PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else been worried about the romaine lettuce e.coli outbreak?

scaredpt
05-01-18, 18:39
Romaine lettuce has been linked to e.coli in the US and Canada and I'm reallyyy scared now. I haven't eaten it lately but I've def eaten other veggies, and now I'm kind of worrying that no food is safe.

Toronto girl
05-01-18, 19:09
I am absolutely not worried at all. Don’t eat romaine until it’s been cleared and as for other veggies, they haven’t been listed as a concern. Also, boiling or heating veggies kill e.coli as far as I know. I never give it a second thought.

Fishmanpa
05-01-18, 19:22
Ahhh... if they only grew Rogaine Lettuce :D

Positive thoughts

Careful1
05-01-18, 20:03
Just make sure to wash it good, like you do with all other fruits and veggies. I eat tons of Romaine lettuce, its my favorite, not gonna stop...

budgie1979
06-01-18, 02:48
Yes, I saw the news yesterday and thought I was “safe” having not eaten Romaine in at least a week. Then we went out to dinner tonight and our appetizers were served over a few romaine leaves used as garnish, which I didn’t notice until after I had eaten from both plates. I’m trying to tell myself that the chances are remote that those few leaves have contamination, but of course my brain just keeps going. Not sure why restaurants are still serving it at all. The woman at the table behind me was happily munching away at a Caesar salad! :unsure:

MyNameIsTerry
06-01-18, 02:53
Yes, I saw the news yesterday and thought I was “safe” having not eaten Romaine in at least a week. Then we went out to dinner tonight and our appetizers were served over a few romaine leaves used as garnish, which I didn’t notice until after I had eaten from both plates. I’m trying to tell myself that the chances are remote that those few leaves have contamination, but of course my brain just keeps going. Not sure why restaurants are still serving it at all. The woman at the table behind me was happily munching away at a Caesar salad! :unsure:

I think the thing to remember is that food safety standards protect us from outbreaks all the time. Pretty much anything from any food outlet could make you ill if they didn't follow the laws in place.