PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Chicago - Health anxiety

chicagofan689
02-01-18, 21:11
Can't believe I am back at this. About 4 years ago, after multiple ER visits, going through a bunch of primary care doctors who I thought just didn't understand me or care about finding a diagnosis, and pushing my husband to the brink of being fed up with me, I was diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder. It took me longer than it should have to realize I had a problem, and when I finally saw a psychiatrist and got on meds, I felt so much better.

About two years in to things, I felt well enough that I thought I could be off my meds. I never wanted meds to be a long term solution for me, so I thought I would give it a try. Things went well for quite some time. I would have the occasionally palpitation or worrisome thought, but I had developed enough coping mechanisms that I was able to steer away from a full blown panic attack.

Fast forward to now - for the last month, I have been experiencing more frequent palpitations. I had a sinus infection that lasted a couple of weeks, and now am back to the chest and shoulder pains. I rang in the new year in an ER bed because of a bout of 20 minutes of palpitations with chest and shoulder pain. After having a clear EKG, chest x-ray, and blood tests, I was sent home.

Today I convinced myself I had gallstones. Ultrasound was negative. All my labs are in normal range.

I have an appointment with my PCP to get back on the meds I was on before, but I just can't believe I am letting my health anxiety take over my life again.

Surprisingly, talking about it does help me somewhat. So, hi, from Chicago.

venusbluejeans
02-01-18, 21:16
Hiya chicagofan689 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Speranza
02-01-18, 21:21
Hi, nice to meet you.

Perhaps you could see it as NOT letting it take over again. You've made the decision to see your doctor and take meds to sort it out. I'd say that was pretty much you in control...