PDA

View Full Version : CBT question

Potter86
03-01-18, 11:44
This might sound a daft question,i start my cbt next monday will the therapist know all the symptoms of anxiety and be able to see if i have anxiety or an underlying medical condition (ms or parkinsons)? I dont want go back the doctors as ive been enough so im sort of hoping the therapist will be able to tell if its just stress and anxiety causing my symptoms (mainly shakes)

swajj
03-01-18, 12:12
A therapist will treat your anxiety. They aren’t interested in your underlying medical conditions. That’s not what they are trained for. Psychiatrists, unlike psychologists, are medically trained doctors but even they will refer you back to your doctor to address your symptoms. My psychiatrist told me from the get go that he wouldn’t discuss specific symptoms.

ankietyjoe
03-01-18, 13:32
If you've been to the GP lots of times already and they've ruled out MS etc, you don't need somebody else to confirm it.

Shaking is probably one of the top 5 symptoms of anxiety, it can be incredibly powerful including twitching, muscle spasms/weakness and lack of co-ordination.

Focus on the CBT and treating the underlying cause.

Potter86
03-01-18, 14:21
If you've been to the GP lots of times already and they've ruled out MS etc, you don't need somebody else to confirm it.

Shaking is probably one of the top 5 symptoms of anxiety, it can be incredibly powerful including twitching, muscle spasms/weakness and lack of co-ordination.

Focus on the CBT and treating the underlying cause.

I understand its one of the main symptoms but for over 2 months allday everyday? Im finding that hard to believe its just anixety

ankietyjoe
03-01-18, 14:25
If your anxiety is left untreated, you would possibly shake all day every day for years. It's your central nervous system on overdrive.

Has your GP ruled out MS/other conditions?

Potter86
03-01-18, 14:51
If your anxiety is left untreated, you would possibly shake all day every day for years. It's your central nervous system on overdrive.

Has your GP ruled out MS/other conditions?

My gp (2 of them) did the basic neuro tests and both said they dont think its a neuro disorder and think its anxiety but they are not neurologists ive seen numerous ms stories where Doctors have mis diagnosed ms for anxiety!! I literally have not stopped shaking/jerking/vibrating 24/7 for a couple of months there has been other symptoms but this symptom is the one thats getting me down and depressed i cant enjoy life like i used to when my body is constantly shaking,so frustrating

Scooter86
03-01-18, 14:58
I understand its one of the main symptoms but for over 2 months allday everyday? Im finding that hard to believe its just anixety

It’s incredible what the anxious mind can do - at my peak of anxiety I had headaches for a year, every day, and an upset stomach for months on end. CBT saved me. Go into the sessions with an open mind and truly truly give it your best shot. Listen to what your therapist says and follow their instruction. Thanks to cbt I can now just pull out my workbook when I’m feeling overly anxious and do a few thought records and it drastically reduces my anxiety.

Don’t be impatient with it either - it takes time to lessen your anxiety levels. It’s not like jamming on the brakes of a car. Your body gets comfortable at its high anxious level so it’s going to need practice and patience before the anxiety lessens. I would also recommend mindfulness meditation - if you go on YouTube and just type that in, you can find guided or unguided tracks of breathing meditations that truly helped me to.

Dont second guess the evidence that proves it’s all anxiety - take that evidence and let your brain accept it. Anxiety is powerful and filled with emotions but that’s also it’s problem, it’s emotions. If your doctor has told you it’s not ms, Use that evidence to override the strong anxious emotions. That’s what the cbt will help you do with lots of practice.

Good luck to you!

Potter86
03-01-18, 15:09
It’s incredible what the anxious mind can do - at my peak of anxiety I had headaches for a year, every day, and an upset stomach for months on end. CBT saved me. Go into the sessions with an open mind and truly truly give it your best shot. Listen to what your therapist says and follow their instruction. Thanks to cbt I can now just pull out my workbook when I’m feeling overly anxious and do a few thought records and it drastically reduces my anxiety.

Don’t be impatient with it either - it takes time to lessen your anxiety levels. It’s not like jamming on the brakes of a car. Your body gets comfortable at its high anxious level so it’s going to need practice and patience before the anxiety lessens. I would also recommend mindfulness meditation - if you go on YouTube and just type that in, you can find guided or unguided tracks of breathing meditations that truly helped me to.

Dont second guess the evidence that proves it’s all anxiety - take that evidence and let your brain accept it. Anxiety is powerful and filled with emotions but that’s also it’s problem, it’s emotions. If your doctor has told you it’s not ms, Use that evidence to override the strong anxious emotions. That’s what the cbt will help you do with lots of practice.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for your response appreciate it,i will 100% go into the cbt giving it my best shot as i want this nightmare to end

ankietyjoe
03-01-18, 15:11
ive seen numerous ms stories where Doctors have mis diagnosed ms for anxiety!!

Then I would stop reading those stories, seriously.

If you want to look for problems, google anxiety/shaking and read just how many people suffer with exactly the same symptoms as you describe. I used to have it too.

Try not to look for it being the worst case scenario, it will just prolong your recovery.