PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get better without taking antidepressants??

Lost all hope
02-01-18, 16:18
Hi I just want to know if it’s possible to get better without taking them I was on fluoxetine an had a real bad time on them! So now I’m scared to take them anymore! Has anyone got bettter without taking antidepressants??

Fishmanpa
02-01-18, 18:36
Sure they have BUT everyone is different and have different levels of mental illness to deal with. Some may require meds in order for your mind to relax enough to take in therapy. It's totally an individual thing.

Positive thoughts

KK77
02-01-18, 18:43
As Fish quite rightly says, it depends on your level of mental illness and whether your doc/GP recommends you take them. Of course, the choice is still yours, and many people have indeed overcome their condition without meds. But in some cases, meds act as a crutch while you still have to do the hard work.

AntsyVee
03-01-18, 07:11
I agree with FMP and KK.

However, note that there is trial and error in finding the right medication for any medical condition. For example, people with asthma may try several different inhalers before the get the right one and dosage. It’s no different for antidepressants. Just because fluoxetine didn’t work, doesn’t mean you should write them all off.