PDA

View Full Version : Is darker colored stool normal?

Cyrus
10-01-18, 17:07
Nerves are kind of on edge after having a decently long lasting bout of constipation. Saw the doctor, got an X-Ray done and they confirmed it was just typical constipation.

I was doing better for 3-4 days, and then I got hit with really sudden diarrhea. After that, I noticed when I have a bowel movement my stool is a much darker color...not quite black, but very dark brown. There's also some mucus in the stool too, something I've never had before. My only other symptoms currently are a loss of appetite and a lot of gas.

I can't think of anything I possibly ate to cause it to look so dark. Is this normal? I'm only 18 with no history of stomach issues so I know I'm probably worrying over nothing, but I still could use some reassurance.

Mindprison
10-01-18, 17:18
If it's not black its not a problem. Even if it was often its an isolated incident caused by food or high iron levels. Very small things can cause a change in colour.

The mucus is a common thing if you've been constipated, its your bodys way of trying to make it easier to pass.

I have IBS and get mucus just on its own sometimes, nothing to worry about.

Mom2FourKiddos
10-01-18, 21:29
Totally normal :) Only color you ever have to worry about is black and only if it lasts for more than a couple days.