PDA

View Full Version : Psychogenic feeling of something in my throat.

Xex123
08-01-18, 23:06
I was in hospital a lot with tonsillitis. At some point I freaked myself out that I may have cancer and I started to get this odd feeling in my throat. But it never stayed in the same place and was different every day. Then I calmed down and it went away. I went in for the surgery to have them out and I got so nervous before I went in that I bottled out of the surgery. Now this has come back again. I am sure this is in my mind. It’s very annoying. It’s not there when I’m distracted. Then out the blue it will come back when I’m on my own. Sometimes it feels like there is something in my throat. Somethings it feels like my tonsil. Sometimes it feels like my uvula is about 3 inches long. The other day the phantom thing sat at the base of my tongue on the left side. It’s driving me nuts and I don’t know what to do! I’ve tried to think myself out of it but now I’m worried that if I have the surgery as planned it still won’t go away. Any advice? The mind is a powerful thing!

It’s not pain (occasionally it will go in my ear and that will ache or my throat will ache a bit. But that’s only when I’m really focused on it) it feels like someone is putting their finger on it. So annoying!

Speranza
08-01-18, 23:57
This is a known symptom of anxiety. You are doing really well (most of the time!) at helpful self-talk, and I'd advise you to continue with it.

Hold onto the fact that you are SURE THIS IS IN YOUR MIND.

If it isn't there when you are distracted, the answer is to distract yourself. It sounds to me as though you have already fought and won most of this battle. Well done!

Have they recommended the tonsillectomy? They don't do that with adults unless they really feel it would be beneficial. I had horrendous tonsillitis a few times and they still weren't sure whether to recommend it, and in the end it never happened. If your GP is aware of the level of stress this is causing you, yet still thinks it would be good to go ahead, I would have the surgery - and don't Google it, just let them guide you.

Catherine S
09-01-18, 01:07
The fact that you say 'this Phanthom thing' means you are fully aware that you are doing this to yourself. Because you also say you don't feel it when distracted. It's absolutely classic anxiety...health anxiety to be precise, and a direct result of your fear.

You ask what you can do to make this symptom disappear? I'd say lose the fear of it and it will eventually go away. Having the op would both treat your real physical problem and as a result, would also stop the anxiety. And yes, the mind is indeed a powerful thing...it makes us who we are and how we perceive life.

Best wishes x