PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma

ariana95
09-01-18, 23:48
can't believe I'm posting about another health concern!!!! I must have been terrible in a past life.

Long story short, saw GP today as I noticed a black, very irregular mole with red edges on the back of my lower leg, not somewhere I'd normally look but I saw it whilst doing the "move your heel from ankle to knee" test for my neurological exam!! Safe to say I got the shock of my life. Anyway, I'm going for a biopsy soon and I'm hoping it's nothing but the doctor agreed that it was very scary looking so Im a bit worried. I've always wondered about little moles that look a bit odd and then forgot about them, but this one is exactly like the scary images you see on google :weep: enough to send me into a panic.

So, I was wondering if any of you lovely people have any stories about positive outcomes with melanoma? I'm at my wits end with my health concerns and I feel as though my body keeps letting me down! I'd just like some reassurance or I'm in for another sleepless night. I hope I've caught it early if it is something bad :(

Halle0587
10-01-18, 00:00
I had two removed that looked scary, the ended up displastic Nevis. They can turn, doesn't mean they will. Sometimes doctors leave them because unless they change they are okay.

Fishmanpa
10-01-18, 00:08
Sorry you're in scare mode again. There are TONS (thousands and thousands and thousands) of mole/melanoma threads here (several on the page now!) and if memory serves me right, 99.9% were nothing. I challenge you to find members that have it and are more than the a statistical odds of actually having it.

My wife went through this a couple of years ago. I was the one who actually noticed a mole on her leg and we had it looked at by our doctor. He sent us to a dermatologist that thought it was questionable enough to remove but wasn't really concerned. He was like.... "We'll call you if we find something but otherwise just look for a letter in the mail." A few days later, the letter came and all was well :)

Positive thoughts

ariana95
10-01-18, 00:18
I had two removed that looked scary, the ended up displastic Nevis. They can turn, doesn't mean they will. Sometimes doctors leave them because unless they change they are okay.

Thank you!! I'm hoping it's dysplastic nevus

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

Sorry you're in scare mode again. There are TONS (thousands and thousands and thousands) of mole/melanoma threads here (several on the page now!) and if memory serves me right, 99.9% were nothing. I challenge you to find members that have it and are more than the a statistical odds of actually having it.

My wife went through this a couple of years ago. I was the one who actually noticed a mole on her leg and we had it looked at by our doctor. He sent us to a dermatologist that thought it was questionable enough to remove but wasn't really concerned. He was like.... "We'll call you if we find something but otherwise just look for a letter in the mail." A few days later, the letter came and all was well :)

Positive thoughts

Thanks FMP, glad to hear your wife got the all-clear! I'm truly hoping its nothing, but hey ho even if it is, hopefully something can be done.

I wish I could leave scare-mode! I feel like my body is punishing me

swgrl09
10-01-18, 12:07
I can understand why you'd be nervous! For what it's worth, my father has had TONS of suspicious moles removed and zero have been cancerous. My husband has a lot of moles and I would say the majority fail the ABCD test but have all been cleared as normal. Some are even black and uneven. I am glad they are biopsying it so you will know for sure and have peace of mind.

nicole97
10-01-18, 18:35
Ariana - I feel your pain! I am forever having moles removed after having some comeback moderately to severely atypical and one came back "cannot rule out early evolving melanoma". I had one removed today at my 3-month check that was questionable, so of course I'm panicking now waiting on the biopsy. When do you go for yours?

Fishmanpa - always the voice of reason! Though, in your situation, or your wife's, I would go crazy waiting for a letter in the mail.

toddsmum
10-01-18, 22:19
Hi I posted about my experience in another thread but you might not have seen it.

I had a mole grow on the sole of my foot. Every article I read said that shouldnt happen and I was terrified. Went to the dermatologist who made a face and it should come right off. One week later after surgery comes back as a new mole related to a hormone imbalance.

ariana95
10-01-18, 22:59
I can understand why you'd be nervous! For what it's worth, my father has had TONS of suspicious moles removed and zero have been cancerous. My husband has a lot of moles and I would say the majority fail the ABCD test but have all been cleared as normal. Some are even black and uneven. I am glad they are biopsying it so you will know for sure and have peace of mind.

Thank you! Yes, I'm hoping it's benign, and even if it isn't, I've probably caught it early as my doctor said it's very small which is reassuring!

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

Ariana - I feel your pain! I am forever having moles removed after having some comeback moderately to severely atypical and one came back "cannot rule out early evolving melanoma". I had one removed today at my 3-month check that was questionable, so of course I'm panicking now waiting on the biopsy. When do you go for yours?

Fishmanpa - always the voice of reason! Though, in your situation, or your wife's, I would go crazy waiting for a letter in the mail.

Ah sorry about that, I hope it's all benign, and even if it isn't I'm sure it would have been stage 0 as you're so vigilant! I have no idea when my biopsy will be yet, just waiting for my referral forms then I have to make the appointment. It could be a while, hopefully she put it through as "urgent" because the wheels of the NHS turn very slowly!!

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Hi I posted about my experience in another thread but you might not have seen it.

I had a mole grow on the sole of my foot. Every article I read said that shouldnt happen and I was terrified. Went to the dermatologist who made a face and it should come right off. One week later after surgery comes back as a new mole related to a hormone imbalance.

Glad it was benign! Thank you that's very reassuring. I never go in the sun, I have the vitamin D deficiency to prove it, so it better be benign!! :roflmao:

Thelegend27
11-01-18, 05:33
My girlfriends stepmom had melanoma removed from her bicep, the good thing about melanoma and other skin cancers is that they have a very high cure rate, so seeing the doc about this is the best thing you can do, hopefully it's not melanoma but if it is it's not the end of the world just keep a positive attitude no matter what the diagnosis is.

ariana95
11-01-18, 12:34
My girlfriends stepmom had melanoma removed from her bicep, the good thing about melanoma and other skin cancers is that they have a very high cure rate, so seeing the doc about this is the best thing you can do, hopefully it's not melanoma but if it is it's not the end of the world just keep a positive attitude no matter what the diagnosis is.

Thank you!! Yes, I really am just hoping it's been caught early. I never ever go in the sun so I don't know how this has happened although I am very pale with blonde hair and blue eyes. Fingers crossed!!!