PDA

View Full Version : Annual cough

zummerset
06-01-18, 10:44
Hi, hoping you can offer me some reassurance and stop my propensity for thinking negatively.

For the last few years I get a cold every year and every year it ends up on my chest. A right rattling and gurgling affair it is too. Ex smoker that will still have a puff occasionally but by no means heavy or regular (once or twice a month socially....but stopping that too soon). Cough never lasts more than a week or so and I only cough up the usual gunk. As a point of fact I didn't have the cough last year!

Couple of questions, is it normal to have a heavy cold end up on your chest like that yearly. I am very rarely given Antibiotics and my own GP (if I bother him) generally tells me to use a vapour bath and ride it out.

Second question, I went to see a different GP this time (mine wasnt available) who has given me Antibiotics and has suggested a chest xray in 6 weeks. He did point out he wasn't looking for anything sinister but equally didn't exactly tell me what he was?

I'm not really prone to worrying too much but I am a little confused and wonder if he is being a bit over thorough and why? Cough has nearly gone now and I am feeling much better.

Please be gentle as I don't want anything else to worry about ;)

Thanks...

venusbluejeans
06-01-18, 12:01
3 things....

1. it is winter..... there are an awful lot of coughs and colds around at this time of year and that is every year. this year there seems to be more and there is the 'aussie flu' sweeping in (which you haven't got you are feeling better now). so yep completely normal.

2. different doctors, different doctors surgeries have different antibiotic protocols... some give them out if there is any sign of infection some have the wait and see approach.

3. I first of all read your thread title as 'anal cough' ..... sorry caused a bit of humour for me when I first got up lol

zummerset
06-01-18, 12:20
Thanks....all true of course! :)

But an x ray.....really???

abh27
06-01-18, 19:50
I get this every year. I am more prone to having colds go to my chest. I would only be concerned if you were having this type of cough year round and not after a cold. Some doctors feel like they have to give patients something or else they will get upset so they offer antibiotics when not needed, or offer test if they sense you are anxious.

zummerset
06-01-18, 21:02
Thanks, that's interesting....never thought of it like that. The Antibiotics are a REALLY low dose too.

goodman
06-01-18, 22:54
If he has prescribed them take them... will knock any thing out in case it comes back.... and the Aussie flu came from Asia! Dont blame us lol...