PDA

View Full Version : So..... New Year’s Eve

bingjam
31-12-17, 22:37
Hi all!!!

I was wondering am I the only one who’s anxiety gets really high during the end of New Year’s Eve???

It happens every year and I don’t know what it is.

I’m lying here in bed now feeling so anxious and nervous and I can’t stop it. My stomach is in knots also.

It’s my sons birthday today so me and my husband never go out on New Year’s Eve as we spend it with him but as soon as he goes to bed I know the countdown is on and my anxiety hits the roof. Even though we’ve had a fabulous day out and had a little mini birthday party this evening just us and our 2 children.

Am I the only one this happens to as I’ve searched but haven’t really fount a post regarding this.

Here’s to hoping 2018 will be better for us all.

Malibustace
01-01-18, 02:33
Hi,

My anxiety is bad at the moment, we’ve just finished our house party but I feel awful, my chest feels tight and my head is full of negative thoughts, rather than positive “new year, new me” thoughts.

Wishing you a good 2018!

ServerError
01-01-18, 02:36
New Years Eve used to be really bad for my self-esteem. I have plenty of friends, but I'd often find myself with nobody to celebrate with. I'd just have to stay in.

But then I stopped caring. I started to view it as just another day and the pressure to make something of it lifted. I have good friends and the fact I don't necessarily see them on NYE no longer bothers me.

I'd say it really is another one of those cases where you just need to work on your thought patterns. Change how you view NYE and you'll beat the anxiety around it.

MyNameIsTerry
01-01-18, 04:44
I used to feel the same about any event whether NYE, Christmas Day, my birthday, etc. Back at my worst the same happened changing from weekday to weekend.

For me it was about pressure, leaving something behind that could not come again and it breaking up my routine. Working on feeling comfortable with change and breaking my routines until the anxiety around them lost its grip helped greatly.

All the usual for a GADer, change & uncertainty with a subconscious wanting to micro manage to control it's environment.

flatterycat
01-01-18, 18:48
MyNameisTerry - the way you describe your anxiety over any special event/change in routine is exactly what I experience. I so wish I could get over it, because it has prevented me from enjoying so many things.
Thanks for explaining it so well.