PDA

View Full Version : Mum in hospital

Duchesskitty
30-12-17, 12:47
Hi all, I wanted to come on here and just get my worries off my chest. My mum has gone into hospital today- my dad took her to a and e as she has a chest infection and can’t breathe.
She has copd and has been admitted before with infections- she takes doxycycline regularly in the community to treat infections and today it’s not working.
I’m freaking out that she has some sort of drug resistant infection and that she will die. She already doesn’t use amoxicillin as it doesn’t work for her anymore.
I am trying not to lose the plot but I keep thinking this might be it. I know there are lots of antibiotics out there but I always thought doxycycline was strong?
Please help me put this into perspective.

emily67
30-12-17, 13:13
she is in a really good place- in the hospital, the very best place she could be right now while they try to figure out what's wrong

these people caring for her are professionals. they won't stop until they figure it out

can you ring the hospital from time to time and ask the doctors how she is doing?

please let us know here too.

I'm hoping for the best

Duchesskitty
30-12-17, 13:31
she is in a really good place- in the hospital, the very best place she could be right now while they try to figure out what's wrong

these people caring for her are professionals. they won't stop until they figure it out

can you ring the hospital from time to time and ask the doctors how she is doing?

please let us know here too.

I'm hoping for the best

Thank you so much Emily for your kind words. My dad is there with her at the moment- they saw her straight away in a and e so I will know more soon.
I think what makes this worse is a lady my mum knows who also had copd (and went to her copd group) died a couple of weeks ago in hospital due to a chest infection. (I work with this lady’s daughter) so the worst case scenario is very fresh in my mind.

I will keep you posted x

pulisa
30-12-17, 13:50
This must be so worrying for you but your Dad has done the very best thing by taking her to A&E and she is obviously a priority case. I would think that she would need IV antibiotics and admission because of her diagnosis and the severity of the chest infection but once these antibiotics start to work she should hopefully pick up very soon. She is in the very best place and I'm sure your dad will ring once he knows what the treatment plan is.
It's natural to worry about worst case scenario but your Dad has acted quickly and your Mum is now being monitored and made more comfortable and medication is readily available along with nursing care. I really hope you hear something soon. Please keep us posted if you can? We all realise what a horrible situation this is and the not knowing makes it worse xx

Bastett
30-12-17, 14:48
It's not that Amox isn't working anymore. That is why doctors take cultures to see what type of bacteria she has and to what type of antibiotics this bacteria is sensitive.

Duchesskitty
30-12-17, 16:31
Thanks for all the replies, I’ve just spoken to Dad who says they’re moving her into the ward and have given her some antibiotics and she has an IV too. Chest X-ray and bloods show an infection and The doctor thinks that she may have had the infection took for a few days and not shown symptoms which is why her oral antibiotics have t helped much- they’re not enough at the moment.
She usually starts them when she is coughing up mucus but she’s only just started doing so so she waited. I feel a lot better now and my dad is a lot calmer which is good. We’re going to go over and see her tomorrow. ��

Leslie735
31-12-17, 03:45
Praying for your mum!!

MyNameIsTerry
31-12-17, 04:39
IV antibiotics are faster acting so they will start helping her much quicker. When my mum was in with pneumonia she was on IV & oral until they removed the IV. She saw an improvement quickly and whilst she didn't have COPD then (we've just found out she now has it) she did have asthma and being in her seventies issues with blood pressure and on various meds.

Other treatments such as steroids are sometimes used in asthma to quickly reduce inflammation and their action can be quite quick. So, talk to the doctor because there are other things they can do (breathing equipment or nebulisers may help) and I'm sure they will do what is needed.

My mum has just had an infection and after last time, and she's had 6 months of tests with cardiology this yeae due to an enlarged heart and various problems, we were worried she might end up back in hospital again. A course of antibiotics & steroids sorted it out, the steroids in particular helped her breathing recover quickly (1.5 days in and she looked much better).

I hope she is feeling better soon. This is going to be hard on you & your anxiety but it will pass and you will likely be just wanting to help as your love for your mum is much stronger than anxiety.

:hugs::flowers:

Duchesskitty
31-12-17, 05:26
Thanks again for all the lovely wishes! Wanted to update as I’ve had a brief chat with Mum on the phone before bed- she’s still quite breathless but can speak a bit better now- yesterday mornings no she could only say a couple of words before she was gasping for air.
She told me that after they had started her on the antibiotics (and after Dad called me) , they told her that the infection is viral not bacterial which is why the doxycycline wasn’t helping! She has a lot of mucus which COPD causes.
I was a bit confused as I must have misunderstood what Dad said about her results: Mum had her blood results after he left but had the results of the chest x-ray first.
I’m very relieved though, my biggest fear was that she had a resistant bacteria so this is very reassuring! Hopefully I will get to see her today but I seem to be getting a cold myself so might just FaceTime as I don’t want to potentially give her something else on top.

pulisa
31-12-17, 08:30
Best to keep away if you think you are getting a cold as you say. I'm very pleased that she's being well looked after and that the infection isn't bacterial. You must have been so worried when she went to hospital. I hope she continues to improve and that the breathing soon gets a lot easier. At least you know her diagnosis now and she can concentrate on getting better. Take care yourself:hugs:

Chris 614
31-12-17, 09:52
My mom is 83. She has Parkinson's. Every year when the weather starts getting cold and the rainy season comes (we get much rain from October thru June) she gets what her doctor calls winter asthma. She is not mobile so gunk settle in her chest and she has trouble coughing stuff up. If she gets a cold or flu things get worse...And she always gets a cold or flu in winter. She wheezes a lot and her blood oxygen levels go down. BUT, it's amazing how the doctor's are able to prescribe the right medications and breathing treatments to help with this. My point is, your mom is getting the right care and there are good treatments out there to help her through this. Positive thoughts being sent your way!

MyNameIsTerry
31-12-17, 11:35
My mum was the same with her recent infection - she could barely speak and she was so tired she was sleeping all day. As soon as the meds kicked in, she was able to speak more and was awake.

I'm glad to hear she is getting better. Hopefully she will be back home soon, I bet she can't wait to get out.

Yes, be cautious if you are getting something. It's best not to take that into hospital anyway and your mum will just appreciate any contact.

Duchesskitty
31-12-17, 17:20
Just FaceTimed her, she’s a lot chirpier and has had a shower. She was breathless walking back from the shower but she has more colour in her cheeks. I’m so happy though that she’s feeling a bit better. They might let her home tomorrow if her sats keep improving but I don’t think she’ll be in there long.

Thank you all for the reassurance and helping me rationalise! Also the kind words and well wishes are very appreciated! Health anxiety for me doesn’t just cover me, it’s others too so this was a real worry!

emily67
31-12-17, 19:13
this is great news!

I'm glad she's okay

I knew she would be

x

Duchesskitty
03-01-18, 12:09
Hi, just wanted to update that she’s coming home tomorrow! :D
She’s so much better and phoned me this morning to say she managed the stairs with the physio and is feeling a lot more like herself.
I’m so happy and want to say thanks to you all for helping me rationalise.
My only regret is that I haven’t been able to go and see her due to having the bug that everyone in England seems to have! (Trying not to freak about it!)

pulisa
03-01-18, 12:54
That's wonderful news! I'm so glad she will soon be home and you'll be able to go and see her when your bug has gone. I think anyone-anxiety disorder or not-would be terribly worried if their loved one were rushed into hospital, especially when you knew your Mum had COPD so I would say your reaction was entirely normal.

Now you get better yourself and look forward to your Mum coming home!

braveinfiction
03-01-18, 13:45
Happy to hear everything is okay.