PDA

View Full Version : Scared out my wits hallucination

Chlobo
09-01-18, 23:17
I just had what I think was a hallucination. I went to make a milkshake and the milk bottle basically pulsated three times. The kettle was boiling at the time and i thought it may be the steam but I boiled it again to make sure and it didn’t happen again. I’m scared out my wits please anyone help me. Brain tumor side effect is this. Please help me. I’m on 20mg of Citalopram

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

The Top stretched up it was bizzare

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

Anyone please?

ServerError
09-01-18, 23:39
Let's be rational here for a second. You're an anxious person, so your perceptions are likely to be skewed and you might experience something like this and jump to a terrifying conclusion.

This wasn't a hallucination.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 04:29
What could it of possibly been ? 😞

---------- Post added at 04:29 ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 ----------

The milk bottle genuinely moved in a strange way, That I’m sure was t real. It didn’t look real, almost like it was stretching upwards. That’s seeing something that isn’t there

MyNameIsTerry
10-01-18, 04:49
Well its still there but distorted in some way. So, could it be more a visual effect issue than a hallucination?

Like how we can see spots when they aren't actually there but it's not a hallucination.

Were you tired? Hallucinations can be experienced for many reasons, it's not just these things people tend to associate them with on here, such as depression or bereavement. Certain sleep stages cause hallucinations quite commonly.

If it's a one off, I would chalk it up to the wacky world of anxiety. If it keeps happening in some way, it can be investigated further.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 04:50
My eyes were tired but how is this not bad? It’s not normal 😞

MyNameIsTerry
10-01-18, 04:58
But it doesn't mean it has to be something bad.

If this were in two specific sleep stages then it would be completely normal because there are many recorded sleep phenomena. There are some very strange ones too where we even play out physical activities from earlier in the day, for instance. So, if this were upon waking or as you were drifting off to sleep, it would be a normal hallucination anyone could experience.

What I was wondering is whether it was something visual instead. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on visual oddities will be able to help here. There have been many visual anomalies explained on threads I've seen since being on here.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 05:01
I’m waiting for it to happen again �� I can’t cope with this, I can’t function with daily life when my anxiety gets this bad and I have three kids to look after and now I’m sure I have a neuro disease ��

---------- Post added at 05:01 ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 ----------

I was tired but I hadn’t been asleep or anything, I’d been watching the television

---------- Post added at 05:01 ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 ----------

I was close to going to the hospital

MyNameIsTerry
10-01-18, 05:06
It's not happened before and there is nothing to say it will ever again.

Try to catch the catastrophizing before it starts. There is no evidence of anything right now as so little has been considered. Remember, hallucinations can be a symptom of even depression, so not too far away on the mental health spectrum we are on.

There is certainly no evidence of any neuro disorder. Be wary of letting your anxiety try to associate it to other perceived symptoms that have had you worrying about neuro issues before (weren't you testing your fingers the other day?).

If you are struggling daily to cope have you consulted your GP for options of therapy, meds, etc?

Chlobo
10-01-18, 05:09
I’m not in any therapy at the moment, I’m just terrified.
If it happens again then I’m going to be very worried. I told my sister and my mum who both said they weren’t worried but I really am. My brother had a brain tumor a few years ago and it’s plagued me ever since, I’m constantly watching and waiting for symptoms

MyNameIsTerry
10-01-18, 05:34
I'm sorry to hear that, no wonder it's a prominent feature in your anxiety. It's interesting that your mum & sister aren't concerned given I'm sure anything suspicious happening that could sound anything like what your brother went through then they would surely be pushing for medical attention? That's something else to hang onto.

Something else to consider might be DP/DR. That tends to come at higher periods of anxiety, and it sounds like you are really struggling at this time, and it's not uncommon to perceive things slightly differently e.g. the ground might seem further away than it is, you can't focus on an object enough to understand it, vision seems like a tunnel, etc.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 07:30
I feel sick with worry
This could be the beginnings of my biggest fear coming true. They said what my brother had wasn’t hereditary but seeing it happen to him scared me so much. I’m going to the doctors today

wilky44
10-01-18, 07:52
Brain tumour symptoms, you have none. Trust me, I've seen it up close. And if your doctor says it's not hereditary, then that's the truth. I have visual disturbances all the time

Chlobo
10-01-18, 07:56
I’ve had sparkles and floaters before, but never an actual object distort. I’m not sure what I even saw now because my mind has gone to mush. My mum and my sister said if it was anything it wouldn’t stop, things would be moving all over the place. The fear has over taken me. I’m sure the doctor will send me to hospital

Annaboodle
10-01-18, 08:29
It was a glass bottle wasn't it? Asking because if it's a plastic container I've had them make weird noises and change shape/distort because of air trapped in them. This can happen as well if you've knocked the dial in your fridge and it's a bit cold and then the milk expands.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 11:16
It was plastic annaboodle but it was the top part that moved where you pour from

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

Scared put my brains �� doctors appointment st 2.15!

axolotl
10-01-18, 11:31
It was plastic annaboodle but it was the top part that moved where you pour from

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

Scared put my brains �� doctors appointment st 2.15!

