PDA

View Full Version : One year on

Traceypo
31-12-17, 16:31
Some of you may remember me as a regular on this forum over many years. New Years Day 2017 I left No More Panic behind as my anxiety was at an all time low and I didn't want to tempt fate or read anything that might have been detrimental to my progress and recovery. I thought it would be nice to come back and provide an update to the people who had given me so much back then.
I'd suffered from Health Anxiety for 8 years, I'd had some short periods in this time when I was less anxious but nevertheless those feelings were always there. At my worst, I believed I would die that day. Usually my irrational fears were heart issues but that changed when I convinced myself I had Cancer of the mouth and actually cried to my dentist when he thoroughly examined me and told me there was no signs at all (I'd also left my front door unlocked whilst I was at this appointment which is a reflection of the state I was in).
The catalyst for me for my recovery was having a minor surgical procedure. My behaviour in hospital was embarrassing and following this procedure I made a promise to myself to do everything within my power to overcome this.
I booked in for my third and most successful round of CBT where we not only looked at the health anxiety but also my other worries and fears and for the first time I recognised that I had a lot of generalised anxiety. Basically I had a fear of anything and everything I did could ultimately result in me dying.
During this time I looked back on my threads on here and started to take on board the advice I'd been given. I realised I had nothing to lose by trying these suggestions and see if they worked for me. I also kept a diary of progress, triggers, small steps forward which was used for reflection when I was having a moment.
What worked for me was exercise, not a ten minute walk once a fortnight but regular exercise. I'm privileged to live 10 minutes from the coast and started walking at least 5 times a week and built it up to four miles each time. As my anxiety decreased I started to notice the beauty of my surroundings.
Mindfulness was also key, I used internet guides to learn how to lose myself in thoughts of nothing, I do this now but don't even recognise I'm doing It, it takes no effort at all now.
But, what had the biggest impact was stopping smoking, I'm over 1.5 years smoke free now and the freedom I feel may only be truly understood by a fellow addict who has overcome their poison.
During this time, life has thrown some curve balls my way, life hasn't all been rosy but I cope now. I don't hide or isolate myself with fears of dread instead I try to tackle problems with a positive mindset.
I've glanced quickly over the forum and I'm sad to see many familiar names, I hope 2018 is your year to beat this, it can be done, I'm living proof of that. All those fears of illness were exactly that, they were fears, crippling fears and at times they had such an impact on my life that it became only an existence but they weren't real, they were fears I'd created with my thoughts.
Wishing you all the best for 2018, I truly hope it's your year.

susie1
31-12-17, 16:54
Hi
What a lovely post. Thankyou for taking the time to write because I know that once a fear is gone it is very tempting to leav3 th4e forum for a while. I hope you continue to be well
happy new Year!

Beckie4567
31-12-17, 17:01
So glad u feel better I too was a regular poster but havnothe been on here in a while wishing u a healthy and happy 2017 x

cattia
31-12-17, 17:22
Thank you for this. I really want to make a post like this one this time next year. It's been a horrible year for me and writing it all down in a journal has made me realise how ill I really have been with my anxiety over the past twelve months. I have a couple of current health fears going on and I don't know how to get past them but I hope I can find a way.

Traceypo
31-12-17, 21:11
Susie - thank you, leaving the forum wasn't taken lightly but I felt at that time I needed to move forward. I came back with the intention of giving hope to some that 2018 will be the year they make positive changes in their lives.
Beckie - I'm so pleased to see the changes in you. I worried greatly about you, you're spiral began at the time I was recovering and my heart went out to you, I could feel your fear. Well done, I hope you and your family are well and happy.
Cattia - you can do It, you will get there. Never give up, recovery is a journey. Even the smallest steps eventually add up to a mile. Don't lose the fight and use all your strength to fight your thoughts.
Xxx

Toronto girl
31-12-17, 21:37
Traceypo, what a constructive post. It is wonderful when people post success stories. It really gives hope. Happy New Year!

goodman
31-12-17, 22:14
Some of you may remember me as a regular on this forum over many years. New Years Day 2017 I left No More Panic behind as my anxiety was at an all time low and I didn't want to tempt fate or read anything that might have been detrimental to my progress and recovery. I thought it would be nice to come back and provide an update to the people who had given me so much back then.
I'd suffered from Health Anxiety for 8 years, I'd had some short periods in this time when I was less anxious but nevertheless those feelings were always there. At my worst, I believed I would die that day. Usually my irrational fears were heart issues but that changed when I convinced myself I had Cancer of the mouth and actually cried to my dentist when he thoroughly examined me and told me there was no signs at all (I'd also left my front door unlocked whilst I was at this appointment which is a reflection of the state I was in).
The catalyst for me for my recovery was having a minor surgical procedure. My behaviour in hospital was embarrassing and following this procedure I made a promise to myself to do everything within my power to overcome this.
I booked in for my third and most successful round of CBT where we not only looked at the health anxiety but also my other worries and fears and for the first time I recognised that I had a lot of generalised anxiety. Basically I had a fear of anything and everything I did could ultimately result in me dying.
During this time I looked back on my threads on here and started to take on board the advice I'd been given. I realised I had nothing to lose by trying these suggestions and see if they worked for me. I also kept a diary of progress, triggers, small steps forward which was used for reflection when I was having a moment.
What worked for me was exercise, not a ten minute walk once a fortnight but regular exercise. I'm privileged to live 10 minutes from the coast and started walking at least 5 times a week and built it up to four miles each time. As my anxiety decreased I started to notice the beauty of my surroundings.
Mindfulness was also key, I used internet guides to learn how to lose myself in thoughts of nothing, I do this now but don't even recognise I'm doing It, it takes no effort at all now.
But, what had the biggest impact was stopping smoking, I'm over 1.5 years smoke free now and the freedom I feel may only be truly understood by a fellow addict who has overcome their poison.
During this time, life has thrown some curve balls my way, life hasn't all been rosy but I cope now. I don't hide or isolate myself with fears of dread instead I try to tackle problems with a positive mindset.
I've glanced quickly over the forum and I'm sad to see many familiar names, I hope 2018 is your year to beat this, it can be done, I'm living proof of that. All those fears of illness were exactly that, they were fears, crippling fears and at times they had such an impact on my life that it became only an existence but they weren't real, they were fears I'd created with my thoughts.
Wishing you all the best for 2018, I truly hope it's your year.

What a magic post... well done.. I've done similar things with exercise and mindfulness and it truly works. God bless x

pulisa
01-01-18, 08:27
Am so pleased that you came back to write this thread, Tracey. You have achieved so much and others will be inspired to read about your successful management of your GAD and HA. I wish you very happy and healthy 2018!

Elen
01-01-18, 10:09
Tracey, I so love this post and thank you for sharing the tips that have helped you.

Hopefully this will inspire others still in the grips of anxiety to take the positive steps needed to improve their situation.

Wishing you all the best

Elen
01-01-18, 12:46
Bump, this is a thread that everyone should read and try and take on board.

Traceypo
01-01-18, 16:08
Thank you all, your kind words are appreciated.
I hope my words can inspire someone to make those changes in their life.
I got so much good advice from this forum and once I was ready to listen rather than be reassured that advice became invaluable.
It was the words of two members on this forum that helped me to stop smoking for good and I'm very grateful for that.

Fishmanpa
01-01-18, 16:12
Way to go TPO! What a difference! :yesyes: Keep up the good work. I hope others will be inspired to take their dragon by the horns and put him down.

Positive thoughts