PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and University

KatherineLion
14-01-18, 19:02
Hello,

After a few hard months, I finally got the courage to visit the GP and got diagnosed with anxiety and depression which I suspected for sometime. However, I am finding that I am really struggling with university, the work and now even my friends.

While my friends have been understanding, I also feel quite isolated from them now due to this and also due to the fact that we have had a few small arguments. I have already taken one week off university to stay at home and am considering taking another week off as I don't feel capable of going back. I feel like they are constantly judging me and that they no longer want to be my friend, which is only increasing the anxious feelings I am experiencing.

Every time I think about going back to uni, I feel like I cannot breathe and I just burst into tears. I am in my final year and my last few months, I don't feel like quitting is an option.

I feel like everything is just suffocating me and I don't know how to cope anymore. I have attended talking therapy and have just started Sertraline.

axolotl
14-01-18, 19:15
Hi Katherine, sorry to hear all this. Have you explored any support at University? Unis are usually very good at providing support for these kind of issues, either through the Students' Union, pastoral support, or Disability Services if you have a diagnosed anxiety disorder.

KatherineLion
14-01-18, 19:41
Hi Katherine, sorry to hear all this. Have you explored any support at University? Unis are usually very good at providing support for these kind of issues, either through the Students' Union, pastoral support, or Disability Services if you have a diagnosed anxiety disorder.

Hello, I am waiting for the student counselling service to email me back, thank you.

Dying_Swan
14-01-18, 20:17
Hi Katherine

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. My anxiety issues started at university too, a long time ago now.

Can you talk to your friends about things? Anxiety and depression are quite difficult to understand when you've not been through them, but if you sit down and tell them how it is, I'm sure they will do their best. I had some horrible rows with my old housemates too when mine started up, but actually I don't think I'd have got through it without them. You might find they surprise you.

It's great to see that you've taken some positive steps already to combat this. Is it an option to take a bit longer off? Would that help, or would it make it harder to go back?

KatherineLion
14-01-18, 20:24
Hi Katherine

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. My anxiety issues started at university too, a long time ago now.

Can you talk to your friends about things? Anxiety and depression are quite difficult to understand when you've not been through them, but if you sit down and tell them how it is, I'm sure they will do their best. I had some horrible rows with my old housemates too when mine started up, but actually I don't think I'd have got through it without them. You might find they surprise you.

It's great to see that you've taken some positive steps already to combat this. Is it an option to take a bit longer off? Would that help, or would it make it harder to go back?

Thank you for your reply. I have already spoken to them about it, multiple times, they were the ones that encouraged me to go to the GP. The argument was because I forgot to pay the bills despite me being at home and obviously having a hard time, they still made a huge deal about it :(

I don't know whether it would make it harder or not, I am stuck between these options and feeling like neither of them is a good choice.

Dying_Swan
14-01-18, 20:41
Totally understand your dilemma. Can you speak to your personal tutor? Find out how long you can have off without needing to defer, and then perhaps it will make it easier to decide if you need a bit longer at home. If you need to defer, it's not the end of the world either. Maybe just find out what your options are. Sometimes I think it can be easier if you have a date to work towards. If that date approaches and you know you aren't ready, then you need more time. If it approaches and feel maybe you can do it, then you probably can.

Sorry to hear about the bill argument. I can understand why that was upsetting, although remember your friends will sometimes get it wrong too. It's also a learning curve for those around you. If it's a one-off, try to let it go, which I know is easier said than done when you're already feeling low.

I think Axolotl's suggestion of the disability service is a very good one. They can certainly advise and signpost you for further support.

KatherineLion
14-01-18, 22:21
Totally understand your dilemma. Can you speak to your personal tutor? Find out how long you can have off without needing to defer, and then perhaps it will make it easier to decide if you need a bit longer at home. If you need to defer, it's not the end of the world either. Maybe just find out what your options are. Sometimes I think it can be easier if you have a date to work towards. If that date approaches and you know you aren't ready, then you need more time. If it approaches and feel maybe you can do it, then you probably can.

Sorry to hear about the bill argument. I can understand why that was upsetting, although remember your friends will sometimes get it wrong too. It's also a learning curve for those around you. If it's a one-off, try to let it go, which I know is easier said than done when you're already feeling low.

I think Axolotl's suggestion of the disability service is a very good one. They can certainly advise and signpost you for further support.

Thank you for replying. I will definitely contact my tutor and discuss things that are going on and find out what my options are.

I guess the thing about my friends is true, but like you said, its hard to let things go and see past them really. I will take this advice and give it a shot though :)

Dying_Swan
16-01-18, 21:25
Good luck Katherine, I hope you manage to get it all sorted :)