PDA

View Full Version : Visual Disturbances

Hears The Water
06-12-04, 02:46
Hey y'all!
I am sitting here in a mild panic because of a "visual disturbance". Such a generic term. I will try to describe what I am seeing. Partially because it will help me to get this out and partially because I am curious to see if anyone else has anything like this.
I was sitting in my living room and I looked up at the wall and I noticed that it all looked a bit like it was flickering. Now we have flourescent bulbs and they are very yellow and not very bright. Plus I had the ceiling fan on and that sometimes makes the light strobe a bit. So anyway I freaked out when I saw this. I got up and went into the other rooms to look around where there was no fan running and I can still see the flickering. It is like everything is sparkeling only instead of refracting bright light it is refracting darker light. Almost like when you rub your eyes too hard and you get that starburst effect only in reverse. I know, this is not making sense. I think I posted about this kind of thing once before but I have noticed it off and on for a while. Mostly when I go outside to walk when it is overcast. Almost like there is not enough light for me to see. Hmmm I wonder if that is a common denominater.
I also want to know if anyone else sees "sparkles" when you go from darkness to light, like when you turn on a light during the night. I do. I asked my hubby and he said that he did not. Now I am wondering if something is wrong with me. I am nearsighted and have astigmatisim (sp?) I also have optic migraines when I am extremely stressed and hormonal. But I have not had one in a long time. I had my eyes checked just this last summer when I got my new glasses and everthing checked out fine. I guess I let the scary thoughts run away from me. Things like "What if I have a brain tumor" "What if I am going blind" etc. etc. [Sigh...] And I was doing so well for such a long time. Oh well.......
I would realy appreceate any and all input. Thanks in advance.
God bless you and yours
Debbie

seh1980
06-12-04, 10:54
hello Debbie,

When I feel anxious or panicky, my eye-sight sometimes goes weird. I can't focus properly, lights are too bright, etc. It can often happen so don't worry about it too much. I'm sure that it is nothing serious!!

Sarah :D

carlin
06-12-04, 14:54
Hi Debbie, gosh this is hard work all this anxiety business eh? i also get symptoms similar to what you described, and yes i then convince myself that i am losing my sight, or have a brain tumour or high blood pressure, the list is endless, sling in a bit of dizziness, and i'm scared to move, what you describe is very common with anxiety, it's good you have had your eyes checked recently, 'cos, as you know, opticians can detect certain illnesses through your eyes, and if you had a problem you would have been advised to check with a doctor, so try hard to be re-assured by this and try hard to ignore the scary thoughts, if only eh? take care.

nomorepanic
06-12-04, 18:01
Debbie

I get this more when I am very tired or stressed.

We went out on Saturday and I noticed then that my vision was blurry and it is scary. I think mine is tiredness and feeling a bit anxious.

I hope it goes soon for you.

Nicola

twister
06-12-04, 21:15
I sometimes get a strobe like effect, especially when I wake up at night - it's nothing serious.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

jude
17-01-05, 21:22
Im new to this forum so Im sorry its a late reply. I get these sparkly things drifting accross my vision too. I also get the flickering and black blobs causing me to have a blind patch for a few mins. I got checked out at the opticians who told me its another form of migraine caused by stress. I usually get an aura when im gettin a migraine but this was all new to me.
Jude

Mel
21-01-05, 11:35
I get alot of visual disturbances, I see flickering like you and the edges of my vision are blurry, and I think I see things out of the corner of my eye, lights are too bright (particularly flourescent ones). All of these things are freaky at first, but once I realised they are caused by panic I just try to ignore them as best I can. Please don't worry.

Mel

gia_eve
25-02-05, 11:15
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hey y'all!
I am sitting here in a mild panic because of a "visual disturbance". Such a generic term. I will try to describe what I am seeing. Partially because it will help me to get this out and partially because I am curious to see if anyone else has anything like this.
I was sitting in my living room and I looked up at the wall and I noticed that it all looked a bit like it was flickering. Now we have flourescent bulbs and they are very yellow and not very bright. Plus I had the ceiling fan on and that sometimes makes the light strobe a bit. So anyway I freaked out when I saw this. I got up and went into the other rooms to look around where there was no fan running and I can still see the flickering. It is like everything is sparkeling only instead of refracting bright light it is refracting darker light. Almost like when you rub your eyes too hard and you get that starburst effect only in reverse. I know, this is not making sense. I think I posted about this kind of thing once before but I have noticed it off and on for a while. Mostly when I go outside to walk when it is overcast. Almost like there is not enough light for me to see. Hmmm I wonder if that is a common denominater.
I also want to know if anyone else sees "sparkles" when you go from darkness to light, like when you turn on a light during the night. I do. I asked my hubby and he said that he did not. Now I am wondering if something is wrong with me. I am nearsighted and have astigmatisim (sp?) I also have optic migraines when I am extremely stressed and hormonal. But I have not had one in a long time. I had my eyes checked just this last summer when I got my new glasses and everthing checked out fine. I guess I let the scary thoughts run away from me. Things like "What if I have a brain tumor" "What if I am going blind" etc. etc. [Sigh...] And I was doing so well for such a long time. Oh well.......
I would realy appreceate any and all input. Thanks in advance.
God bless you and yours
Debbie

<div align="right">Originally posted by Hears The Water - 06 December 2004 : 02:46:48</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

jo-jo
25-02-05, 12:20
Yes, I get funny vision too when I'm anxious and in my case is often more of a 'flickering' sensation. Try not to worry too much, sounds like yet another of our lovely symptoms!

Best wishes
Jo xx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

razocaine_07
25-02-05, 15:52
hi there, i always got disturbances when i had a bad patch, as if my blood pressure was causing it. For about six months i have had a twitch in my right eye, its got to the point that i hardly recognise it. I think disturbances with vision is quite common but can vary in my ways

AiryLeigh
26-02-05, 22:37
Hello,
I'm new here. I came to this site from a link at a panic attack website. I've had the sparkly vision problem before. My eye doctor told me it is an ocular migraine. I get them when I'm feeling stressed or after I've had a panic attack. It was pretty freaky the first few times. It always started out as one sparkly strand across my vision and I could still see it when I closed my eyes and within an hour it would cover almost my entire vision. I could see normal things around it, but for the most part it would cover my vision.
I'd never heard of it before and no one I know has ever experienced it before. It's nice to hear that it is at least semi-common.
Airy

Meg
26-02-05, 23:46
Well there you go - nice to know you're not the only one isn't it ?

lainey
27-02-05, 00:00
Hi there

I usd to get this as well at the height of my anxiety, just another horrible symptom.

