PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre panic attack trigger

Iceman338
07-01-18, 02:18
Hello everyone!

I get panic attacks in certain social situations. I lose my train of thought and get lightheadedness with a racing heartbeat and closed throat.

Now the triggers: when people/strangers ask me questions about what I do for a living, my educational background. It's worse when I am in my hometown area. If it's someone I am super comfortable with, I am usually fine (younger person, real old person, etc.) But if not, I get a full-fledged panic attack and feel that I need to run. If I am with my parents, it's even a sure thing. I fear the fear: the embarrassment. It's so illogical. I'm not a shy person at all. If I am away from my home away, it sometimes happen that I don't have a panic attack. It's so bizarre how the mind works.

I also get panicky in job interviews when asked questions not prepared for. And the other thing: if I have to tell a story and can't find the right word that suits me, I get a panic attacl.

I have tried meditation, herbs, etc, but to no avail (maybe a little bit, it helped?) I finally decided to get therapy next week for the first time. I sure hope I will finally get cured. I can't go on like this anymore. The fear of the fear - the embarrassment. Terrible. The other person doesn't know what's going on. They think they did something wrong. When you panic all of a sudden in a social situation, you can't "breathe" through it. You're on the spot. No time to calm down and prepare.

Wish me the best!:) I really need it.