PDA

View Full Version : IBS diagnosed but worried.

Bubbletrump
28-12-17, 17:13
Hello everyone. I'm hoping that someone else has experienced this and can give me a bit of reassurance.

I was diagnosed with IBS and functional dyspepsia in 2014 and I have flare ups every now and again. One of the triggers for my upper abdomen problems is wine so I tend to avoid it. On Saturday I went out to a Christmas 'do' and had two glasses of white wine (I know!). Since then I've had the usual right upper quadrant pain, bloating, burping, stomach rumbling etc. This is no different than what I have experienced before but whenever I get it, I still worry that it is more than IBS.

The pain is under my ribs, quite central but more to the right. It goes down my side and moves around my abdomen - sometimes I feel it nearer to my belly button, hip etc and the area feels tender to touch, like it's bruised. I have had a scan to check for gallstones and all of my bloods are normal; liver function find etc.

Does anyone else get pain in this region with their IBS etc?

Any advice would be gratefully received as I'm worrying and making things worse.

Thank you! Xx

Melonpony
28-12-17, 17:24
Hello everyone. I'm hoping that someone else has experienced this and can give me a bit of reassurance.

I was diagnosed with IBS and functional dyspepsia in 2014 and I have flare ups every now and again. One of the triggers for my upper abdomen problems is wine so I tend to avoid it. On Saturday I went out to a Christmas 'do' and had two glasses of white wine (I know!). Since then I've had the usual right upper quadrant pain, bloating, burping, stomach rumbling etc. This is no different than what I have experienced before but whenever I get it, I still worry that it is more than IBS.

The pain is under my ribs, quite central but more to the right. It goes down my side and moves around my abdomen - sometimes I feel it nearer to my belly button, hip etc and the area feels tender to touch, like it's bruised. I have had a scan to check for gallstones and all of my bloods are normal; liver function find etc.

Does anyone else get pain in this region with their IBS etc?

Any advice would be gratefully received as I'm worrying and making things worse.

Thank you! XxSince its in line with your usual flare up symptoms connected to wine, I personally wouldn't worry. What I would do is give it a week to settle down, and also avoid wine. :-)
Hard to do this time of year.

Thanks for posting, bc I had some stomach pain this morning that isn't completely unfamiliar, but I didn't understand why. I DID have a glass of wine last night (I rarely drink, but have been stressed, so thought that might help relax me). I wonder now if I also have an IBS wine sensitivity.
I expect to get my IBS diagnosis next week, at my GI appt for a colonoscopy follow up...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bubbletrump
28-12-17, 17:56
Thank you for your reply Melonpony. I'm sure you understand the mental process that goes along with these flare ups. I don't know why I can't just chill out about it.

I am with you on the relaxation qualities of a nice glass of wine.i used to love the odd glass and sometimes even now one won't hurt but 90% of the time it does and, when it does, it hurts for days. So I tend to avoid it. I thought I might get away with it on Saturday but no.

Best of luck with your diagnosis. I hope you get some help. Please keep us posted.

Melonpony
28-12-17, 18:08
Thank you for your reply Melonpony. I'm sure you understand the mental process that goes along with these flare ups. I don't know why I can't just chill out about it.

I am with you on the relaxation qualities of a nice glass of wine.i used to love the odd glass and sometimes even now one won't hurt but 90% of the time it does and, when it does, it hurts for days. So I tend to avoid it. I thought I might get away with it on Saturday but no.

Best of luck with your diagnosis. I hope you get some help. Please keep us posted.Thanks, Bubbletrump.
It's weird with wine - I actually never made the connection until your post here. It definitely affects me.

The flare ups are horrible on us, mentally. It is really when I get my lowest, as far as worry goes. And my GI nurse told me that stress and worry about the symptoms actually make them worse.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bubbletrump
28-12-17, 19:21
Worry and anxiety most definitely impact negatively on my IBS. Life's cruel, right!