Take care

Elaine x

razocaine_07
27-02-05, 01:20
to airy - my mum suffers from exactly the same thing, and she has suffered from migraines for ages now. It comes on after she has had a bad day at work or is stressed out. Only thing that shifts it for her is peace and a long nap

Heebyjeebies
01-03-05, 17:01
Hi everyone. Isn't this site great! I was in a real bad panic last night following 2 episodes of this eye flickering thing. I FREAKED!! I'd never experienced anything like it before and thought the classic 'going blind' and 'brain tumor' stuff too! It was in my left eye and was a cigar shaped patch at the side. It was blurred and flickery and when I looked at apersons face on the T.V, it had a part completely missing - Very scarey when you don't know what's happening. SO glad I'm not the only one...if you know what I mean. Pleased to know it's nothing serious. Thanks!!

Heebyjeebies
02-03-05, 20:34
feeling very anxious following my 4th 'visual disturbance' in 3 days! It's happened 3 times today. I popped in to the opticians to get some advice today and she said that I was describing a classic migraine, even though I had NO pain but she said she thought it was 'ODD' that I'd had 4 in such a short space of time. This comment has sent my anxiety levels through the window!!!! WHAT is wrong with me? WHY has it happenened now, out of the blue? Please can another sufferer tell me how often they have had attacks like this and how long between? My thoughts are really getting carried away and I'm feeling pretty bad right now - Can someone help?

FAN
02-03-05, 20:50
i first thought migraine on reading your post , do you have eye strain maybe? im sure its nothing else as the optician would have said to go see your doc im sure

fan x

Heebyjeebies
02-03-05, 20:57
Hi Fan. The optician did say to go to the Dr. I'm going tomorrow p.m. I didnt actually have an eye test as I had to go and pick my daughter up from school but it was when I told her how often I'd had these episodes that she suggested I go to the Dr. I may have eye-strain from being on the computer alot recently. Also been on Proprananol for a week but the chemist says this is given to people to HELP with migraine so unlikely to be a side effect - Grasping at straws...

FAN
02-03-05, 21:07
yeah i bet its eye strain, i found i was getting that for 2 or 3 days then the full blown migraine came along but i got a thing that clips over my pc screen cuts the glare and flicker apparently and so far have been ok, dont worry too much and hope all goes well at the docs tomorrow

fan x

razocaine_07
02-03-05, 21:56
yeah, its a radiation thing, takes the glare out of the screen. Very good. No good if u have a laptop

lainey
03-03-05, 09:53
Hi HJ

At the height of my anxiety I used to get allsorts of visual disturbances;-
Floaters constantly and still with me now
Flashing lights at the outside of my vision
Very sensitive to bright lights
Sparkly lights now and again which used to send me into complete panic.
Blurred vision etc

Take care

Elaine x

Heebyjeebies
05-03-05, 16:55
Been for an eye test today and the optician said she couldnt find anything wrong. She could see right to the back of my eye and could tell that there was no pressure from my brain etc - BUT she has recommended I go for further checks as it's unusual to have these flickering blobs SO often. I've had one attack nearly every day for 6 days. She said to get a hospital appointment where they'll check blood supply in my brain amongst other things. REALLY anxious! Has anyone else ever had a brain scan or similar!?

jude
05-03-05, 23:05
Hi Heebie,

Did you tell the optician that you suffer from anxiety.

I have had these kind of visual probs for months. They are always worse when Im tired, anxious or due for my monthly.

Im sure if the blood supply to your brain was being affected, you would have headaches too, along with other symptoms.

My neighbour is being tested at the moment after having had a minor stroke. He had terrific headaches, to the point where he couldn't stand the pain and had to be put on morphine!

Try to calm down. Health proffesionals always test for the worst scenario. They get sued for medical negligence so often nowadays that they cant leave anything to chance.

Jude x

Heebyjeebies
06-03-05, 01:48
Thanks Jude, that's reassuring. Can't sleep because of it and just thought I'd see if anyone had replied. Yes...I'm tired, stressed AND due for my monthly, so it is sounding like it is just another of these EVIL symptoms. I have a job accepting any kind of medical problem without fearing the absolute worst. It's one of my problems but I think this one has to be the scariest. I'm going to put the kettle on and go and try to get some much needed sleep. Thanks again...Night night

andy_uk
07-03-05, 21:57
Hi all got passed to here from a website i have recently started getting bad panic attacks again after almost two years of being panic free it was braught on again by being ill but now i think there is allsorts wrong with me i have noticed lately that when in a badly lit room one of my pupils are bigger than the other now im absolutely terrified that there is something seriously wrong with me or is it just the panic making me think there is something wrong with them as everyone else says there is nothing wrong with them?? getting more scared about it everyday but with the amount i have been to the doctors lately because im panicking over one thing or another im a bit worried that they are going to tell me to find another doctor

FAN
07-03-05, 22:02
hi andy welcome to the site im sure you will find it helpful and as you read through the posts im sure lots of your questions will be answered

fan x

lainey
07-03-05, 23:34
Hi Andy

Welcome to the site, you ahve come to the right place. You'll get lots of help and support here from like-minded people.

Take care

Elaine x

andy_uk
08-03-05, 00:01
Thanks everyone it will be good to talk to other people who have similar problems as most just think your mad or something

willowsprout
24-03-05, 17:56
Hi I was wondering do anyones eyes get smaller when they have a panic attack?

andy_uk
24-03-05, 18:34
one of mine goes big one goes small but i could just be seeing things

"Tis easy enough to be pleasant, when life flows like a song. But the man worthwhile is the one who will smile when everything goes dead wrong"

tksh1115
15-04-05, 19:36
I cant believe I actually found another site that has people with this flickering thing. I have had it for months and I thought it was part of my panic disorder because whenever I was more stressed, I seemed to see more of them. But, seriously I can go outside and see them all the time. It comes and goes on how bad they are and actually when I first wake up in the morning I dont see them at all outside (thats also the time of day I have the least anxiety). I had been to the eye doctor for an exam and to make sure it wasnt any kind of retinal detachment and they said they also thought it was an optical migraine...but I dont have it only sometimes...its there a lot. I believe it has to do with a decrease in blood flow to your eyes or brain. I read that a decrease in blood flow could cause the optical migraines and I also read that people with anxiety have a decrease in blood flow to the brain and face (bc its centered somewhere else in the body)....kind of like how some symptoms of anxiety disorders cause body parts to fall asleep and tingling sensations. What do you guys think? I am glad to see that it does seem to be just another symptom even though any doctor I have spoken to doesnt make the same connection. But, if you think about it...optical migraines are caused by stress as is anxiety.

goodkatrin
17-06-05, 19:24
Well I am so glad that I found this topic! I have been searching all over for some description of this weird vision thing, but hadn't found anything for months. I have almost constant sort of dark/flickery vision. I used to get optical migraines until my doc put me on propranolol, now I just have the flickery-ness. And yes, it does seem like not enough blood to the head, sort of like the tail end of a head rush. Has anyone found anything that helps? And FLOATERS. I am severly myopic, so it makes sense that I have floaters, but they came on at the same time as the weird overall vision and haven't abated. I head that floaters might be linked to muscle tension. Anyone know anything about these?
My vision gets much worse in situations where I have to lecture, almost becomes tunnel vision.

