PDA

View Full Version : Worry about lung cancer

Worriedwellornot
01-01-18, 11:44
Hi everyone. It's been a while! I just wanted to see if anyone else has been plagued with a terrible chest infection over the Xmas period? I've had an awful cough for over 3 weeks. Been back to Drs twice and on 3rd lot of antibiotics. My worry is that I've had an awful backache which won't go away. My Dr has said if I'm not better by end of next week he's sending me for chest X-ray. My HA has immediately ramped up and now I'm thinking lung cancer. I'm 60 years old and non smoker. Other colleagues have had something similar but cleared up pretty quick with antibiotics. I don't normally suffer with coughs and colds. Any help gratefully received. In myself I am improving slightly but very slowly. Thanks

JonS86
01-01-18, 11:58
Hi, so I haven’t had HA for years, this Christmas I have been in bed for 3 weeks with a horrendous virus which has made me hyper sensitive to how I feel and had me googling and worrying about my symptoms more than ever, to the point that I’m waking in the morning with anxiety.

You need to put into action everything you have learnt with your anxiety reduction. Illnesses are different in everyone, no cold is the same and no virus is the same and how they react inside of you is so complex, better people than you and I have been studying virus for years without making much progress so the chance of you or I working out how it’s going to affect you or how long it’ll take for you to get over it is nill.

It’ll take as long as it takes, it could take a few more weeks or it could be done next Tuesday who knows, be kind to yourself, distraction, get off google, drink fluids, go to the shop and get a paper, sign up to Netflix and watch some good series.

Btw you’re more likely to get run over on the way to the shop than it to be lung cancer if those are your symptoms, I’ve had a chest x day in the past, probably a good thing for you to have one as it’ll just put your mind at rest.

Worriedwellornot
01-01-18, 12:06
Thank you for your quick reply! I suppose for me it was the huge build up to Xmas, the excitement and then on the first day of the holiday i was laid very low with this virus unable to do anything. At first I was ok wth Drs saying chest infection but now it's been 3 weeks I've started to panic with his suggestion of chest X-ray. I'm supposed to be back at work on Weds but don't really feel up to it. Also I've had my children back home and now feel v depressed as everyone has gone home. I think kids are fed up' mum's always ill' and glad to escape back to their real lives! Hey ho...

JonS86
01-01-18, 12:21
Being ill at this time of year sucks, I’ve been in bed 3 weeks with vertigo, dizzy, vomiting, nausea. I was sick yesterday, everyone I know who’s been ill hasn’t been ill for 3 weeks, do you think it’s weird a 30 year old fit guy can be bed bound for over 3 weeks! I’ve had blood tests last week which came back crp high which is a sign my body is fitting a virus, just told to rest and come back in 2 weeks if worse or no better.

3 weeks for a chest infection is nothing people have them for months, that’s not to say you will but it’ll take as long as it takes.

Chin up! Get distracted, get off your phone or laptop and put it out of reach and get a paper or watch a new tv series.

Worriedwellornot
01-01-18, 12:32
Thanks Jon. Good advice. Im feeling fed up, no text wishing Happy New Year from the kids! Maybe that's normal at your age!

JonS86
01-01-18, 12:50
Easier said than done though eh

Worriedwellornot
04-01-18, 16:03
I had my chest X-ray on Tuesday but was told it would take a week for the Drs to get the results. I had a D dimer test for pulmonary embolism but that was normal. Now on 4th round of antibiotics and steroids. Chest feels slightly better but still feel I have no energy and like I have been hit by a truck. My heat pad is my best friend. Signed off work til Monday. Please let things improve shortly!