PDA

View Full Version : Back pain causing anxiety

snowflake293
06-01-18, 15:59
Hi

I have had chronic back pain for over 10 years. The only 'tests' I have had are x-rays which show slight scoliosis and spinal stenosis. My Dad has degenerating discs and now has 4 herniated discs and is on a lot of pain.

A few days ago my back 'went' and the pain is getting worse. The pain started in my lower back but now radiates to my hips and slightly down my legs. The pain is worse when sitting up, if I slouch on the sofa or lie down it isn't so bad. I am ok to walk.

Bending and getting up from being sat down is difficult, putting socks/shoes on is difficult too.

I am hoping this eases. I am taking Ibuprofen and have some Voltarol emugel and some heat patches which help a little. I have some strong co-codamol (30mg codeine in it) but it makes me feel sick so only take it when desperate! Also it is addictive.

Anyway, the pain is causing me to feel so anxious. I have had it before, and I know it stablises after a week or so and I feel ok again. BUT... I worry about the 'deeper cause' as I have never had an MRI or anything.

I'd like an MRI but I am scared of what they would find (especially c-word) if you have an MRI of your back does it show up other organs too? I would be scared of them finding other stuff wrong with me!

Usually I manage my back problems well (regular exercise, physio exercises I do at home, massage etc) but lately I have been off sick due to a mental breakdown so have been sat down more. Perhaps its that which has caused my back to seize up?

I am going out of my mind with worry that there is a sinister cause to the pain... and even if it isn't sinister, I worry about it becoming progressively worse like my Dads is :(

countrygirl
06-01-18, 16:46
I have really bad spinal discs with one in neck and one at base of spine totally prolapsed. I have had about 20 mri scans over the years. Mri is useful for ruling out very serious causes and for showing if you need imnediate surgery because spinal cord is involved. Goid for showing state of discs but people can have normal scans and be ib agony and vice versa so drs use them to rule out the really serious stuff. If you havent had one then it could be useful.
Yes they can show up other problems. I know 3 people whose kidney cancer was discovered on lumbar mri and 1 persons pancreatic cancer. All are fine as it was picked up very early long before any symptoms

snowflake293
06-01-18, 17:29
I have really bad spinal discs with one in neck and one at base of spine totally prolapsed. I have had about 20 mri scans over the years. Mri is useful for ruling out very serious causes and for showing if you need imnediate surgery because spinal cord is involved. Goid for showing state of discs but people can have normal scans and be ib agony and vice versa so drs use them to rule out the really serious stuff. If you havent had one then it could be useful.
Yes they can show up other problems. I know 3 people whose kidney cancer was discovered on lumbar mri and 1 persons pancreatic cancer. All are fine as it was picked up very early long before any symptoms

You know 3 people who found out they had kidney cancer? Are they all ok now? That is terrifying. I am only 33, I really hope I don't have anything like that. I am so frightened! Drs have never suggested an MRI, whenever I go about back pain they just say painkillers and physio. I am so, so scared of having something wrong. It is literally all I think about at the moment. I am scared of having to have any kind of test or operation too. I hate this :(

That must have been awful for the people you knew who had lumbar scans and found out they had cancer! xxx