Thanks for the support of this!

SFAOK
05-07-05, 15:42
I've noticed some quite weird things with my vision lately. They almost exclusively happen at night.

I still experience what I can only describe as a dimming of my vision, although I can't see the difference between before and after - its very strange. Birds flying past the window behind me when the lights are off can mimic it during the day. I *think* its just my heightened sense of awareness mixed with shorts in electricity supply (causing the light to change), but then again I've never seen anybody report such a thing with anxiety.

Another thing is that sometimes I'll awake from my sleep / open my eyes at night and the white bed covers will flash or flicker for a few seconds. Very disturbing - anyone else get this?

The third thing is that when its dark and there's a single light source (lets say an LCD clock display), it plays huge tricks on my vision when I scan my sight across it. I get a duplicate of the image in the corner of my eye or flashes or something. Again, this is probably just something normal I've never noticed before, but it freaks me out completely.

Optician said she could find no problems. Ditto for the neurologist.

Wiggins8472
06-04-06, 02:10
I have another thought on this flickering. I also notice it when I look at the sky or blank walls. It is kind of a squiggly flickering. I believe that it is explained in at least some cases by this website. I do not belive that it is related to anxiety other than possibly by increasing the blood flow to the macular capillarys. This website explains:

VISUAL SKY FLASHES EXPLAINED (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9160)

Hopefully this will explain your symptoms and alleviate your fears.
Wiggins8472

ciara
05-08-06, 22:47
Hi there, it seems we are all having an aura that usually proceeds a migraine headache. I get them but never the headache, the visual distortion always appears in the corner of the same eye. Mine only last from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

nomorepanic
05-08-06, 22:57
We have all these too

Visual disturbances
Visual Disturbances (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2128)
eye trouble with a difference (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3069)
I am so glad I found this forum (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3513)
sparks in your vision (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2364)
Difficulty focusing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4083)
white flashes im scared (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4816)
Vision (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5408)
my eyes!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5419)
It's back!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5491)
VISION?! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5568)
weird vision (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5874)
Burning eyes! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5935)
eye tic (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6657)
Stupid me - need reassurance (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6927)
Visual trail..... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6967)

Nicola

joangrant
28-01-07, 16:57
hi there

joangrant
28-01-07, 17:05
hi there
im new to all this ive been getting panic attaks for years but i only got the eye thing the other night is was terrible i was doing my house work and went to go to an other room when everything in front of me was all foggy then there were shape like things in front of my eyes i had a major panic attack and felt horrible all night does anybody no the reason for this i thought i was going blind then i took a sore head and thought i had a brain tumor the headache went away with painkillers but at the time it was terrible .joan

JaneyJ
29-01-07, 15:39
Hi debbie

I have had visual problems because of my anxiety for as long as I can remember. I used to get really freaked out about it all and think I was going blind. I find it worst when looking at the sky or a plain wall. It seems as if the whole thing is pulsating with little sparklies. I've had my eyes tested and they are fine. The optician said I'd just become too observant and what I was seeing was the actual blood flowing through the back of my eyes. I must admit it still freaks me out sometimes but I just sort of accept it now. I also suffer with floaters and occassional black spots which just last for a few seconds. Try not to worry. I think it's just another anxiety thing.
take care
Janey

sar_uk
05-02-07, 16:40
Hi, i realise this thread has been going for a few years but still felt the need to reply. It is only recently that i've been suffering from anxiety attacks - i call them that because they have all the symptoms of panic attacks apart from hyperventilation - sometimes i wish i could have a full blown panic attack to release some of my tension- stupid i know!!! I found my anxiety became worse when i began to notice floaters which i was told by the optician were completely normal - i also see what i can only describe as halos around objetcs such as the tv - this can happen out of the blue and tends to bring on the panic and anxiety that i might be losing my mind. Reading these threads has really helped me - i now realise i'm not alone and hopefully not losing my sanity. Its a frightening thing to deal with at any age, being only 21 years old my friends cant really understand what im dealing with an sometimes i think there concern for me raises my anxiety. Its good to know that i am not alone in my visual disturbances and that it doesnt mean im losing my mind, as my friends seem to worry. These days when it does happen i try to refocuse my attention, to reassure myself that is is perfectly normal, that its part of a process of recovering from stress and soon it will pass. It sometimes hard especially as these days i feel like im in a constant daze - like i cant reallly focus/ nothing feels real. I wonder if anyone else gets this? What i started this thread to say was thank you for the reassurance that past messages have given - i feel a lot calmer and ready to tackle this problem :)

kirsty
12-02-07, 18:59
Hello folks, I am so glad I've come across this forum (thank you google).
I have today had the worst visual disturbances I've ever had - it's not exactly the same as others are describing, and reading the internet has made me wonder if it's a mini-stroke?
It showed up in one eye, and though the centre and the very edges of my vision were ok, there was a circle of visual disturbance which was like looking at a kaleidoscope, coloured, moving and flickering. It lasted about an hour, and halfway through he attack the area round my mouth went numb, as though I'd been at the dentist.
When it all finally passed, it left a headache.
I have had both these symptoms before, the last time about a year ago.
How would I know if it is a mini-stroke? I know I should go to the doc, but I don't want to make a fuss.

Phill2
14-02-07, 04:12
Hi Deb
I get something similar .The doc tells me its the visual aura from a migraine.
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Phill2
14-02-07, 04:25
When you get the aura without the headache it's called a Type A typical migraine
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

claireypoo
14-02-07, 14:46
Hi there :)

I can soooo relate!

I get occular migraines from stress (acephalgic migraine) and the name for the visual disturbances is (here's a nice word) scintillating scotoma!

It's common and the pre-curser to migraine headaches usually, although with acephalgic migraine you don't get the headache. (phew!)

My scintillating scotomas (auras) last for about 10 mins at the most and sometimes when really stressed i can have 5 a day! Sometimes it's like seeing an old black and white film with this "flickering" in the corner of my eye and often i lose part of my visual field and get white sparkles too. It is scary but i'm getting used to it. Afterwards i feel washed out and muzzy sometimes. Stress triggers migraines as well as some foods, chocolate is one but it varies from person to person. I understand caffeine withdrawal or too much caffeine can bring them on too.

I have done some research and I found that teeth clenching/ stress can trigger the eye probs. (i clench my jaw A LOT and grind my teeth (more anx) TMJ syndrome is a biggie for causing migraine)

You might find this interesting, it's from Wikipedia.

