy vision.

just make sure you eat lots of carrots, they are full of beta carotine which is good for your eyes.