PDA

View Full Version : Hepatitis C and Nail Salons

nibuyong
15-01-18, 15:43
Hi!

Long time listening, first time caller situation. These forums have helped a lot, introduced me to Headspace app and different techniques. These prove very effective :yesyes:! But sometimes the anxiety butts in and I feel helpless and crazy. Like right now at midnight when I can't sleep!

I have HA and have had on and off for around 14 years (which seems A CRAZY LONG TIME SINCE I AM ONLY 26).My dad died suddenly when I was 12 so it makes sense where this fear came from. Actually for a few years it went away but whenever I have big stresses it emerges.

I live in a country that requires me to apply for a work permit and this Feb I am moving city. I have all my documents ready but I have a few things I need to arrange and it is proving a little difficult, just time consuming. I have to take a medical check which will include Hep C, Hep B, HIV.... If I fail then basically I lose my job and go back to the UK, which wouldn't be great for my career or language learning. Also how would I explain I got Hep C from a MANICURE.

Last year I visited the hospital for a blood test to check for HIV, Hep A, B and C. I didn't think anything of it and surprisingly it didn't even trigger anything!

Anyway, I have had all my vaccinations in line with the country requirements and take health precautions as usual. Last summer I travelled to Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam. Me and my friend went for manicures and pedicures and as many people were doing them I didn't even THINK of disease.

However, as I going for booster shots I decided to read on what I need and don't need. I looked at Hep C and found tonnes of stuff that said it could be caught from getting MANICURES AND PEDICURES. For two days I have read EVERYTHING and just feel so overwhelmed (Google is great for memes and pretty terrible for my HA). :wacko::wacko::wacko:

It was clean place but I couldn't say whether things were proper sterilised or use more than once. Saying that, it was a clean place, there were 2 American women who were regulars there getting massages and nail treatments (which I took for it being a decent ish place if these girls were coming back). I have googled so much and I feel overwhelmed and a little weak. I found out that in Vietnam, like the west, HCV prevalence is as low, if not lower, in the general population that the US and is highly concentrated in their drug users.

1. How high is the risk of ACTUALLY getting Hep C from a manicure/pedicure? I wasn't bleeding and I remember it being a little sore for an hour or so but I had never had this dude before so they took all my dead skin away.

2. Whenever I travel I check the gov.uk travel website, it doesn't mention DO NOT GET MANICURES, so if it was a huge risk I would have read about it? I am so worried, I can't sleep or eat. I have nearly split up with my boyfriend thinking he wouldn't love me with this disease.

That's all. Sorry it is such a long post. Last year I had a TERRIBLE HIV HA and ended up getting tested and reassured by the doctor in South Korea :weep::weep:.

Thank you for all your help in advance. This site is beyond amazing.:bighug1::bighug1:

*I have my Hep A and B vaccines because I need them for the country I live in!

SnowyGreen
16-01-18, 06:23
'

nibuyong
16-01-18, 08:31
Thanks for the reply! :)

I figured if it was SUCH a risk then there would be more media on it and not just a few scare articles.

Yeah, I realise it is curable (albeit expensive) but my main issue is if I have hep C that I will be deported from the country I live in, which is a scare. But that might also have been a trigger for anxiety, a upcoming medical always fills me with fear!

Thanks!