PDA

View Full Version : HIV anxiety spread over 2+ years

irat
31-12-17, 23:06
Hello!

Long story short - I'm an anxious mess. Let me try and summarise this as best I can.

In Sep 2015, I had protected intercourse (for maximum 90 seconds), and also received unprotected oral. After about 7 weeks, I felt quite poorly with what seemed like a weird flu, and then after just under 9 weeks, the glands on my neck enlarged. A quick Google of my symptoms, and guess what came up - HIV. :weep:

This, together with the fact that the woman I'd slept with roughly 2 months prior was black African, send me mad. I went to the doctors, who said it was glandular fever, although the blood test I had did not come back positive for glandular fever. This didn't seem to bother the doctor, and within a few weeks I felt fine.

However, the last 2 years have seen me research HIV absolutely frenetically. I know that my symptoms showed up too late for it to be the seroconversion, I know that receiving unprotected oral sex as a man has never been shown to cause HIV, I know that as long as the condom didn't obviously split (which it didn't) then there's no risk for STIs. But this doesn't stop my mind wondering. And researching. And fretting.

I feel like it's worth mentioning that about 1 year previous, I did have unprotected sex with a white 18 year old girl, but I did not feel anything like the ARS in the aftermath of that exchange, and am aware that statistically the odds of her having HIV in the first place as a woman of that age are extremely remote, let alone the odds of her passing it to a man after one sexual encounter.

I know what everyone is going to say - "test!", but I am yet work up the courage to do this. I'm not the most sexually experienced guy, I've only had these 2 sexual encounters, and have always been quite an anxious sort.

I'm trying to convince myself that the sheer science of it all means there's more chance that I win the lottery every week for a month, but if I'm ever bored, I always end up getting lost in the HIV-research wormhole....

Help :'(

goodman
01-01-18, 00:48
Go get tested simple... ps it dosnt matter what colour the person is.. HIV dosnt discriminate.

Toronto girl
01-01-18, 01:35
Wow your answer is simple and cut and dry. Get tested and move on..

irat
01-01-18, 11:25
The virus itself doesn't discriminate, agreed, but statistically, it is a disease that afflicts people of black-origin very disproportionately, and also older people in general (for obvious reasons).

I know testing is the long term solution, to any anxiety, I was just kind of looking for a reassuring "everything will be alright, you'll be fine" to calm me down...:doh:

poppy77
01-01-18, 11:38
Basically, you will never know and put this anxiety to rest unless you test. It us unlikely you have caught HIV but not impossible. There is no way people on a public anxiety forum can say anything that will make your anxiety regarding this better as we simply don't know. You will have to get a HIV test, that's it. Also, do this for the good of future sexual partners. This is not a health anxiety thing, this is a responsible thing to do. If you have any slight worry you have contacted HIV and have had unprotected sex, it is the responsible thing to do to get tested

Bigboyuk
01-01-18, 11:54
Hi Irat that's the worse thing you can do is Dr Google the chances of getting HIV is really low like not 1% but less than 1 % sure we have all made mistakes my friend so go and get tested there is 2 HIV tests you can have one you have wait for a week for it come back the other is a poc test that takes 20 mins while you wait :) Also air on the side of caution wear something next time not just to protect your self from HIV/STI's but to stop unwanted pregnancies too :) Let us know how you get on You will be fine!! ATB