Acephalgic migraine is a neurological syndrome. It is a variant of migraine in which the patient may experience aura symptoms such as scintillating scotoma, nausea, photophobia, hemiparesis and other migraine symptoms but does not experience headache. Acephalgic migraine is also referred to as amigrainous migraine, ocular migraine, or optical migraine.

Sufferers of acephalgic migraine are more likely than the general population to develop classical migraine with headache.

The prevention and treatment of acephalgic migraine is broadly the same as for classical migraine. However, because of the absence of "headache", diagnosis of acephalgic migraine is apt to be significantly delayed and the risk of misdiagnosis significantly increased.

Visual snow might be a form of acephalgic migraine.

So... Ok for me is it's another symptom of stress and anxiety, but if it's bothering you a lot, it's worth checking with your GP - they can give you something to treat it - i was given a very low dose of amitripltine. Also get a visual field test (the green dot one) at opticians if you haven't already had one.

Hope you feel better soon!

Claire

DaveB
18-11-07, 03:54
Hi -

I just found this blog. My first visual aura (acephalgic migraine) was almost 50 years ago. I never get the headache; and yes I know that puts me in about 1% of the population!

That first aura really scared me. But now, though not a laughing matter, they can be quite interesting. I have enough warning when driving to pull over and/or get my wife to take over.

They last about twenty minutes, and I do get a "feeling" a couple minutes beforehand that one is coming. Maybe one a week, two or three at times. Maybe months between.

I'll be posting more here, but just wanted to initially sign in.

For me anyhow, after 50 years of this, it's more "interesting" than anything else.

But if you just get your first one you may want to have it checked out. Since I did not, it looks like I stumbled into a safe/frustrating situation just by dumb luck.

Dave

KGlynn420
07-01-08, 23:34
i have been having weird visual disturbances for about a month now. if i stop and just focus on one thing like the computer screen everything to the left of it seems to be shaking sorta. kinda like static. if you have ever been for an eye exam and the test your periphiral vision, at my office you look into a screen and a little ball kinda wiggles around it, its the same affect i see. Its more noticeable on straight lines. Like my venetian blinds make it very prominent. then i freak out and think im going to pass out or something. anyone else see anything like that.

Michael68000
15-01-08, 11:29
I am 58 and have never had anything like this before but in the last two months I have had two occurances of these disturbances, just as described, a shimmering circle to the left of my vision lasting about 15 minutes. On both occasions I was left with a headache (but probably not as bad as a true migraine headache).

It certainly seems to fit the pattern everyone is describing - I suppose the big question is: is there any point in discussing it with my GP or is that just inviting an increase in travel insurance?

sarahjon
15-03-08, 11:48
Having "googled" the words "visual disturbances" to try and reassure myself that I don't need to see a doctor - I have come across this site. Having had classical migraines on and off at various stages of my life, I had settled into a fairly complacent routine of getting only 1 every few months as I reached my mid-fifties, and the fact that I no longer got such a blinding headache after the eye symptoms, neither was I sick, made me much more relaxed about the whole migraine thing (which when I was about 12 used to literally ruin many social occasions and made me very anxious about when I would get one). However strangely this week, I have had peculiar visual symptoms (day three now) - starting in the evening with what appeared to be bright "snow" type lights crossing my left field of vision from top to bottom - as though I was being rained on. Then since it has developed into vague migrainous type lights and also lots of "floaters" but quite definite floaters. I have had no definite headache but slight one over left eye and the left forehead feels tender to the touch. Do I consult a doctor or do I persevere and put this down to something that will pass and I shouldn't get stressed about?! Trouble is that in my job I drive quite a lot and don't feel very confident if my left eye sight is experiencing this. Incidentally I am 58, pretty fit as I run and go to the gym regularly and don't think exercise makes much difference as I have been to gym and run in the three days I've had this. Any suggestions welcome.

richard1950
24-03-08, 15:02
Hi,

I became realy worried about 4 years ago, I was driving my car and looked into the rear view mirror just as the full light of the sun came between two buildings and hit me straight in the eyes. I could not see properly for about 5 hours.
Since that time I have suffered perhaps about once per month from occular migraine-but no headaches, just a washed out feeling. The effect starts for no recognised reason, and is just a tiny dot in the centre of my focus. It then always grown into and angular shaped zig zak shimmering line, nearly always blue and yellow interlocking zig zags. This gets bigger from the centre of my eye and eventually passes out of the the side of my vision and my sight is normal again. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Sometimes the zig zag lines actually block out a small total area of vision with a dull grey/black colour. Perifireral vison remains the same, that is untill the shimmering moves outwards. These are really scary but I have got used to them now and just close my eyes and wait for it to pass. T tend to feel a bit tired and scared but forget about the episodes until they happen again.

I talked to my boss about it and she suffered from the same thing, but always had really bad headaches afterwards.

BUT for two days I have had a different disturbance, I seem to have a blur like effect just at the bottom of my right eye, like if there was an eye lash over the eye, this seems worse when I move about, and for most of the time does not seem to be there at all. If I close my eyes I can see it as a blueish line and then it just fades. It only lasts a few seconds and then I can't make it come back to check what caused it!
I have checked for eye lashes etc and kind find anything that causes it. My eyes sight is actually good, although I wear glasses for reading, think that means I suffer from short sightedness. Anyone know what this is??

Thanks,
Rich

Liverbird67
25-03-08, 11:55
hiya rich
I think that is what has kicked all my anixiety off, last year was sitting in work when vision in my left eye began to shimmer, shortly afterwards I could not see out of it, colleagues scared the bejaysus out of me saying you might be having a stroke go to AED which I did feeling very embarassed and terrified, by this time was mouth was twitching I had pins and needles you name it, they monitored my heart which was fine BP was a bit high (I was terrified!) saw a young dr he said it was possibly a migraine aura, he was adament it wasn't a stroke as my sight recovered, no limb weakness etc since then I have had an eye test (exceptionally good eyesight and a glaucoma test it runs it my family) everything fine however my stress and anxiety have increased sorry to ramble on huney but thanks for all the blogs on here they are very reassuring.

