PDA

View Full Version : Chaotic University - Anxiety Never Been This Bad Since Depression

Sophie_King
03-01-18, 21:28
I knew University was gonna be tough, but it's been chaotic!

The last week before Christmas, all other universities in my country were on Christmas break, while mine had me having evaluations and exams every day; I only had one week off and my mental state did not recover in such short time! During the whole month of January I'm only having exams and I feel like I'm going to fail one already!

I know it's not the end of the world and probably flunking one subject or even more does not mean I'll flunk the whole year, but my parents are paying so much for me to follow my dreams and that financial weight is making me crack.

I was just looking for people to talk to about my situation because "canning it all up" is making me worse and worse by the day; I really don't want to give up but sometimes I feel like I'm worthless and I can't do this and it's just way out of my league...

Hollow
03-01-18, 22:04
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling like this.

University exams are super stressful for everyone and even more for somebody with anxiety issues. Maybe it's easier to deal with this on a exam to exam basis rather than looking at alI exams in the whole month and freaking out. I would concentrate on each exam as it comes, prepare for it the best I can, and move on to next one. I'm assuming that you will have a gap of a few days between each exam. I wish you all the best and I'm sure you will pass every exam like it was nothing.

Sophie_King
03-01-18, 22:26
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling like this.

University exams are super stressful for everyone and even more for somebody with anxiety issues. Maybe it's easier to deal with this on a exam to exam basis rather than looking at alI exams in the whole month and freaking out. I would concentrate on each exam as it comes, prepare for it the best I can, and move on to next one. I'm assuming that you will have a gap of a few days between each exam. I wish you all the best and I'm sure you will pass every exam like it was nothing.

Thank you Hollow.

Yes, I have a gap of a few days between most exams and your suggestion is not far off of what I was thinking of doing.
However, there are a few subjects more intensive than others, so I'm thinking I will write down a daily schedule and include an hour or two everyday of the subjects I think I need to study sooner along with the next exam from that date... Does that make sense? Example: Tomorrow morning I have my first exam. After I come home from it, I will study for the exam I have next, which is on Tuesday, plus a few hours for Chemistry, which is the last exam I have but it is more intensive.

Hollow
03-01-18, 22:44
That definitely seems like a good strategy and makes complete sense. Everyone has their own unique way of studying for an exam, maybe you could start preparing notes for those intensive exams beforehand so that when they're near all you have to do is study those notes. Good luck in your exam tomorrow morning.

kinwonderland
06-01-18, 18:08
Hi Sophie,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm doing an MA at the moment, as well as working a job - and the pressure is no good at all for my anxiety.

Here's somethings I've found that have really helped. Do you drink coffee? I quit coffee and it really helped in regulating a sleep pattern and levelling me out. It's tempting to drink it when you've got exams but I think that might help.

Also - breaking things down is great. I do that too - but it's important not to beat yourself up if you don't stick to that plan religiously. Remember - sometimes life happens!

Try to factor in time to see your friends too. They can always help lighten the load. It's important to have some time to reset and release the pressure too.

I hope that helps and good luck!