PDA

View Full Version : Aura before migraine

rainbow
04-01-18, 15:49
Hi, i'm not particularly prone to migraines but have had maybe 4 over the last ten years.

I got home after work last night and was sitting watching tv when I suddenly noticed a multicolored zig zag line in my right eye, it worked its way from the bottom to the top over about 15 minutes or so. I took paracetamol in a hope to ward off the headache but within half an hour I could feel it starting to get painful. I still have a headache today and feel generally yucky.

I'm just wonderr if it could have been caused by stress. My cat had to go to the vets yesterday after having had seizures and being unable to pass urine so i've been worried about him a lot. Also my 31year old son hada strange thing happen last week where he got up inthe middle of the night and was numb all down his left side and found it difficult to walk. I made an appointment for him to see his gp and he was told it could have been a TIA but unlikely because of his age. He has an appointment at the stroke clinic tomorrow morning.

I have been struggling badly for the last 17 months with anxiety and trying to control it but feel a bit on edge today. Trying not to overthink.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Anyone else get an aura with a migraine?

Fishmanpa
04-01-18, 16:00
Do a search for Migraine Aura (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/search.php?searchid=6495032) and there are pages and pages of similar posts.

Positive thoughts

nivekc251
04-01-18, 17:17
I've had these . The first time I had it I thought I was going blind. It freaked me the hell out. I was at work luckily a neurologist was there and he told me what it was. He said they are harmless and to expect a terrible migraine after the aura passes. I get the randomly maybe once every 2 years or so.

rainbow
04-01-18, 17:19
I have searched and come across lots which is reassuring but I have also googled migraine with aura and it has come up that an aura can be more of a concern for a stroke. My mum was only 42 when she had her first stroke and was 45 when she had the fatal one. Normally strokes don't worry me even with my mums history but for some reason this has got into my head and i'm almost worried to go to sleep tonight.

Silly, I know!

Halle0587
04-01-18, 17:25
I have had these since I was 16. I'm 30 now. I don't get them often, but I know the aura when it comes on. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. Certain things can trigger it. If I see the aura I have found that Aleve and a cold caffeinated beverage (for me a Coke) work well to help shorten the length. I have been told that the stroke part is more of a concern regarding medications. For example, I am only allowed to take non-hormonal birth control pills bc of the risk.

I posted about this on Facebook last year, I was supposed how many of my friends have migraines with Aura. Many suggested magnesium to take.

poppy77
04-01-18, 19:17
I've had these. Very common.

lyndau63
05-01-18, 01:00
Me too. My migraines always start like this.

pulisa
05-01-18, 08:30
Rainbow, I hope your son and cat are ok? Must be very worrying for you and not surprising that you have a migraine. Hope you are feeling better today?

Pollikin
05-01-18, 09:21
Hi rainbow. I get migraines - not ever so often, but they're usually brought on by stress ( had one last night actually) and they ALWAYS start with odd vision. In me my vision goes all kaleidoscopic, then I get zig zags and only then, the headache. They are a particular type of migraine called an ocular migraine. Does respond to medication, but does leave you feeling rather " out of it " for a day or so. It really isn't anything to worry about but a trip to doc to get some effective medication to have on hand when you do get one would be a good idea. Try to relax xx

rainbow
05-01-18, 14:42
Thanks for all the replies, i've calmed down a little and my head is better now. I certainly helped to see that there are others who've experienced the aura with the migraine.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Rainbow, I hope your son and cat are ok? Must be very worrying for you and not surprising that you have a migraine. Hope you are feeling better today?

Hi pulisa, I went with my son to the stroke clinic this morning and they are sending him for an mri in the next few weeks, just to be on the safe side. His blood pressure was high so its a little concerning.

Just had a message from my vet saying my cat is doing well and we can get him home today.

pulisa
05-01-18, 17:31
Very good news about your cat! At least your son will be thoroughly checked out-I can understand your concern but he is obviously being carefully monitored. Take care:hugs:

Gary A
05-01-18, 17:42
What you’re describing is known as a scintillating scotoma, and it is the most common visual aura associated with migraine.

I would actually be more inclined to think that this was a retinal migraine rather than one originating in the brain, as only one eye was affected. It certainly doesn’t sound like any type of precursor to a stroke.