Cheers my dears

Liverbird
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

pigtailplaits
26-04-08, 10:43
Hello everyone,

The visual disturbances seem to be the worst symptom for me. I was just sitting on a train one day when i noticed that my vision was 'out of focus'- and thats where it all started. That was 4 months ago and since that day I have had a brain scan convinced there was a tumor, ive had many trips to AandE and many tests have been carried out on me including blood, ultrasounds, xray etc. I have had the last 8 weeks off work coz i am just unable to concentrate on anything i look at. I can definitely relate the venetian blind complaint! I cant bear to look at anything with parallel lines coz i think im gonna faint. Im scared to drive coz i cant see properly, im scared to pick up my daughter coz i think im gonna pass out. This is not just now and again, this is every minute that i am awake, I have had an eye test and apparently my eyes are strong and healthy. My vision is not quite single but not quite double. If i look out of the window on a clear day- i think i can see rain. However, this morning i noticed bright electric spots passing my field of vision. Does anyone get this? Ive tried telling my doctor that i think i have vertigo, but everything i suggest he just ignores and puts down to anxiety. The strange thing is, i have no reason to be anxious and these symptoms occur whether i am having fun or not. Anyone else get this

mdouglas
24-05-08, 08:20
Hi Debbie

I also get these visual disturbances and have had my eyes checked and they are fine. If I look at something bright or shiny I get the image in front of my eyes for maybe a minute or so I know now that it is another form of anxiety and even when my eyes blur up I try to ignore it. I often get migrances from anxiety with no headache and I get ziggy lines in front of my eyes and then blind patches but I have found that if I can lay down and close my eyes for ten minutes my sight goes back to normal. Very scary I must admit but I feel so much better having read some of your posts and know that I am not alone with this problem which in an odd way is comfort ing .

Marie :scared15:

maisiesmumx
25-05-08, 00:13
Hi i deffo get the feeling that if i look out of the window its raining and its not..its werid although its all sxxt love faith
xxx

loulouham
19-06-08, 13:08
Just found this site the other day, wish so much I'd found it sooner, it is so amazing to read everyone's stories here, it is the first time have actually heard anyone with symptoms similar to mine. I also get a weird dizzy feeling when I look at anything with parrallel lines (banisters, blinds etc), plus all the flashes, spots, blurred vision...also sometimes feel my eyes are vibrating (I know!...sounds so mad, I told a friend & she told me I was mental).
Have suffered with fluctuating anxiety for years (just turned 40), but had SO many symptoms and terrible panic attacks, that the fear I had a serious illness was making my anxiety worse (classic vicious circle). I never realised until recently that ALL my symptoms could be traced to anxiety...I'm currently taking 1mg of Valium morning & night, don't know if it actually does anything or just a placebo effect, sometimes feel slightly better, sometimes worse...thanks to everyone on here for being so honest, it's SO reassuring for a newcomer like me! Lou X

halfnormal
19-06-08, 16:40
Just found this site the other day, wish so much I'd found it sooner, it is so amazing to read everyone's stories here, it is the first time have actually heard anyone with symptoms similar to mine. I also get a weird dizzy feeling when I look at anything with parrallel lines (banisters, blinds etc), plus all the flashes, spots, blurred vision...also sometimes feel my eyes are vibrating (I know!...sounds so mad, I told a friend & she told me I was mental).
Have suffered with fluctuating anxiety for years (just turned 40), but had SO many symptoms and terrible panic attacks, that the fear I had a serious illness was making my anxiety worse (classic vicious circle). I never realised until recently that ALL my symptoms could be traced to anxiety...I'm currently taking 1mg of Valium morning & night, don't know if it actually does anything or just a placebo effect, sometimes feel slightly better, sometimes worse...thanks to everyone on here for being so honest, it's SO reassuring for a newcomer like me! Lou X

Welcome! Yea My eyes have been wacky because I FOCUS ON THEM!!

Its lots of fun not. But yea its nice to see other people have the problem (well not nice I hate to see other people suffering)

Anyways I'll add to the list.

I see a small blue dot occassionaly mostly when I want to look for it. Flashes for a second.

I see black dot out of the corner of my eyes and then turn and its not there. I don't think its a floater.

I see sparks out of the corner of my eyes and sometimes a singular one that flashes in my vision.

If I stare at a blank wall or blue sky I see tons of things. (All normal, floaters, blue cells)

The worst is that when you concentrate too much on your vision (which we all seem to do ) You can mistake things actually happening for wacky eyes.

For example I spent 2 weeks thinking I had retinal detachment because I kept seeing a flash in my perifpheral vision. Turned out the light above me was flickering but so randomly that I couldn't ever get it to repeat whicle staring at it!!

Also the next one I felt like my eyes were pulsating. I was a bit anxious and it felt like the light in the room was pulsing! Of course I noticed the dishwasher was on and it tends to wreak havok with the lights in our house making them flicker.

Anyways!! From all the stupid doctor googling I've done I've never seen these symptoms as signs of anything deadly. So thats good!

Oh yea another funny one. I was working on the house yesterday and undrilling some screws. So basically I'm staring at this textured lined box for minutes at a time. I look up at the blue sky and see lines and texture. I'm like OH CRAP I'm seeing crazy lines in my vision. It was just because I'd been staring at crazy lines for 10 minutes straight. The lines went away after I was done with the work. :)

Your brain and vision know what is importnat. However, those of us who are hypervigilant comvince our brains to start looking for other things.

So anyways tell yourself. "These things aren't important" and you'll probably notice them less.

Summerleft
19-06-08, 19:58
I suffer from visual snow and migraines,

When my anxiety is high I tend to focus on the disturbances which make them worse.
They get worse everytime I have a migraine, had sight checked and apparently i just get used to it

well i havent yet lol

halfnormal
19-06-08, 21:13
I suffer from visual snow and migraines,

When my anxiety is high I tend to focus on the disturbances which make them worse.
They get worse everytime I have a migraine, had sight checked and apparently i just get used to it

well i havent yet lol

Haha yea I do the same thing. Its weird I've learned to handle my "panic Attacks' but that doesn't mean the anxiety isn't still there.

I'm actually going in for an eye excam today. Just want to make sure everything is ok with my eyes and also that I don't have any Intracranial pressure.

God I'm paranoid. must stop !!

djvtech
14-09-08, 11:40
Ever since my last major panic attack 3 days ago, I have been getting weird vision almost constantly for at least 30% of the time were it seems like everything is just out of place, surreal, or zoomed in or farther away, pretty mild but lasts several minutes each time and comes and goes frequently, feel on edge and sometimes causes anxiety if I think about it to much. Never have had this before though. but it happens so often that I'm getting used to it lol... O_o

Dazza
06-10-08, 16:45
yes - i've also been getting this recently.

I can see, but it's like i feel a bit crossed eyed, and things are not totally sharp, especially the futher away things are.

I had an eye test in May of this year, and I had 20/20 vision, so I can't believe that my eyes have 'gone wrong' since then. i feel dizzy most of the time too.

I've also got the accompanying chronic neck ache about which you talk. it's always there (apart from when i'm in bed), and the neck ache seems to be adding to the dizziness as does the visual disturbance. at first i thought that it was part of the derealisation, but not sure.

Not sure if the three sypmtoms are interlinked. I spoke to my GP about it last week, and he referred me for some neck x-rays. I've got to wait a few weeks before I get the results. He's also referred me for some physio for the neck.

Dazza
06-10-08, 19:07
hi pureobunny

thanks for the reply. another member also reminded me of the symptoms section of this site, which also states that distorted vision is a symptom of anxiety. Is there no end to how anxiety plays with our bodies?!! lol

thanks again.

