PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause feeling like you cant take a big enough breath?

Steven246
30-12-17, 21:01
Hi, so today whilst at work I started feeling my chest being quite tense and then kept yawning due to me being unable to take a deep breath properly. Does anyone know if this could be anxiety related and if so how can I fix it if suddenly happens again?

unicorndusy
30-12-17, 21:05
Hey,

I have had this several times and my best advice is to tell yourself you're okay, its just the anxiety. It will soon pass as scary as it can be, just assure yourself and it does go eventually. :D

Peace and love

B3521
30-12-17, 22:19
Yes, it absolutely can be. I spent 4 months this year struggling to take a deep breath until I went to A&E because it became so bad. They did all sorts of tests and did a chest X-ray and ECG and found nothing and put it down to anxiety. It's now went away. It can be signs of something more serious so should be checked out though.

ankietyjoe
30-12-17, 23:13
This is very common with anxiety. The solution is actually counter intuitive, and it's to slow down your breathing as much as possible, and breath only through your nose. When you keep trying to take deep breaths, you're actually hyperventilating and putting your blood gasses out of whack (not dangerous).

It tool me a long time to figure this out, but once you slow your breathing down and realise it's just a perception of shortness of breath, it actually becomes a lot easier to take a 'satisfying' breath again.

Malibustace
31-12-17, 13:55
Hi, this happens to me too, I find myself trying to take deep breaths constantly and then I end up with an aching chest. I’m certain mine is anxiety related, I’ve noticed that when I’m busy and preoccupied I breath perfectly normal, as soon as I stop to think about my breathing I feel as if I’m not filling my lungs and start forcing deep breaths. It’s a viscous circle with me.
I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice as I haven’t resolved the issue for myself yet.

Steven246
31-12-17, 19:52
Thank you everyone for your advice and support, yes just like the last person who replied as soon as I'm occupied on something else and not focus on it, seems to go away. Exactly the same with my other main issue being nausea as soon as able to distract myself then also seems to go away. Ah these anxiety symptoms can make you worry so much lol.

Catherine S
31-12-17, 20:02
This is one of the most common anxiety symptoms. When we're anxious all of our muscles are in a constant state of tension and this includes the chest wall muscles which, together with the imbalance of oxygen and carbon dioxide caused by anxious breathing, often results in feeling we can't take a deep breath. Breathing exercises can help such as breathing in on the count of 8 & out on 6 etc...there are demos online which you could try.

Cath S ☺

Martin Rowe
01-01-18, 02:56
Hi there. I can say from experience that I too have suffered from the odd feeling like you can't take a full breath. With me it goes on its own, usually when I've calmed down and it doesn't bother me anymore. I think like some of the others have said it is one of the most common anxiety symptoms, probably from tense chest muscles and not breathing properly.