PDA

View Full Version : Hard lump on thigh

Hopeyet
11-01-18, 11:04
Hi,

I'll be honest, I'm looking for a bit of reassurance here. I've arranged a call with my GP to discuss a lump, but made the rookie error of Googling it in the meantime and now diagnosed myself with all sorts of unpleasant conditions.

It's a lump about the size of a large mosquito bite on the inside of my upper thigh. The bit that freaks me out is that it's hard and it doesn't move. The skin looks normal - no obvious signs of an ingrowing hair or anything.

Has anyone else had that?

Ironically, I was only thinking the other day that I'd finally managed to contain the health anxiety that has plagued me for over 10 years. I used to diagnose myself with one life-threatening condition or another virtually every month. Needless to say, this isn't helping that recovery. :doh:

Bigboyuk
11-01-18, 11:23
Hi Yeah you made the biggest mistake there Googling your symptoms and now you fear the worst. So how long have you had this lump for? I had a bigger lump on my right leg went to the dr who got me a ultrasound test everything looked ok but I was the referred for a MRI scan which I had got the all clear so end of, so suggest you get the lump looked at have a ultrasound done and then move on from it it's as simple as that and ask your dr for help with you HA 10 years is a long time to not do something about it :) ATB

Hopeyet
11-01-18, 11:54
Hi Yeah you made the biggest mistake there Googling your symptoms and now you fear the worst.

Yep! Like I say... I should know better by now, but I guess that's not how health anxiety works.

I only noticed it this morning. I can't say I poke and prod around a great deal, so it could have been there for a couple of weeks. 'There' is also an area where my clothing tends to rub if I go for a run, so the logical conclusion would be something harmless.

On the other hand, the lump appears to be hard and attached to the muscle/tissue below the skin (so it doesn't move with the skin on the surface) both of which seem to be top of the 'when to phone your doctor' symptoms for everything on Google!

I'm aware that the GPs are all full of flu patients at the moment, so I've arranged a call with the doctor this afternoon to see what they say. I'd rather get it checked out, but I don't want to risk bringing the flu back to my family if all the GP is going to say is "come back if it hasn't gone down in two weeks".

Bigboyuk
11-01-18, 12:00
Yeah so the way forward is 2 fold no more Googling and cultivate Healthy Thinking that is logical way you thought when going for a run your clothes rub on you leg keep that in mind :) and look in to treating your HA cause that's all it is. ATB

Hopeyet
11-01-18, 12:12
Yeah so the way forward is 2 fold no more Googling and cultivate Healthy Thinking that is logical way you thought when going for a run your clothes rub on you leg keep that in mind :) and look in to treating your HA cause that's all it is. ATB

Very true. I actually had a fairly lengthy course of CBT counseling two years ago, with rather mixed results. I ultimately came to the conclusion that distraction is the best technique. Consciously trying to treat anxiety almost seems to be a contradiction in terms. For me, at least, it was all about having something else to focus on.

But every so often something like this pops up. Before I generally had mystery twinges and so on that are easier to dismiss as psychosomatic. When you don't think about them they eventually go away. This time there is very definitely a physical ... thing.

Bigboyuk
11-01-18, 12:16
If it did help in some ways I would re apply for more help personally think it could help you again :) ATB

Tiff111
11-01-18, 23:13
I get them a lot,at the top of my thigh, mine are cysts, they’re rock hard and don’t really hurt, they take a while to go though