Tanfies2
31-10-08, 01:44
Guy's & Girls,

First off, you are not alone. There are thousands of us experiencing the kind of visual disturbances that I've seen mentioned here in this thread. Most of us have to go through panic, anxiety, stress every days of our lives just for doctors to pass it off as madness.

I'm like all of you. I'm 31 and from the U.K and have been suffering from Visual Snow for the best part of 20 years. I also have bad static, visual trails, floaters, after images and all the other symtoms mentioned here including seeing wiggly worms (red blood cells) when looking at the th blue sky.

Straight lines seem distorted and I go through periods of blury vision due to the constant stress of focusing on this 24 hours a day. I like most of you have been given a full bill of health but something is wrong. Something that doctors have not taken much notice of because its not widley known.

The good thing is, there are 1,000's like you. 1000's campaigning for answers and doctors to stand up and notice this Visual Snow! Please visit this website where you can interact with others just like you. I'm there and it helps deal with the day to day problems we all go through.

At the moment, this website has found a US doctor that is prepared to study the effect of Visual Snow and hopefully come up with answers. In the mean time, at least be around other that understand what your going through. YOUR NOT ALONE!

www.visualsnow.com (http://www.visualsnow.com)

Kind regards,

Scott

Hainesy919
27-12-08, 04:50
I have had flickering vision since I was a soldier in Iraq, 2004. I was 22. One night I was leaving my tent to go to the bathroom, and my vision started flickering rapidly, like a strobe light in a night club, except there was none, obviously.

This does not happen to me ordinairly, only, and not always, in places where the light isn't to bright. I also have strange sleeping experiences such as outer body experiences, and sleeping paralysis - is this connected?

Thanks

Richard, a former British soldier.

Jo1962
10-02-09, 13:52
Having "googled" the words "visual disturbances" to try and reassure myself that I don't need to see a doctor - I have come across this site. Having had classical migraines on and off at various stages of my life, I had settled into a fairly complacent routine of getting only 1 every few months as I reached my mid-fifties, and the fact that I no longer got such a blinding headache after the eye symptoms, neither was I sick, made me much more relaxed about the whole migraine thing (which when I was about 12 used to literally ruin many social occasions and made me very anxious about when I would get one). However strangely this week, I have had peculiar visual symptoms (day three now) - starting in the evening with what appeared to be bright "snow" type lights crossing my left field of vision from top to bottom - as though I was being rained on. Then since it has developed into vague migrainous type lights and also lots of "floaters" but quite definite floaters. I have had no definite headache but slight one over left eye and the left forehead feels tender to the touch. Do I consult a doctor or do I persevere and put this down to something that will pass and I shouldn't get stressed about?! Trouble is that in my job I drive quite a lot and don't feel very confident if my left eye sight is experiencing this. Incidentally I am 58, pretty fit as I run and go to the gym regularly and don't think exercise makes much difference as I have been to gym and run in the three days I've had this. Any suggestions welcome.

****Hi sarahjon
I'm not sure when you wrote this but your symptoms sound exactly like those both my father and my best friend suffered, which were entirely unrelated to migraine, and were in fact symptoms of a detached retina. Both of them got treatment, my father with a laser and my friend an operation, and they made a full recovery, but the important thing is to get it checked by your optician urgently - speed is of the essence in treating a detached retina.
Good Luck
Jo****

Liverbird67
10-02-09, 18:33
Hiya

Thought I would add a little update to this, went to see an Ophthamologist yesterday due to these visual disturbance things she diagnosed occular migraine and reassurred me that it was defo not a stroke, however after putting drops in my eyes she was concerned that my optic nerve didn't look right and is sending me to the hospital in three months for a visual field test and a further look I am a bit concerned about MS I am quite worried as I am now adding two and two together and coming up with fear x 100 blasted Health Anxiety anyone else relate to this.

Cheers

Debbie

Daisyjan
11-05-09, 19:48
Hi there everyone! I'm new here. :yesyes:

I had a very scary incident I need answers to.This is the first forum I found that might be able to help.

I started to see irregular shapes move accross both eyes with stained glass window effects round the edges. :scared15: This lasted half an hour and although I was making soup, when I tried to sit down and fead I couldnt see well enough. I also realised I wouldnt be able to drive to the shops if this continued.

I phoned my optician who must have thought I was strange and when discussing it with her it went.

All I can think looking at your forum is it was a pre-migraine display as I have grown out of migraines for about 10 years. i only get 3 day headaches now.

Can anyone just let me know this is what it is? No headache afterwards but I have felt out of sorts and light headed for the rest of the day.

I went shopping though!

MissChampers
24-09-09, 12:16
I must say I'm really scared at the moment. I've been getting this thing with my eyesight for a couple of months where I feel cross eyed when I look at anything in the distance and I feel like I'm sensitive to the light. I took a trip to the GP explaining my symptoms which also includes, numbness, tingling and pins and needles all over my body. She said she'd refer me to a neurologist and I got a phone call the next day to go in and see him which was this morning. When I sat down he looked at the sheet in front of him then said so matter of factly "Suspected Brain tumour." As you can imagine this sent me into a complete panic as this was so out of the blue and I thought I was going to be sick. Any way he took some history down and ruled out MS with the pins and needles and numbness and said it could be the anxiety and panic which is causing these problems. As a precautionary measure he's referring me for a brain scan in around 6 weeks which is now just made my panic and anxiety leves shoot through the roof. I've not been suffering with headaches and my eyesight is perfect so I thought it strange she suspected a brain tumour. The neuro said the scan will probably come back normal but wants to check just to be on the safe side so now I've got this over my head for the next 6 weeks which is going to be living hell for my anxiety levels. I can honestly say I've never been so scared in my life :(

cousinwes
01-12-09, 13:12
Hi all, so glad i have found this thread, my thoughts go out to all you guys that have posted.
here goes, basicallly i have been suffering these strange visual disturbances for about 3 months now, blurry vision, after images, bright coloured lights, floaters. i have never had any trouble with my eyes in my entire life.
it coincided with me stopping ssri antidepressants citalopram,i have been checked out by opticians including retina scans, 2 doctors and they all say there is nothing wrong with me, that i have better than 20/20 vision and that it must be the medication withdrawall.

The trouble is that was 3 months ago and i have restarted the citalopram due to the anxiety of this and even that has not made any difference.

My question is this, does anyone else have experiences of these type of visual disturbances regarding antideppresant withdrawal, and if so, did things improve,/ how long or did they stay!

