PDA

View Full Version : Can't calm down :(

gk
09-01-18, 22:25
Hey everyone! I'm fairly new to this group but I think it may be able to help me a bit with my health anxiety.

So for the past few days I've had some right abdominal pain, so I went to ER last night to make sure it wasn't serious. Doctor said I was fine, got me an pelvic ultrasound for today. I just came back from that. The doctor I saw after my ultrasound said I seemed extremely healthy and I likely don't have acute appendicitis (which I am absolutely terrified of). I thought it could've been ovarian cysts, but that was ruled out too.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this kind of pain/discomfort, and had it turn out to be OK. I just can't calm myself down and despite blood work, 2 urine samples, an ultrasound, and THREE DOCTORS telling me I am fine, I'm still freaking out thinking it's appendicitis. It's really bothering me and affecting my everyday life and my relationships.

Or, does anyone have any tips on how to cope with this? How can I just accept the diagnosis that I am fine and move on with my life?

Thanks in advance :)

poppy77
09-01-18, 22:31
Anxiety is probably making things feel a lot worse. I know, difficult to stop! You could have had a bit of indigestion/acid reflux or IBS causing a bit of discomfort. When you fixate on the symptoms they will appear worse and more noticeable.

The doctors have given you a few tests and an ultrasound. You are fine. Try to trust them. Maybe you should speak to them about your health anxiety. They may have some suggestions for calming down. Or look at some of the free CBT material on this forum.

Mindprison
09-01-18, 23:54
Appendicitis becomes excruciating within hours of the dull pain starting, so it's not that.

It's more likely that you're suffering some IBS or reflux that is being made worse by worrying about it.

Careful1
10-01-18, 00:09
There is no way it was caused by appendicitis because once that starts it doesnt stop and gets increasingly worse over the span of mere hours...

Abdominal pain can be caused by so many mostly benign things and if your tests have came back clear and your doctors say you are fine then its nothing to worry yourself over..

Take comfort in the facts and know that when we focus on symptoms it makes things seem so much worse then they actually are...