PDA

View Full Version : Vortioxetine diary

Jacsta
12-01-18, 21:08
Hi all

I havent posted in a while, but am starting a new journey with my medication and thought i would share as its a relatively new antidepressant.

Today I was started on 5mg of vortioxetine. It is a new antidepressant which aims to stimulate serotonin concentrations (woohoo happy chemicals!). It is also meant to help my anxiety levels.

Apparently, it doesnt have many side affects, and is also relatively quick at producing results. I am due to increase to a 10mg dose in one week and then see how I go.
So far, no side effects noticed.

My overall aim is to be in this medication only. so In a month I am due to start weaning off other medications.....no more medication reminders on phone 4 times a day....woohoo. Also the other medications I am on sedate me too much and stop me from feeling emotions properly.....which is bad in overall wellness stuff.

Anyhoo. I will try and update as I go with facts and my own personal experience.

Elen
13-01-18, 13:09
I confess I had to go to google to look this one up Jac

I do hope that it works for you honey

How are you coping with the start up side effects, as I know you are very sensitive to meds?

Keep me posted and if it is a wonder drug I will ask my GP about it.

You can be my guinea pig lol

:hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
13-01-18, 13:47
It's an interesting one. A long half like med so you would expect it to be less harsh starting up like Fluoxetine. But reaches steady state within 2 weeks which is less than half the time of Fluoxetine and only a week behind meds like Citalopram & Sertraline.

So, maybe it's a bit of good news on both sides of the coin there? :yesyes:

I hope it works out for you.

Jacsta
13-01-18, 16:49
It's meant to be easy on side affects... And yes a 2 - 3 week wait to see therapeutic affects. I feel OK today, apart from a headache..... The headache is most probably caused by life rather than the medication though..... So far so good.... God help us all if the happy chemicals kick in ;)

pulisa
13-01-18, 19:36
I really hope that this drug helps you, jacsta. The very fact that there is hope of a quicker response is positive.

Jacsta
13-01-18, 19:50
It almost sounds too good to be true...?
I'm certainly waiting for the catch.....but to be honest, if only it allows me to come off the meds that are sedating me....I'll take it!

clio51
13-01-18, 20:50
Interesting, keep us updated.
So what other meds are you also taking whilst starting on this, just out of interest

Jacsta
13-01-18, 21:07
I'm on quetiapine. But it was wrongly prescribed.... Essentially doctors kept upping the dose of it when I got poorly to sedate me rather than think of a better solution. I'm due to start coming off it in a month and can't wait!

clio51
13-01-18, 21:36
So your just on quietipine and vortioxetine? No diazepam for heightened anxiety?
Or do you only have depression ( I don’t mean ONLY) and don’t suffer high anxiety

Jacsta
13-01-18, 22:20
I have diazepam as required, but try not to take it due to not wanting to be addicted. Tbf my diagnosis is emotionally unstable personality disorder. ....but my worse spells are due to heightened depression and anxiety. The quetiapine dose was trebeled recently by a doc who couldn't be bothered with me. This new medication is a long term agreed treatment plan with my new consultant.

Jacsta
16-01-18, 16:08
So.....still in my first week of the new medication. No side affects to report. Going up to next dose in 2 days....I'm glad this is going smoothly as life hasn't been great this ;ast week. Heres to a positive week 2 of new medication!

Jacsta
20-01-18, 11:03
So. Into week 2. Up to 10mg vortioxetine. Can't say there are any side effects to not, though I have been rather fed up mentally....so it could be messing with my emotions and making me more sensitive to stuff.....or that could just be my normally emotional control peopblems....will probably never know.
Am staying on this dose now, so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll notice a positive change.
Will be coming off my quetiapine in 3 weeks too....oh the fun.

Jacsta
04-02-18, 19:41
So, I havent updated this in a while.
Not even sure if this is a side effect or if its just my general state of mind, but over the past couple of weeks I have noticed mood swings. One day, Im great and functional, the next (and these are becomming more often and debilitating) I'm havng a bad day, where im emotional, high maintainence, and everything is of great effort.

On the good days, life is good and hope is alive.
On these bad days, everything is the end of the world. Everything requires effort, and it makes me sad.

I will mention it to my OT....but I guess its a case of wait and see.

GiovanniNL
19-02-18, 09:21
I also use brintellix (vortioxetine). One side effect I experienced: nauseous :). I have the drops.

Ethansmom
16-03-18, 15:10
Please keep me updated! I am currently taking Viibryd (Day 2), and the next one i'm due to try is the one you are taking.

GiovanniNL
17-03-18, 08:27
How you feeling Jacsta :)?