Any help regarding this would be much appreciated as i am worried sick, i have just came out of a terrible time regarding depression and anxiety and this is not helping at all.
Thanks.

swick@cogeco.ca
19-01-10, 22:34
Well, like most here, this was very new to me. I am 58 and in great health and all of a sudden I have had 3 occurances in 7 months. The first one I thought looked like stock charts and was (I thought) Bi lateral and it lasted for 5 - 8 minutes. I was in panic mode and thought I was stroking out or haing a fit! On Saturday past it was more in the left eye with jagged white lines flicking mostly at the periphery and then they finally went away.. there was no head ache but my panic was very evident. However, it felt like my peripheral vision in the left eye was less than normal. Today, it started as I came into a dark room and was looking at the computer screen after changing my glasses from distance to reading. It was like a small ball with jagged outside edges and then it got bigger and bigger and then disappeared with in 5 minutes. The sides of my head were sore ( muscles)

I went to the doctor, she took my BP and it was elevated as I was sure i was going into a coma next and she gave me eye drops and sent me to my optomtrist as the opthamologists in the area were too busy to see me today without a 8 hour wait.

The optomtrist asked tons of questions and checked out the peripheral vision and in the end suggested that I was experiencing a migraine headache without the migrain portion.. After each one I felt wiped, and I am sure that is from an adrenal dump ..

If I can believe the medical community, it is not common to have the light effects without the pain, but it is enough to make one appreciate normal vision but i must say I am apprehensive about having anymore of these... I will check out the drug amitripltine and see the concommitant side effects ... Oh yes, I bought a BP monitor too so I can make sure the BP is not an issue..

Thanks to all for posting, it is great to not feel so alone and isolated with this issue!

swick@cogeco.ca
19-01-10, 22:41
Miss Champers.. this is understandable. My dov thought she heard a gurgle in my carotid artery and I had to wait 2 weeks to find out whether my head was not being supplied with blood.. I am sure my BP was elevated and anxiety was over the top. All that said, I would rather have the scan and rule out any seriious stuff, then go through 2 docs today and still be left with the nagging question why nowm what really is it and most likely I am going to have a huge stroke. So, prayer is the best weapon here and although this may seem strange coming form a guy who is subject to panic when these events happen, I can tell you the only peace I had for those 2 weeks was the time I committed the issue to the Lord .. I am still learning that I am not in control of anything and I live each day rejoicing and by grace... Have the scan and in the end, only God has control of your life... so rest in Him!

pinky123
04-04-10, 13:09
My vision is ALWAYS casuing me worry, i'm always dizzy too but it would be nice to know if anybody experiences a brief slip of vision...it's hard to explain but what i mean is like every thing suddenly slips to one side really quickly but then returns to normal as quickly as it came on?

Feel like one day i will just die...all these symptoms cant be anxiety? can they?:weep:

hpay
04-04-10, 23:49
I can relate to having visual disturbances it started with tingling on top of my head and face then I started to get floaters which freaked me out so bad then I started to see little bright lights I got so scared I went to emergency where he told me I had a inner ear infection I took antibiotics and it never helped it got worse the tingling started ion my arms then hands and feet I started getting sharp pains in head and headaches I feared I had a brain tumor! It was so scary it plagued every thought I was sure I wass going to die! I went to emerg and he told me flat out anxiety cause I also had chest pains! So it all was a nightmare untill I found this site!

Hjaltland
07-04-10, 16:42
I'm so glad I found this site as I've been having visual disturbances for the last 3 years and was convinced that I was coming down with a brain tumour.

I am over 60 now and in good shape. I've worked in a very active job all my life but have eased off the physical side lately (but more stress!)

The first time I experienced a VD I was aware of an out of focus small area in the middle of my vision - right eye - which went when a semicircular shimmering jagged line appeared to one side and gradually spread out to the periphery of my sight until it disappeared. All this took a period of 15 mins or so and then all was back to normal. I have no headaches but sometimes have a little numbness to the side of my right eye.

Lately the attacks have increased in number and severity - the shimmering semicircle now forms to the left of the unfocused portion and passes into the left eye over a period of 20 minutes.

I have had extensive eye examinations which have found nothing wrong. I have had medical exams, blood tests, blood flow measurements etc and nothing has been found out of order, thankfully. The doc came to the conclusion that I am having migraines, I have no headache with these.

When this first happened I was very concerned but now I find it mildly interesting. The doc thinks some medication for migraine may help... I'll let you know if it does.. finding this site certainly is a relief.

Oh, I forgot to say that this is particularly annoying when I'm driving .. I have to pull off the road and wait through the attack:yahoo:

Kipepeo Girl
27-04-10, 11:55
I can relate to having visual disturbances it started with tingling on top of my head and face then I started to get floaters which freaked me out so bad then I started to see little bright lights I got so scared I went to emergency where he told me I had a inner ear infection I took antibiotics and it never helped it got worse the tingling started ion my arms then hands and feet I started getting sharp pains in head and headaches I feared I had a brain tumor! It was so scary it plagued every thought I was sure I wass going to die! I went to emerg and he told me flat out anxiety cause I also had chest pains! So it all was a nightmare untill I found this site!
I always suffer with tingling/numbness in my hands and face when I have a migraine.

I get a few visual disturbances, which sometimes make me anxious, but mostly I ignore them. I get coloured 'blobs' which appear in my vision. They look a bit like the afterimage when you look at a light. I usually get them when I'm anxious or have done a lot of exercise.
Sometimes I get silvery lines in front of my eyes (which I think look a bit like faded stretch marks). They either flash in time with my pulse or appear when I cough.
The last one is when I look at something bright or white and see floaters. The floaters themselves are white/clear but I have three or four black dots which kind of 'sparkle' in one spot in my vision.

catherine goss
22-09-10, 23:08
I just want to say that I'm very pleased to read about people who are experiencing the same thing as I am. I have had these 'visual disturbances' on and of for a long time now but they have recently become more frequent and I would like to know why, and what I can do about it. They are generally milder now than they used to be but still quite disturbing and leaving me feeling with that 'washed out' feeling. Like a lot of people I usually don't have a head ache, just a bit of a 'heady' feeling. Anyway it's nice to know im not alone!

eloise14
23-09-10, 10:56
i have had these visual disturbances for 3 months now how long do they last? x

Snap
26-09-10, 04:24
Visual disturbances are probably the worst syptom I have. At least, it's the one that I obsess the most about. I find too much light 'flashy' and distracting. I see after-images of things that are moving. Of course, we always see these, but they become distracting also. I see shimmering, particulalry when reading and looking at screens. I perceive strobe-like effects on written pages also. If it's cloudy, I struggle with gloomy light outside: it seems to make some of the disturbances more pronounced.

I've come to think that most of these are just normal parts of vision that I tune in to too much. Sometimes when I'm calm, I notice them and they don't worry me. Other times, I feel overwhelmed by them.

S

Snap
26-09-10, 04:30
i have had these visual disturbances for 3 months now how long do they last? x

Eloise, I doubt anyone can answer that. For me, what happened is that the disturbances never really went away. At first I first found them distracting, and at times disturbing. For long periods since then, I've noticed them but they have not worried me. During those periods, I became convinced they're just a normal part of vision that I notice more in a bad frame of mind.

