PDA

View Full Version : Scared of temporal arteritis

rsanchez
12-01-18, 03:28
Hi, over the past few days I've been having this weird really sharp pain if I press into the right side of my temple. I did some googling (yeah I know) and found it might be TMJ, which is not so bad compared to temporal arteritis. Someone happened to mention it and now I'm terrified I might have it. I'm only 27, but I'm also terrified I might have something like Marfan syndrome because I have a lot of stretch marks, my teeth are crowded, I am nearsighted and my chest is sunken in. The Marfan I have been worrying about for a long time and now I am also worrying about temporal arteritis, especially because one of the things you can have with temporal arteritis is aortic aneurysm. :weep:

Can someone please talk some sense into me? I'm so scared.

Careful1
12-01-18, 04:38
Firstly, Marfan syndrome is pretty rare affecting fewer then 200,000 here in the US annually.. Yes, you name some symptoms but there are also other ones that are pretty common in people with Marfan syndrome that you didnt mention. The things you mention are pretty non specific and are likely not linked. I have everything you mention minus the sunken chest but sunken chest is common.

Aortic aneurysm is a RARE complication of TA and TA generally affects people over the age of 50.

As you know googling symptoms is a big no no for people like us and so try your best to fight the urge in the future. I suffer from headaches and have had pains in my head like the ones describe. I mostly suffer from tension headaches and migraines but I have had head pains that I wouldn't exactly call a headache as they were just random sharp pains...

I am not a doctor but I think you are okay... Of course if it should get bad and steady then perhaps you should see one.

rsanchez
12-01-18, 06:12
Thanks, the pain only gets bad when I press on it but I only started noticing it a few days ago. Don't know if I just didn't press there before and that's why I never noticed.

I just worry about all those signs and symptoms because it's just so many of them at the same time.

countrygirl
12-01-18, 09:29
Temperal arteritis is almost unheard of in people under 50 so its very unlikely at your age you have it. I know someone who had it and the symptoms were severe and they had very very prominent throbbing visible artery.
Before noticing this pain have you regularly pressed your temples? Only asking because i tried pressibg mine and both are tender so assune this is normal? Much more likely to be from stressed jaw joint.

Fishmanpa
12-01-18, 09:32
Thanks, the pain only gets bad when I press on it but I only started noticing it a few days ago. Don't know if I just didn't press there before and that's why I never noticed.

I just worry about all those signs and symptoms because it's just so many of them at the same time.

What signs and symptoms? You poked yourself in the head in some self testing ritual :huh:

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I press me head like this.
Doc: Don't press your head like that!

Positive thoughts

rsanchez
12-01-18, 14:02
What signs and symptoms?
The other ones I mentioned that Careful1 talked about...

Positive thoughts

:huh:

You know what just forget it.

Careful1
12-01-18, 17:00
Temperal arteritis is almost unheard of in people under 50 so its very unlikely at your age you have it. I know someone who had it and the symptoms were severe and they had very very prominent throbbing visible artery.
Before noticing this pain have you regularly pressed your temples? Only asking because i tried pressibg mine and both are tender so assune this is normal? Much more likely to be from stressed jaw joint.

Mine are tender as well.... So yeah I think your assumption is correct :winks: