PDA

View Full Version : GAD - this time about parking

Bones556644
29-12-17, 16:03
Hi all, as a general introduction, I suffer with generalised anxiety disorder and this can be triggered off by any number of things. For example, when I was at university I would be severely anxious about failing but would always get top marks. Would get anxious about friendships and people ‘hating me’ or not turning up when we had arranged to meet etc. It blights my life really.

We have bought a house around ten months ago and I just want some thoughts from others on the situation we are in.

We bought a house with a shared driveway, a far bigger house than we would have been able to get with it’s own drive. By a shared drive I mean one where there are two garages at the back via a drive which is only wide enough for one vehicle at a time to drive along. It is long enough for three or four cars to park on it. We were conscious of the fact it is shared and so knocked on the neighbours door before we moved in to get a ‘feel for them’ before we bought. They were lovely and we chatted for a while and they showed us round their house etc. I wasn’t too bothered about the concept of a shared drive before we moved in. On moving day, their van was parked in the shared drive and neighbour comes rushing out saying ‘you can block me in if you like mate’. Again, friendly enough and he helped us move our boxes in to the new house.

When we moved in, and with the benefit of hindsight this was cheeky on our part - we parked on the drive regularly - probably pretty much every day.

Then, about 4 months ago they had scaffolding put up to do their loft conversion and various other works which they spoke to us about beforehand and said ‘we are having this done’ as the scaffolding was to be on the shared drive. Work anticipated to last for six weeks - we can’t really make a fuss about it and we carried on parking just in front of the scaffolding.

We then come back from holiday and they are parking on the drive where we usually park and leaving no space for us to park on it. I get angry but realise there’s not much we can do as no one has a right to park on it at all and we have been parking on it for a while. We would look pretty stupid turning round and saying ‘you can’t park on it’.

Work takes about four months and in this time they have stacked building materials all over the driveway, including on our ‘side’ and continued parking on it, probably as often as we have. They told us that they were having their own drive constructed and would be parking both their cars on their own drive once it is built. They also said that if we wanted we could park on the shared drive at the front as then they could still access their garage (and so could we).

Once all works were finished and drive done, they now park both cars on their own driveway at front of house. We decide not to park on shared drive at all as we were aware of how irritating it got when they parked on it as it is shared land. So for about three/four weeks we park on road and they park on their drive. Shared driveway is kept clear with one or the other of us using it occasionally for parking to load or unload or if there is nowhere else to park ie road is full. This seems like the fairest way and I am conscious of treating others as you wish to be treated etc.

When we have had visitors we knocked on the door and asked if they minded us using the drive for them to park on for a few hours or so. We did this to encourage them to do the same and to try and keep good relations between us.

Yesterday, they knock on the door and ask if we mind if they use the drive today for visitors - we say no of course not as they did for us. Also, they add, they are having a ‘caravan’ delivered today which will be parked on their driveway at the front of their house and they will put one of their cars next to it. They then say that they will use the road in front to park their other car on, keeping the shared drive still clear. We say fine. They say caravan will only be there for a week or so (I think there was some mention of it stretching to two) whilst they clean it and they have sorted out storage which is where it will be long term.

Caravan has turned up and they put it on drive. They haven’t parked their car next to it or in front like they said they would and so both are on the shared drive with their visitor. It has only been here a couple of hours and so I think I am being unreasonable in expecting it all to be sorted out now and driveway clear immediately. There was some murmuring about how he didn’t think there was room for his van/car alongside the caravan. So I am worried that they will be on shared drive for weeks again.

I feel like I am being a bit unreasonable because it is only a short term arrangement. I think with the whole building and covering the shared drive in crap situation this just feels like something else that they are taking the p**s with and feels like we are constantly going to have to give in to their requests. Other half says I need to keep things in perspective, we are expecting a baby and he keeps saying that baby is much more important and if it drags on past the two weeks then we will speak to them. Whenever we have spoken to them in the past they have always been ok and moved if we have asked them to etc.

I struggle with anxiety and so my head just races to worst case scenarios of the caravan being there forever and us just having to accept them parking on the shared drive forever. Which when I write it down sounds a bit silly. I just feel like I can’t relax until the drive is clear again and if this takes weeks it’s robbing me of what could be a nice relaxing maternity leave. I keep looking out the window to see what is happening and stressing about what’s going on. I know that isn’t helpful behaviour but I am struggling to snap out of it and just find myself sitting around for hours brooding on it which isn’t helpful either!

This then means I’m not eating properly or going out much due to wanting to hide away until the ‘situation’ is back to what I am comfortable with.

I should add that we don’t use the drive for access to our garage every day as we don’t park in it. We park outside our house so as to keep shared driveway clear - it is owned half and half.

Anyone offer any words of comfort?

Dying_Swan
29-12-17, 20:04
Hi Bones

Sorry to hear this is stressing you out. Parking wars can be difficult for sure.

I guess my opinion in these situations is that friendly relations with neighbours is quite important, and if it isn't causing a big problem, it might be best to let it go. It sounds like they're reasonable people so hopefully they will move their cars soon enough, and it also means when you want to use the drive for your visitors, you'll feel perfectly justified in doing so. Once your little one is here (congratulations, by the way!), you'll probably have quite a stream of visitors who might need to use the drive. In addition, a good relationship with neighbours might be very handy once your baby arrives, if you need anything!

If it were me, I'd leave it, but if it's really bugging you, leave it while longer and then have a polite word.

Focus on looking after yourself and not stressing yourself out. Hopefully the caravan will soon be moved and things will be back to normal :)

Bones556644
29-12-17, 22:16
Thank you for taking the time to reply, it’s my first time posting on here and so heart warming to get a thoughtful response from someone.

In my head it’s a big problem as I don’t like it and feel like they are intruding on our half of the drive, but no one can park on it without intruding on the others ‘half’ and so I guess a little flexibility is needed in such situations.

I have difficulty just carrying on as normal whilst waiting for such ‘problems’ to sort themselves out and realise that this is silly as I’m not getting anywhere by just sitting around brooding on things and not just getting on with life and dealing with things as they arise.

I guess I just feel like they are taking the mick a bit seeing as they had their stuff all over the drive for building work recently and it’s only been about a month that it’s all been clear and ‘back to normal’. If this was the first time then I guess it would feel more like an isolated situation rather than an ongoing pain in the bum.

Dying_Swan
29-12-17, 22:59
It does sound a tricky situation.

I suppose you have two options really. Either live with it and try to distract yourself from how it's making you feel (relaxation exercises or mindfulness might help), or decide that you feel it is enough of a problem that you need to say something to your neighbours. If you do say something, would it be an idea to try to propose a solution and have some sort of agreement with the neighbours about how you both use the driveway? They probably have no idea it's making you feel anxious, so if you go ahead and have a word with them, I think tackling it positively might help.

Good luck, do hope it gets sorted for you soon

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

and P.S. welcome to the forum :)