PDA

View Full Version : Sick of these ESV's and panic attacks

n3r0x1k
29-06-07, 00:56
edit: the title mentions "ESV's", but I meant PVC's, I live in Quebec and here doctors use french terms :P

Hey everyone,

I guess I just need some reassurance or atleast some feedback as to if this is normal or if any of you feel or have felt the same. First, I've been taking meds for anxiety and severe panic attacks (very frequent and high in intensity) for the last 8 years, I'm 25. Now the last few months I've been augmented to the almost highest dose of Paxil so I can't go higher but still have panic attacks that are extreme, but that's beside the point. My real issue here is I've always, since age 13 as I recall, had these wierd symptoms of my heart thudding/"flipping over"/or fluttering, and I've learned last week that they're PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions). I went to the ER last week because they've become constant and disturbing, 24/7, and the Holter detected over 10000 on a 24 hour test. So what I've feared all my life: death, heart problems/attacks/failure/whatever, I'm afraid I'm having. The doctor, which I must revisit soon I just didn't get my appointment yet, said it was non-fatal and that it's just that I feel them more than most people and have more. Okay, so it's not going to kill me... but I'm so scared cuz I'm not convinced. When I do jogging, cuz they said: do more excercise and it'll bring down the PVC's, but they only augment the more physical effort I exert, and I get all out-of-breath and dizzy. So maybe they missed out on something or I dunno? All this is bringing me real down, I've never been depressed all my life, cuz I fear I might die or have a heart complication at any second. So this is it, my story, I just want some feedback please, I'm suffering more than ever. Thanks.

Southern_Belle
29-06-07, 03:57
Hi,

I know how it feels to suffer from anxiety. I too have the heart pounding feeling and wake up with it every morning and usually go to bed with it at night. During the day I don't notice it as much but then again I don't exercise. I too take Paxil Extended Release but at the lowest dose but I'm a petite person. I have found it has helped me alot. Perhaps running isn't the best exercise for you at this time. Maybe swimming or something more low key might be the best answer. Your doctor has already told you this is not going to kill you so focus on that information. Even though you feel like you are going to die you aren't. I can imagine the way you feel must be making you feel depressed and I think counseling would help. I have seen a psychologist for my anxiety. Ask your doctor what he recommends. Good luck and let me know (if you want) through pm how it goes. You are not alone here we care.

Laura

n3r0x1k
29-06-07, 07:46
Thanks alot for your input, it does help to know that I'm not alone. About consultation. I already have Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, but I started quiting my medication today (I'll go VEERRY gradually) cuz since the time I'm at this higher dose, I have wierd impulses and greater depression that I don't want and I'm telling myself that if I can do as much panic attacks on these meds as without them, why not just stop them. My shrink even encouraged me to do so. Then for the so frequent "ectopic" heartbeats and palpitations, I'm trying hard as hell to quit smoking, cuz I've eliminated other triggers like caffeine, lack of sleep and food, etc...

Hopefully I'll come out strong. Thanks for your offer to help through PM, I'll just see how the following days go :)

Southern_Belle
29-06-07, 16:20
Hi,

Just a thought, do you think you are more depressed than anything else? If so, I don't think paxil is the right med for you. I've tried them all and paxil is best for anxiety but not depression it wouldn't touch it, I would say it would make it worse. I'm not depressed at all so it helps me with anxiety. I think it is a great idea to quit smoking. Good luck going off paxil and I would take it slow. I do think you will come out strong. :)

Laura

Keitharcher
29-06-07, 20:27
Hi

it seems to me that you are on the spiral, you know whats good for you yet your afraid to do it for fear of other effects, this in turn increases your original symptoms and thoughts. I can only tell you what worked for me, that is to step back and smell the flowers. By that i mean let the world turn on its own, take the ride start to enjoy life. Just look around you, the world is a pretty wondeful place and its beatiful as well. If you start to look around and let yourself be taken in by it all you will not have time to suffer anxiety and depression. Dont try and compete all the time, be yourself, take stock of life and look for the positives in every thing, soon you will find yourself whistling to work and enjoying life, you will have forgotten what anxiety is. it worked for me

Keith

n3r0x1k
02-08-07, 20:59
@Keitharcher: Thanks for your post, it really helps! I guess you're right and I'm willing to try, although these obsessions are so haunting it's hard to unprogram myself, but I'll try.