Mel_82
05-01-18, 20:53
I also don’t think it’s a stroke sign.
I’ve been dealing with migraines with aura since I was 18 or 19. So almost 15 years now.

I’ve been prescribed a Triptans for them, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Mine go like this: vision light like you described. If I catch it then and take my meds sometimes it goes away. If not, then my left hand will go numb, followed by my face/tongue and sometimes even into my leg - usually all on the left side.

Also, I get confused - for example the last attack I had I struggled to find words like “traffic light”’slipped my mind and for the life of me I couldn’t remember what it was called.

Once it passes I’m left with a dull headache - nothing really major.

I get them a couple times a year sometimes and then something’s a couple times a month. My last one was early Nov and it was a doozie.

I can totally relate tho. They’re scary as heck. I’ve had them for so long and have had them often but they still cause me a ton of anxiety and scare me when they come.

rainbow
06-01-18, 11:56
Very good news about your cat! At least your son will be thoroughly checked out-I can understand your concern but he is obviously being carefully monitored. Take care:hugs:

Thanks, cat's home and looking so much better. I know its good that my son's getting checked out but i'll be on edge until we find out if everything is ok.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

What you’re describing is known as a scintillating scotoma, and it is the most common visual aura associated with migraine.

I would actually be more inclined to think that this was a retinal migraine rather than one originating in the brain, as only one eye was affected. It certainly doesn’t sound like any type of precursor to a stroke.

I've never heard of a retinal migraine before, not sure whether to be more worried now or not.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

I also don’t think it’s a stroke sign.
I’ve been dealing with migraines with aura since I was 18 or 19. So almost 15 years now.

I’ve been prescribed a Triptans for them, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Mine go like this: vision light like you described. If I catch it then and take my meds sometimes it goes away. If not, then my left hand will go numb, followed by my face/tongue and sometimes even into my leg - usually all on the left side.

Also, I get confused - for example the last attack I had I struggled to find words like “traffic light”’slipped my mind and for the life of me I couldn’t remember what it was called.

Once it passes I’m left with a dull headache - nothing really major.

I get them a couple times a year sometimes and then something’s a couple times a month. My last one was early Nov and it was a doozie.

I can totally relate tho. They’re scary as heck. I’ve had them for so long and have had them often but they still cause me a ton of anxiety and scare me when they come.

That sounds really scary. I didn't get a really bad headache but it lingered on for a couple of days.

Gary A
06-01-18, 12:31
I've never heard of a retinal migraine before, not sure whether to be more worried now or not.

A migraine that originated in the brain is caused by a type of spasm in the nerves, a retinal migraine is just a spasm of the retina or nerves associated with the eye.

It’s really not any different from a typical migraine, it just affects a different area.

rainbow
06-01-18, 13:22
A migraine that originated in the brain is caused by a type of spasm in the nerves, a retinal migraine is just a spasm of the retina or nerves associated with the eye.

It’s really not any different from a typical migraine, it just affects a different area.

Thanks for the explanation Gary, feeling a bit calmer now.

rainbow
17-02-18, 15:29
My anxiety is high right now, i've had another 2 migraines with aura this week. I keep reading things about visual migraines being linked to strokes or brain tumours. I know logically that they could be stress related or even due to dehydration, lack of food and lack of sleep but my HA mind of course is focussing on all the bad things.

How do I stop this escalating into another obsession?

jojo0328
17-02-18, 16:37
I used to get awful migraines. It was more than aura. One time, my vision was only a small hole, everything else around it was just dark. I thought I was going blind! That was terrifying. My husband found me crawling down the stairs to try to get to the bathroom (I also get violently ill when I have migraines) because I couldnt see. That was 6 years ago and im still around.

The real reason I wanted to reply was because after that incident I saw a very famous accupuncturist (i live in Asia, so theyre very good here), whose practice was focused on womanly issues. She almost completely cured my migraines. I still have a few, but I havent had one in months.