Try and talk about your fear about this and your anxiety, not just see the visit as a reassurance exercise you don't have a brain tumour.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 14:37
Just waiting at the doctors now :weep: really not coping withthis

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

Update. Saw the GP she said she isn’t concerned about what I saw. She said they’re more concerned about seeing things that aren’t there or auditory hallucinations. She’s said to book an eye test for my own peace of mind so I’ve got one booked for tomorrow. Still very anxious about the eye test as convinced they will find something bad at the back of my eyes like my optic nerve being inflamed or a tumor. The doctor told me for my own peace of mind to book but unsure if she just wanted to pass of the job of giving me bad news to an eye doctor instead. :weep:

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

She asked me if my vision was okay and I said yes but now questioning if it actually is. Things look hazy and I have a headache around my eyes and forehead.

wilky44
10-01-18, 15:14
Really? Pass on the bad news? Is that really what you think? You have a diagnosis, now it's time to let go. Doctors won't pass you on for their own peace of mind - that's a ridiculous statement

axolotl
10-01-18, 16:21
unsure if she just wanted to pass of the job of giving me bad news to an eye doctor instead.

Sometimes people on this forum have a rather insulting and paranoid attitude to doctors. You know deep down that's a daft statement, come on.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 18:44
Yeah I admit that was a daft statement to make but I’m sort of in limbo waiting for something to happen again now... 😞:weep:

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:43 ----------

I keep staring at that damn bottle

wilky44
10-01-18, 18:54
Nothing else will happen, you have a diagnosis.

Chlobo
10-01-18, 19:14
But what if it does, I’m so worked up

wilky44
10-01-18, 19:28
What if it doesn't? You've convinced yourself you've something wrong, visited a qualified doctor, who gave you a diagnosis, and sent you on your way.

Do you really think they'd send you away without further tests, or recommend a referral, if they suspected anything wrong? Really?

Chlobo
11-01-18, 12:08
Eye appointment in 20 mins. I feel sick to my stomach

Annaboodle
11-01-18, 12:49
Eye appointment in 20 mins. I feel sick to my stomach

It's going to be fine. I hope you can accept the result though when you get it.

Chlobo
11-01-18, 20:33
All the tests my eye doctor did came back okay, she said my eyes are healthy. She checked the optic nerves in both eyes, dilated my eyes with drops so she could see all around the backs and sides of my eyes and into the deeper layers.
She did nerve ending tests and quite a few others.
All came back fine.

I feel better than I did BUT she said that if the visual disturbances keep happening then to go back to the doctor. I’m in limbo waiting for it to happen again because if it does then the rollercoaster starts again!
Also I just heard a knock at my door and I went to check it and no one was there. My partner said to me ‘are you hallucinating again’ what a stupid thing to say to someone who is anxious about their health. Now I’m feeling sick because I’m thinking I might be hearing things :weep:

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

My partner doesn’t live with me by the way, I live alone with my kids. I sent him a message to tell him I had a knock on the door and no one was there

Mindprison
11-01-18, 20:36
To be honest, eye tests and tests done by opticians are actually pretty conclusive. Any kind of pressure, growth or anything like that would be seen by changes in the eye, behind the eye and so on. When I first started getting my tension headaches, it was actually quite a relief to get the eye tests done since everything there came back healthy so I knew it was just me being anxious.

wilky44
11-01-18, 20:41
So 2 medical professionals have gave you the all clear and you still doubt them?

pulisa
11-01-18, 20:46
So 2 medical professionals have gave you the all clear and you still doubt them?

Sort of par for the course with HA..A shame but there's almost a desire to maintain the inner torment and doubt.

Chlobo
11-01-18, 20:51
I guess it wasn’t the all clear though. No one has seen inside my brain.

Fishmanpa
11-01-18, 20:52
Sort of par for the course with HA..A shame but there's almost a desire to maintain the inner torment and doubt.

Yep... a long history of it I'm afraid :weep:

Positive thoughts

wilky44
11-01-18, 21:02
And there we go. Doubting the professionals diagnosis

Chlobo
11-01-18, 22:16
Professional yeah but not always correct in some cases. I’m hoping I never see what I saw again. Because if I did I’m going to have a break down

Mindprison
11-01-18, 22:51
You're walking a dangerous path here. The minute you start doubting, as you correctly put it, professionals, the worse this spiral is going to be. You can't go through life thinking you're going to be one of these special cases.

