PDA

View Full Version : diagnosed, I really have got things wrong.

Gillcm
10-01-18, 13:40
in past years I have had two heart attacks, but they never found out why.
The other day ( being familiar with the symptoms) I had a swathe of pain around my left ribs. And as if happens for some weeks I have had upper right arm ache, which I had just thought was a muscle, then when the pain started which It thought was going to be a heart attack but it passed off.
I made an appointment with a cardiologist and saw him in a couple of days after. He was vert thorough, and scanned my aorta and found I have a regurgitating one which means the blood exits the heart before the heart can get enough oxygen out of it leading to a lot of symptoms. Now I am to see the doc and mine is mild to medium but any worse which it is likely to become and its open heart surgery do I am not a happy bunny as they say.

Fishmanpa
10-01-18, 15:45
Sorry to hear that. I also have real heart issues too. Two heart attacks, bypass, stents and angina (Stage IV cancer survivor too!). Meds to control BP and clotting etc., proper diet and exercise along with regular visits to the cardiologist. You know the drill. I don't think about it but when I get the chest pains from angina, that 10 minutes or so until the nitro kicks in is a bit nerve-raking.

I know it sucks but you're being treated and while a PITA (or chest ;) ), it's certainly treatable. They can do amazing things when treating heart issues. Try not to let it get to you.

Positive thoughts

lofwyr
10-01-18, 15:47
I am there with you, having heart issues. The thing is, I am looking at open heart for a bicuspid aortic valve and an aneurysm repair. I did a lot of research, and honestly, the surgery doesn't scare me at all. It is not a matter of if I will need it, but when.

In the meantime, I have found a great surgeon who monitors my condition annually now (was twice a year). These people do this every single day. Sometimes they do 3 or 4 operations a day. It is routine as can be these days, and while every surgery has some risks, this is not the danger it used to be. Less than 2% of open heart patients have serious complications on average.

Try not to fear what you don't have to do yet, either. Hang in there!