Migraines are caused by all sorts of things. Stress, food, hormones, smells, for me its weather and pressure changes. If they keep happening you should see an accupuncturist (a good one). As for the spiraling, just try to remind yourself these are HA thoughts and that is very unlikely. I've had headaches and migraines for years and I never thought for a second they were cancer. They just sucked. As far as I know, unless they are daily/all day and seriously affecting your life, you have nothing to worry on. To give some perspective, I had migraines 3 or 4 days a week for many years and it was nothing. A few here and there are very unlikely to be something more.

rainbow
17-02-18, 21:17
I used to get awful migraines. It was more than aura. One time, my vision was only a small hole, everything else around it was just dark. I thought I was going blind! That was terrifying. My husband found me crawling down the stairs to try to get to the bathroom (I also get violently ill when I have migraines) because I couldnt see. That was 6 years ago and im still around.

The real reason I wanted to reply was because after that incident I saw a very famous accupuncturist (i live in Asia, so theyre very good here), whose practice was focused on womanly issues. She almost completely cured my migraines. I still have a few, but I havent had one in months.

Migraines are caused by all sorts of things. Stress, food, hormones, smells, for me its weather and pressure changes. If they keep happening you should see an accupuncturist (a good one). As for the spiraling, just try to remind yourself these are HA thoughts and that is very unlikely. I've had headaches and migraines for years and I never thought for a second they were cancer. They just sucked. As far as I know, unless they are daily/all day and seriously affecting your life, you have nothing to worry on. To give some perspective, I had migraines 3 or 4 days a week for many years and it was nothing. A few here and there are very unlikely to be something more.

Thanks for the reply.

When I had my first one years ago it didn't really stress me too much but because i've had these ones close together its kinda freaked me out. Is it possible to have visual migraines sometimes and non visual ones too. I have had some really bad headaches over the years that have lingered for a day or so.

Did you have frequent migraines?

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Anyone else experience this?

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Surely there must be other migraine sufferers on here?

Carys
17-02-18, 21:48
Hiyer....me me me. Well, not any more.....but started with awful migraines as a young teenager. ALWAYS had my eyesight go first with all of them, sparkling, half of things missing, flashing/zig zags and well, its kind of hard to explain but you get the idea. My eyesight would then return and I then went onto severe headache and vomiting, the usual classic migraine pattern.

When I reached my 30s the migraine in this pattern stopped. HOWEVER I still have ocular migraines, that never progress to full migraine and just affect my vision, so I no longer get headaches and vomiting. I can have times where my eyesight will come and go like this over several hours.

My daughter also started migraines at a similar age as I did, same as my mother did.

melfish
17-02-18, 23:30
Hiyer....me me me. Well, not any more.....but started with awful migraines as a young teenager. ALWAYS had my eyesight go first with all of them, sparkling, half of things missing, flashing/zig zags and well, its kind of hard to explain but you get the idea. My eyesight would then return and I then went onto severe headache and vomiting, the usual classic migraine pattern.

When I reached my 30s the migraine in this pattern stopped. HOWEVER I still have ocular migraines, that never progress to full migraine and just affect my vision, so I no longer get headaches and vomiting. I can have times where my eyesight will come and go like this over several hours.

My daughter also started migraines at a similar age as I did, same as my mother did.

Me too! Exactly the same pattern (apart from the vomiting, I never had that). I stopped getting headaches with the aura about 20 years ago, but with my last migraine the visuals kept resolving then starting again over a period of about three or hours hours. That was the first time that had happened, and was a bit unnerving. Glad to read that you've experienced a similar evolution ....

Sparky16
18-02-18, 00:48
My sister has had the same experience - she had classic migraines when she was younger, and now only gets the ocular type. Me, I've only ever had the ocular type. They've always corresponded to periods of high stress for me. I remember I got the first one when I was about 13, one day at school. These silvery areas blocked out about half my vision for about 20 minutes. I was too scared to even tell the teacher. I've had arcs and yellow transparent spots as well. Thank goodness they don't seem to happen much anymore. There's got to be some upside to getting older, right?

melfish
18-02-18, 01:08
I was about 13 too. I still remember it so clearly, the terror of it. I'd been outside in the summer heat, jumping on the trampoline. I came in, and after my eyes adjusted, there was the scintillating scotoma!I couldn't see my mother's face in its entirety, or the words on a page. I was TERRIFIED it would never go away ...