PDA

View Full Version : Is this Anxiety or asthma?

Clydesdale Epona
11-01-18, 19:37
I can't tell if my asthma has worsened or if my anxiety is particularly bad,

I have this just weird feeling in my chest and feel like I can't really breath especially when I talk although I can get a full or almost full breath in.

These past two days have been horrible for my breathing but I have been really stressed about what to do next regarding college or work ect.

My blue inhaler wouldn't just suddenly stop working would it?

It is worse at night when i'm trying to lie down, is this just a fluttery anxiety symptom? :weep:

Mindprison
11-01-18, 20:46
I don't have asthma but my SO does. She has anxiety as well and to be honest I think both conditions can affect each other.

The inhalor wouldn't just stop working either, so i'm guessing that if the breathing issues aren't resolved by the inhalor, it's likely to be anxiety that's causing it.

I don't think you have reason to worry, but if it doesn't improve it's worth checking with your GP anyway.

Clydesdale Epona
11-01-18, 21:00
Thanks for the little advice :)

I'm going up country Sunday so i'm going to give it next week and if not I'll register as a temporary patient and make an appointment about it, i'm just trying to calm myself down and try not to panic until next week as that won't help x

Mindprison
11-01-18, 21:03
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, don't worry!

MrRobot
13-01-18, 15:30
I can't tell if my asthma has worsened or if my anxiety is particularly bad,

I have this just weird feeling in my chest and feel like I can't really breath especially when I talk although I can get a full or almost full breath in.

These past two days have been horrible for my breathing but I have been really stressed about what to do next regarding college or work ect.

My blue inhaler wouldn't just suddenly stop working would it?

It is worse at night when i'm trying to lie down, is this just a fluttery anxiety symptom? :weep:

I have had something similiar to this. I used (and still do) get very short of breath and it would feel like I can't get a proper, satisfying breath in. Typical anxiety symptom and it's probably not asthma-related (I have had asthma for all my life and can tell the difference by now). I also had to yawn all the time.

What helped me was this: Stop trying to get those deep breaths, just keeping on breathing normally through the nose. Also, after a normal breath-out, slowly blow out what ever remaining air is in your lungs. That way you'll see that you are actually not short of breath at all and it just feels that way.

Clydesdale Epona
13-01-18, 16:17
I have had something similiar to this. I used (and still do) get very short of breath and it would feel like I can't get a proper, satisfying breath in. Typical anxiety symptom and it's probably not asthma-related (I have had asthma for all my life and can tell the difference by now). I also had to yawn all the time.

What helped me was this: Stop trying to get those deep breaths, just keeping on breathing normally through the nose. Also, after a normal breath-out, slowly blow out what ever remaining air is in your lungs. That way you'll see that you are actually not short of breath at all and it just feels that way.

Thanks a bunch for the advice!

It's still the same but i'm a little less worried, I had a feeling it couldn't be asthma as my blue inhaler wouldn't just stop working like that and its constant even when sat down but it gets better at random times (presumably when i'm "calm")
I realized last night at one point my heart was beating really fast so think it could be anxiety :)