PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety or concussion symptoms

Scooter86
29-12-17, 01:15
Hey all,

So today I had a little fender bender while driving, nothing too serious I don’t think - my front bumper is a little cracked in a few places but otherwise my car is running fine. But of course because it spiked my adrenaline and anxiety when it happened I’m worried I will start getting concussion symptoms. About 5 years ago I was in another fender bender which gave me a minor concussion and post concussion syndrome and symptoms lasted about 3 months, sensitivity to light and sound, trouble watching tv, feeling dazed or in a dream.

Flash back to today, now I’m so worried these symptoms are going to hit me again. I’ve got a light pressure headache and am feeling tired, but this can also be attributed to anxiety which is normal considering the situation. I guess my question is, does anyone have any experience with identifying concussion symptoms rather than just anxiety symptoms?

I know it’s hard to say, and if it happens it happens and I’ll deal with it if I do get those awful symptoms again but it was so hard the first time i had those symptoms - it actually spiked my anxiety a lot.

Any advice??

Careful1
29-12-17, 01:21
Did you hit your head during this accident?

Scooter86
29-12-17, 01:22
No I didn’t, I just jerked forward on impact

Careful1
29-12-17, 02:34
well if it was just a little fender bender I am sure your head did not jerk back and forth hard or fast enough to cause a concussion but I understand the worry anxiety can cause. I am sure you are and will be just fine but of course you know the symptoms of a concussion and should you develop them you know to seek medical attention.

Try not to worry

EKB
29-12-17, 13:49
My sister is dealing with post concussion syndrome and the way she explained it to me was that even at this early stage her brain injury is stable, and unless she reinjures it's not going to get worse - she just has to manage the symptoms. So you're 5 years on and that much more stable.

If your fender bender was minor and you didn't experience any real force on your head, then you probably are just experiencing that adrenaline and anxiety over a recurrence. But it's still probably advisable to get a checkup if things don't settle down just to be sure as anxiety and post concussion can kind of go hand in hand (being both brain things).

I think this is one of those things where a little caution is okay, but also try not to worry at the same time because you're more than likely just fine.

Good luck! Fender benders suck.

Scooter86
29-12-17, 22:24
Thanks everyone,

I keep going back and forth convincing myself its either anxiety or an actual concussion - the only continual symptoms I have is tensions across my forehead, behind my eyes and over my ears. Other than that I’ll go through bouts of feeling foggy, kind of mesmerized, unable to focus. The problem is all of those could be anxiety related and probably are. I’ve been hit harder playing sports in the past - and i know I’m just associating any hit to my head with a concussion now that I’ve had one. Ugh anxiety sucks.

Speranza
29-12-17, 22:53
Sounds as though you are coping pretty well tbh. Keep talking sense to yourself. You will know if any sympotms kick in, but unless they DO, assume they won't. And as you know, everything you describe could well be anxiety.

Fishmanpa
29-12-17, 23:09
No doubt you're a bit shaken up. No doctor here but from what you describe, at worst it's some strained/pulled muscles in your neck from your head jerking with the impact that are causing the uncomfortable feelings along with the general stress on being in the accident.

Feel better soon and glad to hear it wasn't worse.

Positive thoughts