PDA

View Full Version : Finger swelling & pain

itiswhatitis
04-01-18, 22:11
About a month ago I posted here about my finger swelling a bit. I managed to feel less anxious shortly after, and while my finger never went back as small as the one on the opposite hand, the swelling went down a little and there was no more pain/tenderness. I assumed that it had swollen because the day before I'd trapped my finger nails in the fridge door.
Today however, I've noticed it's swelled up more again and it's hurting a bit.

I've attached an image to show where the swelling and pain are. (The image isn't my hand, just an image from the internet. The red circle is where my finger is swollen and mostly painful/feels weird) The swelling is also really mainly on that side of the finger too, the other side of my joint (?) is normal sized.

What could be causing this? Especially since it was ok for a while but has come back. This morning when I woke up, the arm of the finger that's affected was completely numb, but I think I'd slept on it and after a few minutes the feeling came back. I don't know if that's related.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/7e79912980b77df5b9b092dd898f9ddc/tumblr_p21xkhSG2F1tzsz9fo1_540.png

melfish
04-01-18, 23:11
I have this exact same thing int he exact same place. It HURTS. If you find out what it is, please let me know :)

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

I've looked online for a photo for ages and that's the closest image I've seen. That tendon thing over the joint is what hurts, but I can't figure out what it is anatomically

itiswhatitis
04-01-18, 23:27
I have this exact same thing int he exact same place. It HURTS. If you find out what it is, please let me know :)

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

I've looked online for a photo for ages and that's the closest image I've seen. That tendon thing over the joint is what hurts, but I can't figure out what it is anatomically

I will let you know if I find out. Also, which image are you refering to? The one in my post? Honestly, I just used an image I found of a finger randomly, although I have to agree that it looks similar, except the swelling is a bit bigger on mine.

It's interesting that you have it too. Maybe it's something to do with the cold weather?

melfish
05-01-18, 05:47
Yes, mine is bigger too, but in the photo you can see the exact part that's inflamed. I think it's called the extensor tendon. I don't think mine has to do with the weather. It's not very cold here where I live and it started months ago. I think mine is either from keyboard use or maybe weight lifting. I don't know. But the joint at the base of my thumb is sore too

lofwyr
05-01-18, 06:18
Tendonitis, I would suspect. I get it all over, fingers, elbows and shoulders especially.

itiswhatitis
06-01-18, 01:16
Yes, mine is bigger too, but in the photo you can see the exact part that's inflamed. I think it's called the extensor tendon. I don't think mine has to do with the weather. It's not very cold here where I live and it started months ago. I think mine is either from keyboard use or maybe weight lifting. I don't know. But the joint at the base of my thumb is sore too

I use the keyboard a lot too, and the mouse of course, and it’s the hand that uses the mouse that’s affected. I also play computer games and use a controller a lot so maybe that has something to do with it.

@lofwyr That does sound like a possibility. Do you know of any websites with info on it that would be “safe” to view? I’m kind of nervous about googling myself in case I end up reading something that would make me anxious. As in anything related so a serious illness or something deadly.

itiswhatitis
09-01-18, 16:10
I went to the doctor today and she diagnosed me with “chilblains”.

melfish
09-01-18, 16:13
Interesting. Mine is definitely not a chill blain.

itiswhatitis
12-01-18, 17:45

I can definitely see I have a chilblain on that finger, however it's apart from the middle of the finger swelling. I don't know if it's my anxiety and doubt or not but I feel like the actual swelled bit isn't chilblain.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Is your swelling still there? Mine's been for over a month now and apparently chilblaine only last a couple of weeks, so..

melfish
12-01-18, 18:05
Yes, it's still there. And the closest thing I can find to an explanation, short of RA, is dorsal dupuytren nodules. I don't have dupuytren's on the palm side, but you can get these nodules in isolation. The reason I don't think I have RA is that I've had this knuckle thing on various fingers for more than 25 years, and I was tested for RA in the beginning. No other symptoms suggestion RA have emerged in the intervening years either.

itiswhatitis
13-01-18, 16:28
Yes, it's still there. And the closest thing I can find to an explanation, short of RA, is dorsal dupuytren nodules. I don't have dupuytren's on the palm side, but you can get these nodules in isolation. The reason I don't think I have RA is that I've had this knuckle thing on various fingers for more than 25 years, and I was tested for RA in the beginning. No other symptoms suggestion RA have emerged in the intervening years either.

That's interesting, I'd not heard of that before. I looked it up and I don't think it's the same as my swelling, but I could be wrong. When I was at the doctor I was actually seen by 2 doctors, the first one was inexperienced and asked a senior to check me. The senior is the one who diagnosed me with chilblains, but the inexperienced one had suggested "Raynaud's Phenomenon". The senior doctor said it was chilblains but I did some reading on Raynaud's and it did sound a bit like my experience. Like, Raynaud's causes your hands to go blue because of bad circularion and I've had that for as long as I can remember in winter. I'm not sure if it's what you have but maybe check it out?
Also I was googling yesterday because I was anxious and on one of the articles I read it said something along the lines of "exercise can cause finger swelling although scientists aren't sure of the reason" so that might be something to do with yours?

I'm 23 so I'm not sure if I have arthritis although I guess it's possible. The doctors told me if it gets worse or doesn't go away in a few weeks I should go back so I guess I'll just wait and see. If yours is the same in a few weeks, maybe mention it to your doctor too?

melfish
13-01-18, 19:41
Yes, it's been happening for years for me. I've casually mentioned it to a few doctors when I've been there for other things, but no-one has been very concerned. I have my yearly derm appt coming up, so may mention it then. I do have the beginnings of Raynaud's too, so it may be related somehow