They've been bothering me a lot lately, but they haven't for a long time before recently. I expect they'll fade away again, in terms of how much they consume me. It might take a while for that to happen though.

eloise14
26-09-10, 08:45
thankyou snap for your reply, this is one of my worst symptoms i guess cos they are 24/7 like my tinitus, i had scans etc all clear but just wish i could be normal again x

karenza
02-10-10, 22:39
my son has like a snowy sight and cant sleep for flashes in his eyes when shut, its hard to help, drs found nothing waiting for eye test at home as he cant leave home far, any ideas

BasilCat
06-11-10, 11:07
Hi, I get these visual too, have had them on and off for 30 years now. They started when I was 20 and I am now 53 and even after 30 years of them, they scare me to death. I always hope that if I go into town or get a train somewhere, say into Liverpool 20 miles away, that I dont get one, because I always like to be on my own when they come, and preferably in bed. I was once on a coach to Stratford on Avon a couple of year ago and I got one on the coach! No place to hide there. The disturbances are like lots of flashing lights and zig zags that get bigger and bigger. The only "Good" thing about them is that they only last half an hour. Why that should be, I dont know but I can usually bet that once one has started it will be gone 30 minutes later. I get these disturbances usually two or three times a year but have had about 5 this year, two of them only being weeks apart.

BasilCat

Hjaltland
29-11-10, 13:32
I have found that taking vitamin B complex has coincided with a marked drop in these visual disturbances.

helz_belz
29-03-11, 11:43
funnily enough my visual disturbances (shimmering, sparkles, retina burn) came on AFTER i came off a vitamin b complex. I got a toxic reaction to the b6, so had to come off to detox (b6 can cause peripheral neuropathy in toxic levels, i couldnt walk properly was so bad). b vitamins can be addictive in the body, so coming off them means my nerves have to readjust to lower levels. in a way its good to know that b vitamins are a factor in this, hopefully once I'm fully detoxed my vision will return to normal.

Alabasterlyn
29-03-11, 11:57
I started having some visual disturbances a couple of months ago. For me it was like seeing a flash from a camera out of the inner corner of my left eye. As quickly as I looked towards it though it was gone. I did go to my optician, who had no idea what it was and referred me to my GP. Didn't have a very good time with the GP as she said it "could" be the start of a detached retina and then told me it would take up to 3wks to be seen on the NHS.

I decided to see an opthamologist privately and spent about 50mins being tested for various things. Was eventually told it's something to do with the vitreous cover on the eye that pulls as you move your eyes and not to worry about it. Also was told I had something called a schisis, which is a thinning of the retina, but that apparently is also nothing to worry about.

Guns
15-02-12, 19:57
Hi folks, I just found this forum and thought I'd ask if anyone else has the same symptom as me.
Rather than sparkes or spots in my vision I actually get a transparent hole in my central vision. The best way I can describe it is imagine you are staring straight ahead, say face to face with someone. Initially, I can see the other person just fine, but when the symptons come on (and the come on in an instant, no build up) it is like someone erased the face of the person I was looking at. I can see everything around them in my peripheral vision, but the face is just a transparent hole.

The attacks last anything from 15 minutes to several days and have improved since trialling several differing medications from my GP. At present, I take one 40mg propanalol (Beta Blockers) a day, usually in the evening. I was prescribed 2 a day but the effect on my heart was disturbing as it lowers your blood pressure and slows the heart rate. One a day is fine for now. Instead of 2-3 attacks a week I now only get maybe 2 a month sometimes even longer.
I am not stressed, I am not an anxious person so I have no idea what is triggering these attacks, but I'd really like to hear if anyone else gets this syptom and what they do to prevent or relieve it.

Thanks

Ian

Mindful
15-02-12, 20:27
It sounds very much like an aura migraine to me, has the doc mentioned this at all? x

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

My post was in reply to guns, i should have quoted you, sorry x

happycarrot
15-02-12, 23:16
I agree with Mindful--that sounds very much like a migraine with aura. It's possible to get the aura (in your case, visual symptoms) without getting a severe headache or even much of a headache at all. Beta blockers are commonly used to prevent these migraines--that's why I take a beta blocker--so the medication should help. I would ask the doctor if migraine is a possibility in your case.

OliviaD
29-08-12, 22:07
Hi -

I just found this blog. My first visual aura (acephalgic migraine) was almost 50 years ago. I never get the headache; and yes I know that puts me in about 1% of the population!

Dave

Hi, Dave. That's interesting to hear! Among my many visual disturbances, I - very rarely - get scintillating scotomas, but I've never ever had headache with it.
First one was when I was 14, I think, more than 20 years ago.

:)

TomTom4049
18-11-12, 22:55
I too have had this occur four times in my 53 1/2 years of age. The first time was while in High School, 9th grade I think. On the way home I noticed a very round area to the right side of my peripheral vision with diagonal strips of quickly alternating black and white. I could not look directly at it. I thought this was odd and after a time I noticed I was getting a worsening headache. Later I'd describe it as a migraine. I had another one 20 years later followed by a similar migraine. Then I had the third about 7 years after the last. Now, about 6 years later, I had the fourth one this past Friday afternoon. I was using my computer and noticed I was having difficulty seeing areas of the screen and noticed the shimmering area on my lower right but it was still evident when I closed my right eye. Come to think of it, the shimmering has each time been on the right side of my field of vision. Looking at a external CD ROM drive laying close by with the word SAMSUNG on the top, all I could see was the S and the rest just wasn't visible to me. If I shifted my focal point off to the left I could see the whole word. I was pretty sure what was happening, scintillating scotoma, and immediately took two liquid capsule Ibuprofen. Within less than 20 minutes the visual effect began to subside (5 minutes or so once it began to fade). I kept a dull headache for the rest of the evening but it wasn't too much of an issue. I suppose I will have these on and off for the rest of my life. Each of the last two times I immediately thought "stroke" but dismissed that after recognizing it as a recurrence of scintillation scotoma. I suggest (if you tolerate Ibuprofen well, or Tylenol or aspirin) to take a couple, the sooner the better, to head-off the severity of the headache and for me at least, elimination of the visual disturbance itself. :)

Ronno
19-11-12, 19:36
Hi , I've had optic migraines on and off for 15 years , it starts off with a blind spot followed by the zig zag flashing lights around 40 mins later it's gone , leaving me washed out for a few days , I don't know why they scare me but they do , fuelling my anxiety of course . A point of interest most start with me trying to see in low light ? Focusing my eyes on one spot and then that sometimes starts the optic migraine off , others say its bright light . But I have read that when one starts drink plenty of fluids and that shortens the optic migraine ?
Hope that's of interest .