PDA

View Full Version : CBT is it meant to be like this???

Tinkerbell200
28-06-07, 22:17
Ok I have had 4 sessions of CBT so far and my therapist is how can I put it? weird?! He seems to ask me the same questions and he just seems to stare at me alot without saying anything apart from the odd 'mmm'! This makes me feel so awkward and yesterday I nearly walked out as the silence was that long and he really is quite scary! I was so upset afterwards I have told my doctor today that I dont want to see him again and told her why, she was like well have you spoke to him about it? What I meant to say 'Y do you stare at me and not say anything but mmm?' I didnt tell my doctor this but he also stares at my boobs when he does talk which is completely wrong.
I thought at the 1st session that maybe it was just me being paranoid but its not!
Has anyone else experienced this? is that what they're meant to be like? (obviously not staring at ladies boobs!) makes me feel sick everytime I think about it :(
Advice Pls! xx

HazyMind
29-06-07, 08:48
Sorry to hear you feel uncomfortable with your therapist, you have done the right thing in telling your doctor hopefully they can refer you to another therapist.

Also no cbt shouldn't be about the therapist "mmmm"ing at what you say, is he not giving you any tasks etc for you to work on?

I've also been really disappointed by the cbt I have had recently, they haven't given me anything structured to work on, which I thought would happen, instead he has been using the flooding approach and telling me to do things that I find so difficult and because I can't face it he makes me feel very hopeless. :weep:
I thought cbt was about learning to do things again gradually taking small steps.....:confused:

I hope that you can get it sorted and hopefully find another therapist you can feel comfortable with there are some great ones out there somewhere I'm sure!!! :hugs:

x

michellemumof4
29-06-07, 08:57
CBT is a programme designed to help you face or challenge your fears, the consultant should be talking to you about goal setting, diaries and setting small tasks for you to complete, he should be helping you with changing the negative to posative and encouragin you to eat well and do relaxation excerisise's.

I am sorry it doesnt seem you got someone who knows what thier doing

talk to me in chat for more info love

Michelle

Tinkerbell200
29-06-07, 13:44
Sorry to hear you feel uncomfortable with your therapist, you have done the right thing in telling your doctor hopefully they can refer you to another therapist.

Also no cbt shouldn't be about the therapist "mmmm"ing at what you say, is he not giving you any tasks etc for you to work on?

I've also been really disappointed by the cbt I have had recently, they haven't given me anything structured to work on, which I thought would happen, instead he has been using the flooding approach and telling me to do things that I find so difficult and because I can't face it he makes me feel very hopeless. :weep:
I thought cbt was about learning to do things again gradually taking small steps.....:confused:

I hope that you can get it sorted and hopefully find another therapist you can feel comfortable with there are some great ones out there somewhere I'm sure!!! :hugs:

x

Well he has given me 2 little tasks so far but I thought therapists are meant to talk things through with u not sit there staring at me and not saying anything! I feel he also looks at me like im stupid when i say certain things and that just makes me think there is no hope! My doctor was shocked how quick it took for me to get an appt now i see y cos he is weird and no one prob wants to see him! lol

Thanks for ur replies xxx

beadbabe
29-06-07, 21:39
Change your therapist. Therapy won't work if you are unsure or uneasy about the therapist's personality or their methods.
No question about it - go elsewhere. A therapist you do not get on with or feel comfortable with is hindering your recovery.

Or if you want to stick with him - next time their is a silence you feel uncomfortable with - say 'I'd value your opinion on that' and see what his answer is. It may give you a clue to his methods.

ade
30-06-07, 09:34
honey change the therapist,
you are entitled to a comfortable situation.you are showing bravery and courage and this should be met appropriately.
as for him eyeing up your boobs,thats just bloody awful,how unprofessional.
i had a therapist who,when doing emdr with me,closed his eyes and opened his gob like a guppy fish,it was more like gettin the last rites!!!
go get what you deserve hunny b ! im sure if you talk with gp this can be sorted happily for you
tons of love ade x

june
30-06-07, 13:24
ask to see another therapist - do not be afraid - take a CALM person with you if necessary.
My cbt therapist kept telling me:-
"Well you have had these symptoms before and you know they did not harm you - so why are you panicking?
ME " I am panicking because I do not know what causes the fear to start."
Therapist - but why do you need to know why they start? just believe they will not harm you.
I found someone else to help me I am still in therapy but happier
june

Tinkerbell200
03-07-07, 16:21
Thankyou all for your replies i feel better now and will definately not be going back will ask to see someone else. I agree he is totally unprofessional and my thoughts were also 'how am i meant to get better when i dont feel at ease with him'

thankyou all again i dont no what id do without this site, its so nice to have people who understand you! much love to u all xxx:hugs:

june
05-07-07, 13:44
Hi tinkerbell, You knew you were right, you just needed confirmation to be able to take the right action.

Well done - I hope your next therapist shows you the respect and understanding that you need.
best wishes
june

olichris
06-07-07, 22:00
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you have had to deal with this kind of rubbish, not what you need when you are feeling bad.
You can be sure your instincts are still working well as the therapist clearly needs to be looked at.
If you are interested I have posted a very good web based CBT programme in the thread above this one, maybe you could use that for a while ?

Take care
Olichris