PDA

View Full Version : Recurring skin abscess/boil?

patroclus
30-12-17, 19:40
So I’ve had this lump on my bikini line for almost a year now and for a while I didn’t go to the dr for it due to health anxiety and I thought it would go away on its own. It did get smaller and bigger at times, usually getting worse around the time of my period. In October it got more painful and actually started draining some so I went to the doctor and they said it was a skin abscess, likely caused by staph or mrsa. They gave me a round of Bactrim DS for I think 10 days and I took them and it did seem to get better and my anxiety about it was lessening. By the time I finished the antibiotics, the abscess was definitely a lot better though there was still a tiny lump but I didn’t think too much of it since I thought it might’ve just been scar tissue. Well a couple months passed an it’s swelled up at times but never got too bad and just a week or so ago I thought it was completely gone, I felt so relieved. All this until a few days ago when it came back and started draining again so I went to the urgent care and the doctor gave me more Bactrim to take as well as Doxycycline and I’ve been on thse for 3 days now. I don’t know for certain if it’s actually healing or not, it’s not draining anymore but the lump is still there and incredibly tender. I’m just really worried why I keep getting this and google searches have of course been no help they’re all just telling me I might have an antibiotic resistant infection of mrsa and that it might’ve gotten into my bloodstream and it’s giving me recurring infections and I’m worried it will lead to meningitis or sepsis :(
Any help/advice on this matter would mean the world to me

Chris 614
31-12-17, 06:07
I've been getting these for thirty years. I get them on various areas of my body. I've never had to take an antibiotic for them. They start as a red bump, grow more with fluid in them, and get painful and then drain quite a bit and eventually get better. Sometimes they come back in the same place, sometimes not. I get a lot of them at once when I am under a lot stress. I don't go to the doctor anymore for them. They don't cause too much trouble unless they are big or in a place that rubs...then they hurt until they drain. I had more than twenty of them at once one time, one even popped up on my eyelid. They all went away eventually. I was never told it was staph or mrsa. Just skin boils. I keep them clean with soap and water and keep them as dry as possible.

Don't Google. You are okay.

glassgirlw
31-12-17, 15:12
I get them frequently around underwear line. Never take meds for them. Just keep them clean and I use neosporin on them to ward off infections. Think they’re pretty normal really. Don’t worry!!

NervUs
31-12-17, 17:09
Why not just go to a dermatologist?

It might be nothing, but there are things it could be that would need removal.

Duchesskitty
31-12-17, 17:15
I have a standing prescription for fucidin (antibiotic cream) for one on my bikini line which was the bane of my life. I find it does help and “touch wood” it has been ok for a while!