PDA

View Full Version : Constant sleepiness

braveinfiction
06-01-18, 05:46
So I've got a pretty odd sleeping schedule atm. I've been going to sleep around mid-day and sleeping 'til 8-9. The first hour or so I'm fine, but after that, I crash and feel tired like I haven't slept in awhile. I have a lot of health anxiety around my heart going back to May and I have an appointment with caridologist on Wednesday. I've had tests that have cleared me from a lot over the last couple of months, but symptoms always pop up, one after the other and this sense of tiredness is contributing to it. I don't really do much. I sleep, wake-up and then spend the night online trying to distract myself from intrusive thoughts and then go back to sleep again.

Chris 614
06-01-18, 06:58
Are you associating being tired with heart issues? It's my understanding that extreme fatigue can be present, but you don't describe that. Extreme fatigue, like you can't walk across the room or get out of bed. You're basically sleeping 8-9 hours and then staying up all night on the computer? have you tried doing anything more productive? I'm not a doctor, but are you experiencing any depression? You're spending your waking hours anxious and trying to distract yourself? No offense, but that sounds stressful, exhausting, and boring. Is there anything you can do that makes you happy? Something you enjoy and look forward to?

braveinfiction
06-01-18, 07:01
Essentially, no. I am about to start a new job so maybe that will help. I got laid off from my old one back in September. I don't get anymore exhausted doing anything as far as I can tell. I'm just sluggish all the time and it's hard to be motivated to do anything including things I used to enjoy because I feel so sluggish, like I could always go to sleep if I wanted, but the intensity is different at different times. Basically, I'm on the computer, watching videos, sleeping a few hours here and there. Then I finally sleep eight hours and it's back to being tired after being up for a bit. My anxiety has led to some depression-like symptoms if I'm honest.

Careful1
06-01-18, 07:21
Could you maybe be suffering from depression??

poppy77
06-01-18, 09:20
Like Careful has stated, anxiety and depression can make you feel tired and sluggish, like you can't do anything or cope with everyday tasks. Also you say you sleep from midday until nightime, well your system is out of whack. You are sleeping during the day when you should be out getting some sunlight - this is why in winter, a lot of people in the northern hemisphere get a bit down anyway (as they are deprived of as much natural sunlight and UVs). We need these to help with certain vitamin absorption, hence low moods when we don't get them. Plus, health visitors advise us to give kids under a certain age vitamin supplements to combat this.

Try to adjust your sleeping pattern. It will be hard at first. A bit like jet lag. But do not sleep during the day, power through, go for a walk outside, go shopping, read a book. Then go to bed at a reasonable time. Take a multi vitamin. If sleep is still a problem, see the doctor for some suggestions.

swajj
06-01-18, 09:34
When I had HA I discussed my constant tiredness and fogginess with my psychiatrist. He said he wasn’t surprised to hear about it because I was in a state of torture 24/7 due to my high anxiety levels. This will pass once you start getting your anxiety under control.

braveinfiction
06-01-18, 10:09
Like Careful has stated, anxiety and depression can make you feel tired and sluggish, like you can't do anything or cope with everyday tasks. Also you say you sleep from midday until nightime, well your system is out of whack. You are sleeping during the day when you should be out getting some sunlight - this is why in winter, a lot of people in the northern hemisphere get a bit down anyway (as they are deprived of as much natural sunlight and UVs). We need these to help with certain vitamin absorption, hence low moods when we don't get them. Plus, health visitors advise us to give kids under a certain age vitamin supplements to combat this.

Try to adjust your sleeping pattern. It will be hard at first. A bit like jet lag. But do not sleep during the day, power through, go for a walk outside, go shopping, read a book. Then go to bed at a reasonable time. Take a multi vitamin. If sleep is still a problem, see the doctor for some suggestions.

Okay, just woke-up from a 1 hour nap. As much anxiety not going to sleep when I have been will cause me (because I also have a lot of anxiety about something happening to me at night) I will probably just bite the bullet for a lack of better terms today and just stay up as long as I can and then take some ativan and go to sleep tonight. I keep feeling like something is going to happen to me before I can make it to my cardiologist appointment, but I've managed to not go back to the hospital so far since the last trip which netted this appointment back before Christmas. I really, *really* don't wanna go back and go through that exhausting, anxiety tiring process again.

Chris 614
06-01-18, 11:47
I'm curious, how old are you? You've had tests clearing you of any heart issues? It really sounds like you're experiencing some depression. Sleeping more is one of the symptoms. But anxiety can really make you tired too. I'm sure starting a new job will help. At the very least it will get you out of your own head and switch your focus.

braveinfiction
06-01-18, 12:21
I'm curious, how old are you? You've had tests clearing you of any heart issues? It really sounds like you're experiencing some depression. Sleeping more is one of the symptoms. But anxiety can really make you tired too. I'm sure starting a new job will help. At the very least it will get you out of your own head and switch your focus.

26. I've had only ECG and chest x-ray, but probably close to 10 of them each (I know!). Expect more with the cardiologist. I talked to a crisis line a moment ago and the woman on there was very nice; I told her how unless I take benzos before sleeping, I often am waking up, shakey and electrified, I just attributed that to anxiety as well, but she said I should tell my cardiologist about that as well (which I already intended to) and he might recommend a sleep study as well. Until then, I guess all I can do is move on. I got the job coming back so I need to flip my schedule anyway, which that lady kept reiterating. So I'll probably go to sleep even later today, which will be difficult because I'm already tired enough even after eight hours, let alone that long...everything makes me anxious that it's going to negatively affect my heart and hurt me. It's honestly exhausting, but I've made it since the 12th from going to the ER and I'd really like to make it to my cardiologist appointment without doing that again, but this new symptom is challenging me because it feels so wrong to be sleepy after sleeping 6-8 hours. I'm just so sick of being scared of dying and that preventing me from living.

poppy77
06-01-18, 19:47
Well done Brave for powering through!

Have a nice warm drink and bath before your bed. Try to relax, maybe watch a film or read a book. I hope you get a good sleep tonight. Well done for tackling it head on. At least, if you try this and it still doesn't work, you can report back at your appointment, maybe get some advice or meds. Here's hoping that a combination of a better sleep routine and the new job helps lift your mood and energy levels.

braveinfiction
07-01-18, 08:19
Well, I got a great surprise yesterday and the person from my job called for my orientation. I napped for 3 hours and went and got everything set up and I should start training this week unless my appointment interferes. Came home and went to sleep around 6 something, just woke up. It's hard to say if the sleepiness it still around cause it's not uncommon to be a bit sluggish when you first wake up and I literally just have. The truth is whether or not it comes back today or not, there is nothing I can do about it except power through further. Even if there is something wrong with me, worrying about it constantly is not going to help, best to keep regular sleep hours and try to do things that I enjoy in the meantime as difficult as that is with my mind trying to spiral into negativity.