PDA

View Full Version : Meningitis?

Faithkristina
04-01-18, 11:50
Hi everyone! I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and even though I've gotten better at keeping my anxiety to a minimum, it's really got me scared tonight. So my husband and sister recently had the flu and I surprisingly did not get it until yesterday but it seems a bit more like a bad cold than the flu, like I'm really fighting it off. I feel like I would feel a bit worse if it was the flu.. not sure. However I have what feels like a sinus headache that is around my temples, behind my eyes, and goes down behind my ears making them ache a bit. I'm also coughing a bit and draining quite a bit as well. I had a fever ranging from 98-101 off and on throughout the day but the thing that got me the most freaked out was the neck and back tightness I was feeling. Im almost always really right in my back and shoulders but I kept waking up with a stiff neck last night (also having trouble sleeping) I first just figured it was due to inactivity and being inside for a while without exercise but then my mind started going down the path of "omg what if it's meningitus." The only other time I've had a persistent headache like this was when I had a really bad sinus infection a couple years ago so I'm thinking maybe it's that? Not sure, I've also been very tired for the past few weeks but figured that was just due to inactivity and very cold weather. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
No vomiting, cold hands/feet, or rashes. Just common cold/flu symptoms along with a bit of neck stiffness ( I can still move it around fine)

axolotl
04-01-18, 16:36
I had bacterial meningitis when I was 19 and it's a very dramatic illness when it strikes. I'd describe the experience but won't in fear of triggering you and others, but trust me I wasn't waking up with a bit of cold and a slight neck ache and wondering if it was meningitis and popping on the Internet to check with people a day or two later...

As for being tired for "a few weeks", a fast-acting illness like meningitis really doesn't work like that. You're joining dots that don't need to be joined.

Your family had cold/flu. You don't need to find deeper or scarier explanations for cold/flu symptoms. Obviously (the standard caveat I'd give anyone) that if things change be sensible and don't listen to Internet randoms, but I don't really read anything there that's making me think beyond the very obvious likelihood that you've simply caught your husband's cold.