PDA

View Full Version : really need help - the flu scares me so bad

cofo
10-01-18, 12:19
i really am in a terrible panic about my familly getting the flu. im in the US and it's really rampant now. i have a 16 year old and it terrifies me so much. i do this every year. i am so freaked out about it that every time he sniffles or sneezes i'm convinced he is getting the flu. we were at a gathering last saturday, and i found out the next day someone there was diagnosed with the flu. she had not had the flu shot. me and my family did get the vaccine. but i understand its less effective this year than ever before.

my son started sneezing and sniffling last night. this morning, he has drainage in his throat and is congested. i'm hoping it's just a cold, but what if it's the flu!!!???

i can't live in this constant fear of getting it. i need to figure out how to get past the panic...
any help?

wilky44
10-01-18, 12:25
The flu, whilst not pleasant, isn't exactly life threatening. I'm not sure what your fear actually is?

utrocket09
10-01-18, 12:28
I had it last year and I live in the US. As long as someone is generally healthy, the flu is not a huge deal. If you have a weak immune system or have a baby is when there is often a higher risk.

axolotl
10-01-18, 12:31
but what if it's the flu!!!???

What if it is?

Flu's unpleasant but generally nothing to worry about.

cofo
10-01-18, 13:21
i know. i keep trying to just relax and know that i will go to the dr if necessary. i do have an immune disorder, chronic nutropenia. which basically means i have low white blood counts, chronically. my counts are usually 1.5, whereas a normal persons would be between 4 & 9. however, it is mild, not severe and knock on wood, has never caused me any problems, and i'm 52 years old. but, it's real, and it's always in the back of my mind. the good news is, any doctor is super proactive with me.
i just hate the anticipatory anxiety.

countrygirl
10-01-18, 18:36
There is a nasty flu in uk at present and i got it 3 weeks ago. Yes for 10 days i was very ill but i got better or almost better. I havent had proper flu for 15 years so was rather surprised when it got me!

Starjmom
10-01-18, 20:03
I never get a flu shot and considering that this vaccine has such a low effectiveness rate I wasn't going to get one. Starting to reconsider but yes, although unpleasant for healthy adults it should be no problem

cfcfan
10-01-18, 20:49
Flu is rampent over here in Ireland too but as long as you keep good hygiene you should avoid it.