Visual disturbances happen all the time even in people who don't have mental health problems. Our eyes deceive us sometimes and there's no explanation for it.

Some days my anxiety is that bad, I walk around with what looks like a permanent fog in my vision.

When I was 17, I went camping. I spent so long looking at a burning campfire that when I went home, I could see smoke coming off my bed and thought I was losing it. Turns out it's just one of those tricks of the mind.

Some things can't be explained, it doesn't mean you're crazy and it doesn't mean you have a brain tumour.

Fishmanpa
11-01-18, 23:04
When I was 17, I went camping. I spent so long looking at a burning campfire that when I went home, I could see smoke coming off my bed and thought I was losing it. Turns out it's just one of those tricks of the mind.

Some things can't be explained, it doesn't mean you're crazy and it doesn't mean you have a brain tumour.

I smiled at that as I... hmmmm... how shall I put this... When I was around 17-18 years old I did the same thing often as I love the outdoors. I also enjoyed the recreational use of certain substances that greatly enhanced the experience :winks: Some of the "tricks of the mind" were pretty intense!

Suffice it to say, things like that are happening to us all the time, we're just tuned out to it. Every once in a while one of those tricks of the mind will catch our attention and for most people, it would be like "that was weird" and at worst and they'd carry on with what they were doing. A HA sufferer grabs onto that with both hands! That's like an ice cream sundae for the dragon, and that's the case here IMO.

Positive thoughts

Mindprison
11-01-18, 23:12
I smiled at that as I... hmmmm... how shall I put this... When I was around 17-18 years old I did the same thing often as I love the outdoors. I also enjoyed the recreational use of certain substances that greatly enhanced the experience :winks: Some of the "tricks of the mind" were pretty intense!

Suffice it to say, things like that are happening to us all the time, we're just tuned out to it. Every once in a while one of those tricks of the mind will catch our attention and for most people, it would be like "that was weird" at worst and they'd carry on with what they were doing. A HA sufferer grabs onto that with both hands! That's like an ice cream sundae for the dragon, and that's the case here IMO.

Positive thoughts

This made me laugh, in my case large amounts of alcohol were involved, oh to be 17 again and think you know everything! My parents tried to stop me but no no, I was camping and that was the end of it. When I eventually have kids, i'll know what I put my parents through in my teens! :yesyes:

You're absolutely right though, when you think about it haven't events like this been happening since we were little? How many times as a child did you scream because you thought you saw monsters under your bed, or someone at the door. For years I maintained to my parents that there was a large man with an elvis hairdo standing in their doorway...it was a lamp with a jacket over it.

It's only when HA kicks in you start to obsess over it and think there's a problem, worrying about whether it's going to happen again.

------------

Another funny story just to lighten the mood, but it's also on topic.

My dad told me a story of when he was a child, he woke up to go to the toilet and screamed the place down because he said there was a viking in his bedroom. Turns out my grandfather came home from night shift and threw his coat over my dad's bike, the shape of the handlebars poking out from the jacket gave the illusion of a very short, very hunchbacked viking.

axolotl
11-01-18, 23:13
BUT she said that if the visual disturbances keep happening then to go back to the doctor.

"Come back if it gets worse" is doctor-speak for "goodbye".

MyNameIsTerry
12-01-18, 01:37
You're absolutely right though, when you think about it haven't events like this been happening since we were little? How many times as a child did you scream because you thought you saw monsters under your bed

Was it Moz the Monster? :winks:

Annaboodle
12-01-18, 08:10
"Come back if it gets worse" is doctor-speak for "goodbye".

Yes it is definitely just "goodbye". Unfortunately on here misinterpreting what doctors say, over-analysing their tone of voice and interpreting facial expressions (sometimes even micro-expressions - I've read posters saying, "I saw a flicker of concern cross his face"), and predicting behaviours that just don't happen is commonplace. I think that if you find that you're acting around medical professionals like you're a detective in a drama entirely of your own making it's time to get some help.

Chlobo
12-01-18, 08:11
I agree with seeing something and thinking it’s sometbing else for a moment and then realizing it’s just a heap of clothes or a jacket hanging over a chair giving the illusion of something like a person. But I saw a milk bottle bottle move in a way it couldn’t of.
I was standing in the kitchen this morning and the washing machine door was open, I stared at it and it looked like it was moving slightly, wobbling almost.
Eurgh

pulisa
12-01-18, 08:23
Sorry but you're not exactly helping yourself, are you? Why stare at a washing machine door? What do you expect will happen? Well whatever you thought would happen "did" and now you've got more ammunition for worry..

Chlobo
12-01-18, 08:36
I don’t know I guess I’m looking for it to happen again.
Also I don’t think the milk bottle was a trick of the mind. Cause I saw it move three times.