PDA

View Full Version : Went for an ultrasound today...

LuSmith
08-01-18, 18:33
I actually went for an US on my gallbladder as I have a polyp that's been there for 2 years and grew over the last year. That part was unremarkable because nothing had changed but then he did an ultrasound of my kidneys. I guess I didn't expect it but when I was leaving I asked if everything was okay with the kidneys, and he stalled for a moment about to talk and then said that he had to look at the images properly beforehand and to get results from my doctor. This obviously shot up my anxiety tenfold (it's my fault really, I shouldn't have asked lmao) and now I'm wondering whether there was something wrong.

Is it normal for them to do an ultrasound of the kidneys when doing other abdominal ultrasounds?? I haven't had a blood test on my kidneys in a while so obviously am paranoid in case something came up since then..

(I suffer from IC and bladder problems, so obviously this sets off alarm bells in my head)

Is it possible he just didn't wanna say it was normal in case he studied it and found something and then it would be bad for him to have said it was normal? He said he was mainly focused on the gallbladder but when he stalled it made me panic a bit that he was holding something back from me adjasfk

I know nobody here is a doctor and can't really diagnose me but maybe someone can ease my mind as the next ten days is gonna be hellish hah.

JonS86
08-01-18, 18:44
I would imagine he’s just about to say it’s ok then he’s probably remembered that he can’t give results and that it has to go via a doctor

O_O
08-01-18, 18:44
I can see why that would set an HA sufferer off, and it's hard to say whether he did see something he wanted to review further or if you just threw him with your question.

It could easily be the latter. A few years ago, when my health anxiety wasn't too bad, I had a bladder ultrasound because I kept getting cystitis. I asked the sonographer if she could see anything bad she just said "I can't really say until it's been reviewed." I asked why and she literally said, "well, I wouldn't want to scare you unnecessarily."

Even in retrospect that sounds to me like she could DEFINITELY see something bad. But there was nothing. I got the results a few days later and there was nothing wrong at all.

So it just goes to show that you can read into what people say and their body language much too much. Of course, I can't say for sure that he didn't see anything worrying. But there's no real reason to think he did from what he said. I'm afraid you'll just have to play the waiting game now!

Incidentally, I managed to get over my cystitis by taking a supplement called Waterfall D Mannose.